FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Air compressor choice?

Post Thanks / Like

Air compressor choice?

I am planning on doing my own body work and hope to start this summer. I need to get a new air compressor. Will a 30 gallon compressor 120 V that puts out 5.1 CFM at 175 PSI and 175 maximum PSI be enough? I obviously could purchase a larger one but would then need an electrician to run a 240V line in my garage. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Craig

Post Thanks / Like
    Will you be doing any painting?

Post Thanks / Like
    That ones a bit small. You want something in the 14cfm @150-175 with a 60 gallon tank. Also depends how many (and what kind) of air tools you are using and are you priming and painting...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    I will be priming and painting as a have read all the painting threads. I don't use any air tools but it sounds like 30 gallons wont due.

Post Thanks / Like
    This one is a stretch. FS-Curtis #CTSGMV 2hp, 120v, 5.5@90, 30gal. The 5.5 at 90 rather then 175 is a very big difference. I would much rather see you run 220v and get a compressor that is able to keep up. There are a lot of compressors in the 900-1000 dollar range that would do the job for you...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Appreciate the advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    I really wanted a 240V 60 gallon compressor but didn't have the space for it. I'd just about pulled the trigger on a 120V 30 gallon unit when I found this:

https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com...yABEgLZ2vD_BwE

It's not much bigger than the 120V 30 gallon units but puts out 3 times as much air volume. It did require having an electrician add a 240V line, but it was WELL worth it. I'm so glad I went this route.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    I really wanted a 240V 60 gallon compressor but didn't have the space for it. I'd just about pulled the trigger on a 120V 30 gallon unit when I found this:

https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com...yABEgLZ2vD_BwE

It's not much bigger than the 120V 30 gallon units but puts out 3 times as much air volume. It did require having an electrician add a 240V line, but it was WELL worth it. I'm so glad I went this route.

Great choice for the DIY....14@90 is right where you want to be for spraying.

9. Thanks JohnK thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kaser

Post Thanks / Like
    *caveat* I'm NOT a bodywork expert. Make NO mistake about this. I'm a garage DIYer like many of us. nothing more. I offer only my recent experience. */caveat*

I managed to pull it off with my setup. A setup that some might shrug at.
    You see, there's "ideal", then, there's what "should" work, then wan't "shouldn't" work, finally there's what happens to work.
    I have an older crafstman 20gal 5hp 220v compressor.
    I measured it's actual CFM output to be 9.8CFM at 90PSI. This isn't the sticker on the compressor, I did an actual measurement test to get this value. Lots of info online how to do this.
    I also picked a hvlp gun that was listed as only needing between 5-9cfm at 40psi. The Eastwood Concourse 2 HVLP.
    My compressor had no problems keeping up with me at all. Not that I was paying close attention, but it was not running at 100% duty cycle at all. I'd venture to say in the realm of 50-60% duty cycle.
    No surprise there really, if at 100% duty cycle it'll do 10cfm, I expected 50% duty cycle should be just right for the gun I had.
    I had a few other additional upgrades that I think helped along the way. (despite my momentary FishEye freak-out)
    - larger 3/8" air quick-couplers on everything. Not a single point on my setup has a 1/4 coupler. HomeDepot sells them.
    - additional small 110v fan blowing air on the pump to help keep it cooler.
    - DIY 10' tall black-pipe water trap with drain.
    - desiccant air dryer right after water trap
    - standard air filter, and regulator
    2016 MK4 | '99 Explorer 5.0 | E303&600cfm carb | T5z + 3.55 | 3-link | SN95 | PB/PS | FR500 17" 315&275 |

12. Thanks WIS89 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skidd View Post
    *caveat* I'm NOT a bodywork expert. Make NO mistake about this. I'm a garage DIYer like many of us. nothing more. I offer only my recent experience. */caveat*

