Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Brake switch upgrade?

Post Thanks / Like

Brake switch upgrade?

Two questions:
    1) Like many others... my brake light switch broke. I found a replacement at Summit Racing (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...FUSi4Aod7ykA2Q) but I'd like to know if there is a better switch out there.

2) Also, does the brake pedal have a return spring? I dont have one but I wondering if it needs one? If so, pic's?

IMG_1540.JPG
    IMG_1542.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    OEM Ford switch is a good quality, if you can make it work for your pedal set up..

Post Thanks / Like
    Wilwood brake pedal? How about a Motorcraft switch?
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...122804&jsn=442
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    awsome! that will work. Thanks for the link.
    What about a return spring on the brake pedal? I have Wilwood pedals.

Post Thanks / Like
    ACDelco D885 GM OE switch is the same size and function as the switches noted above. I found the genuine GM switch (as opposed to the various look alikes) to work better. Appears better made and most importantly the plunger is not nearly so sensitive to set proper. I found it on Amazon and have purchased several with similar results.

Factory Five is supplying a different style switch now. (Maybe because of reported problems with the previous version?) I received them with my Gen 3 kit from a little over one year ago. So far seem to work fine and easy enough to adjust. Visible mounted on the footbox in the pic below.

No spring on the brake pedal. The return spring is inside the master cylinder. Pushes the piston inside back against the internal stop when the pedal is released. Nothing additional is necessary.

Last edited by edwardb; 04-26-2019 at 03:44 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.