Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: E brake too much tension

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

E brake too much tension

Hi,
    I just installed my mustang parking brake and the rear wheels are binding. With the handle released there is quite a bit of tension. It took some effort to connect the cables. If the cable on the park brake was a half inch to a inch longer it would work great.
    Mk4 ordered 1/3/18, IRS, Coyote, T56 Magnum

Post Thanks / Like
    I looked up and saw that the park brake handle automatically adjusts the tension tighter. I have to figure out how to release it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Look at the handle, there are two sprockets. Disable the drive side sprocket temporarily and release the spring. We then set the brake and drill a new hole in the main sprocket. The key is to have NO tension on the cables when handle is down. Then work when pulled. It is a bit of a fine line. HTH, Richard. PS make sure you understand how it works before you do all this.
    Richard Oben FFR builder www.northracecars.com

Need help finishing your project we can help here or at your shop.

FFR GTM #34 first GTM with working AC. 400 hp LS1 w/G50
    FFR coupe 3617CP 331 Stack EFI T-5 IRS Cobra brakes, AC/heat.
    Both cars by NRC, we can build (and have built) any FFR product.
    We also make and sell a ton of great parts for the FFR community.
    Brake kits, AC systems, #1 supplier of Team III wheels.

4. Thanks WIS89 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps some info on this old thread will help you.

https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...djustment.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,I'm having a problem with my brakes all disc no power Bost I can't get them to lock up 94 mustang GT peddle and spindle and set up,with a willwood booster 15/16bor I need better stopping can you help afdandy @outlook.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks
    I don’t quite understand the reason for drilling a hole. Is that to pin it temporarily?

I also did not see anywhere in the directions to cut the spring. However I believe that might take care of the problem. I just hate to do something permanently that may be the wrong thing without at least some guidance.

Can I remove the spring?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure either, what Richards means about drilling a new hole? My e-brake already had a hole in the cable pulley, I used for pinning it, but my e-brake was from a 90 donor, so the new ones may not have that.

You could remove the spring I suppose, although simply disengaging it should have the same benefit. I believe there was another thread on FFCars, that described how that is done.

Post Thanks / Like
    I cut the spring and it works much better now.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's good to hear. Like I said, I wasn't sure if that was required any longer with the later model handle.

Curious why it worked OK for Sean? His calipers have heavier return springs, or slightly longer cables?
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    That's good to hear. Like I said, I wasn't sure if that was required any longer with the later model handle.

Curious why it worked OK for Sean? His calipers have heavier return springs, or slightly longer cables?
    Everything on my ebrake setup is (new) OEM Ford stuff. 1995 GT handle, cables and (originally) calipers. I've changed the rear caliper/rotor style over time but the brake handle/cable setup has remained the same and it continues to work as designed. I even use the handle release switch Ford built in to activate my DRL module! I can understand the need to modify the handle when switching from rear drums to discs, but I can't see any reason to modify any of the components from OEM rear disc setup to get the ebrake to work in the roadster. All the components (handle, cables, calipers etc.) were designed to work together. Go figure?

Sean
    MK 3.5 roadster (MK IV body retrofit to MK III chassis) 396W stroker, 4 bbl mass air EFI, QH (self-tuned), AFR 195CC Renegade, XE274HR, GP 4-1-4 SS headers, 3link, 3.73, 15" Halibrand replicas, SAI mod, bumpers, 2 X roll bars, IČ electronics, PS, hydroboosted brakes: 95 GT front, custom MK VIII calipers/Cobra discs rear, FFR front, Levy rear LCA's, Forte front, VPM rear bars, CF dash, mod comp layout w/Auto Meter Ultra-Lites, Lucas tri-bar headlights, coupe taillights, painted by SRP (again!)

Post Thanks / Like
    When you say to disable the spring do you mean temporarily or permanently?

Post Thanks / Like
    This picture is one mod that was used on the pre 94 donor handles.

The idea was that the self adjuster on the donor handle, was no longer needed when using disc brakes, instead of donor drum brakes. The concern was with using disc brakes, if the adjuster ratcheted up a notch, it may cause brake drag. Brake return springs on a drum brake were much stronger then a disc brake, and could overcome any tension from the cable. The handle basically became a lever with a pivot point, to tension the cable. Like the new FFR optional handle is, and the Lokar handles some use..

Now I have no idea if this same mod would apply to the later donor (94+) handle though, as it may have come from a Mustang with disc brakes. It well may be the handle's self adjuster just needs to be released a notch or two, to give the cable some more slack.
    Hopefully someone using the later model donor e-brake handle can chip in.
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    ...Now I have no idea if this same mod would apply to the later donor (94+) handle though, as it may have come from a Mustang with disc brakes. It well may be the handle's self adjuster just needs to be released a notch or two, to give the cable some more slack.
    Hopefully someone using the later model donor e-brake handle can chip in.
    I have all 1995 GT era (new parts) handle and cables etc.. No modification of handle or spring was required with either the stock GT rear calipers/rotors, Cobra upgrade or the Lincoln MK VIII calipers I have on now.

Sean
    MK 3.5 roadster (MK IV body retrofit to MK III chassis) 396W stroker, 4 bbl mass air EFI, QH (self-tuned), AFR 195CC Renegade, XE274HR, GP 4-1-4 SS headers, 3link, 3.73, 15" Halibrand replicas, SAI mod, bumpers, 2 X roll bars, IČ electronics, PS, hydroboosted brakes: 95 GT front, custom MK VIII calipers/Cobra discs rear, FFR front, Levy rear LCA's, Forte front, VPM rear bars, CF dash, mod comp layout w/Auto Meter Ultra-Lites, Lucas tri-bar headlights, coupe taillights, painted by SRP (again!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I am running 95 brakes and didn’t modify the handle. It works perfectly and self adjusts as designed.

Norm