I managed to pull it off with my setup. A setup that some might shrug at.
    You see, there's "ideal", then, there's what "should" work, then wan't "shouldn't" work, finally there's what happens to work.
    I have an older crafstman 20gal 5hp 220v compressor.
    I measured it's actual CFM output to be 9.8CFM at 90PSI. This isn't the sticker on the compressor, I did an actual measurement test to get this value. Lots of info online how to do this.
    I also picked a hvlp gun that was listed as only needing between 5-9cfm at 40psi. The Eastwood Concourse 2 HVLP.
    My compressor had no problems keeping up with me at all. Not that I was paying close attention, but it was not running at 100% duty cycle at all. I'd venture to say in the realm of 50-60% duty cycle.
    No surprise there really, if at 100% duty cycle it'll do 10cfm, I expected 50% duty cycle should be just right for the gun I had.
    I had a few other additional upgrades that I think helped along the way. (despite my momentary FishEye freak-out)
    - larger 3/8" air quick-couplers on everything. Not a single point on my setup has a 1/4 coupler. HomeDepot sells them.
    - additional small 110v fan blowing air on the pump to help keep it cooler.
    - DIY 10' tall black-pipe water trap with drain.
    - desiccant air dryer right after water trap
    - standard air filter, and regulator

Yep ! There's always one guy who thinks.....(kidding)…...HVLP guns help a lot. Good job on your calcs. I guess I'm so used to Big Mamma Jamma air compressors I have a hard time dialing back. The big bleeders are air grinders, angle grinders and orbital sanders . I forget you guys are doing a lot by hand (bless your hearts)…….That being said. I'm sticking by my 220v, 14cfm@90 oil cooled two stage.....good enough for any man worth his salt. Sooooo Skidd…...GIVE THE SALT BACK......NOW !!!please......lolololol...da Bat.....oh, it did not escape me that you managed to get "doody cycle" in there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi skidd, thanks for the real world update. I’ve been following your thread and actually was wondering what you used. Either way I need to buy a new compressor. Mr. Miller, thanks for the advice. Always good to hear from a pro.

Craig

Post Thanks / Like
    Get the bigger one and be done- you will be happier in the long run!

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I recently picked this unit up from Tractor Supply since it was portable and crazy cheap since it was a Grand Opening Special for only $329.99.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...BoCRxQQAvD_BwE

So far it has been a good unit with enough air for my needs, but understand it may be a bit undersized for your needs since I'm only using it for my D/A, grinders and some priming.

The final paintwork will be done at one of my friend's shops since they know what they are doing.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 03-16-2019 at 06:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep in mind that most of the 110V compressors require a 20amp (12awg) circuit to run properly, so if all you have are 15amp (14awg) outlets found in most newer construction, you'll need to upgrade your electrical anyway. Might as well go with a 220V setup and a big tank and call it a day.
    Last edited by Papa; 03-16-2019 at 12:54 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Keep in mind that most of the 110V compressors require a 20amp (12awg) circuit to run properly, so if all you have are 15amp (14awg) outlets found in most newer construction, you'll need to upgrade your electrical anyway. Might as well go with a 220V setup and a big tank and call it a day.
    FYI / Papa Is A Professional E.E. So Take His Advice When Considering Your Compressor's Electrical Needs! / FYI

Post Thanks / Like
    I currently have a 60 gallon, 220V much older compressor. Truthfully it has served me well for many years. It's noisy and the duty cycle is no longer that great, but it works! However lately I have been looking at the new scroll compressor that Eastwood is selling. https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-qs...ompressor.html. Does anyone have any experience with this compressor? I'd be interested in your thoughts! Thanks, Joel

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by japollon View Post
    I currently have a 60 gallon, 220V much older compressor. Truthfully it has served me well for many years. It's noisy and the duty cycle is no longer that great, but it works! However lately I have been looking at the new scroll compressor that Eastwood is selling. https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-qs...ompressor.html. Does anyone have any experience with this compressor? I'd be interested in your thoughts! Thanks, Joel

Have heard good things....it's what you don't hear is the best part. The specs are good. The price? well you gonna pay for that quiet bubba....da bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, dammed expensive.....$1800! Perhaps the price will come down on scroll compressors in the future. In the meantime, earplugs are cheap!