FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: E-brake handle won't thread

Post Thanks / Like

E-brake handle won't thread

Any one else out there had an issue threading the E-brake handle (the chrome piece) onto the E-brake fixture? I can get it till it has about three threads left. After that, anything I can think of is going to really mess up the the chrome.

Does it go all the way to till the threads are hidden?

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW - I did put some WD40 on there as suggested by the manual...

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Put it all together. If you can operate the button properly it will be OK as is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks - I did try that but since the handle isn't threaded fully the button ends up inside the handle.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone has had to grip the chrome, have they used anything unconventional besides rubber (I'm using an old bushing) or leather (a leather glove), both in a vise.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had a tight one once. I cleaned up the threads on the metal with my wire wheel. Then it went on say.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by welske View Post
    I guess I'm wondering if anyone has had to grip the chrome, have they used anything unconventional besides rubber (I'm using an old bushing) or leather (a leather glove), both in a vise.

Not specific to this problem, but if you have a vice and need to grip stuff that you don't want to mark up, I highly recommend a set of jaw covers. Something like these. I actually have a set of each of these, and they come in handy nearly every single day:

https://www.amazon.com/Yost-MU360-Un...s%2C192&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Yost-UP360-Un...s%2C192&sr=8-4
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of people had trouble with these threads. They need to be cleaned up and lightly lubricated - took mine from a 'no go' to 'nice and easy'.
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW that handle (and button) is polished aluminum. Not chrome. It will scratch/mar/dent pretty easily. So don't manhandle it. I wouldn't put it in a vise. You should be able to get both sets of threads cleaned up for it to assemble. The ones I've done were a little stubborn at first as well.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have a tap and die set, you could just clean the threads up pretty quick, especially of its aluminum..