Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gen 3 Engine Install

Post Thanks / Like

Gen 3 Engine Install

Looking for some insight into my shifter location. This is a Gen 3 Coupe with a 347 and TKO trans. Finally got it in the chassis last night to verify clearance for accessories/routing. The shifter boot is pretty hard against the diagonal tube and I can't quite line up the trans isolator with the trans crossmember slots. I have the crossmember installed as per the manual (flange towards the rear, pointing down and sitting on top of the frame brackets). It almost looks like the crossmember should be mounted to the bottom of the frame brackets. I know most folks are running the coyote but if anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated.

Eng Install_2.jpgEng Install_1.jpgTKO Shifter.jpg

Manual.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a mid shift on mine and it fits well. I did have to drill new holes in the transmission mount to make it fit, it did not fit either way as delivered from FFR. I have a Dart 363 TKO 600 in my Gen 3, it is #16 so an early one. Test fit the aluminum around the shifter and you will see how a mid shifter will work. I got the conversion kit from Forte and it is not hard to install, follow instruction on the Tremec web site.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

3. Thanks Tuftster thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    looks awesome !!

5. Thanks Tuftster thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are a little ahead of me, but I have spoken to Factory Five and they have confirmed that with my 427/TKO combo, I will want to use the Mid Shift location. You would need to cut the frame to use the rear location.

Post Thanks / Like
    here is a picture with the mid shifter set up I have. This is a 6 inch lever, it looks long but the throws are good and it is easy to use. I got a few hundred miles on the car before Winter. The Forte set up includes a better shifter then the one that comes with the TKO, I added the lever but you can drill a new hole on the one that comes with the kit to make it work.
    shifter.jpeg
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004

Post Thanks / Like
    On my install I wanted the hand break on the left side of the tunnel and that cross brace was in the way.
    I cut it out and rewelded in a better spot.
    In your situation making two cuts and rewelding a new piece along side of the two stubs may do the trick if you want to keep the shifter in that location.

HTH,

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks folks. Much appreciate the feedback. I'll order the midshift from Mike Forte (the engine/trans is from him). I thought it had been specd with the midshfit but spoke to Mike and he confirmed it was not. Is the swap doable in the car or should I wait for when I pull it back out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Williamson View Post
    ...The Forte set up includes a better shifter then the one that comes with the TKO...
    shifter.jpeg
    David W
    That really is a nice shifter. I didn't get that with my mid shifter from Mike. He must spoil you Coupe guys! ;-o)

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    yes but no... I bought the shift lever and knob from a speed shop, Mopac here in Edmonton and it was a few $$$ as all the nice parts are.
    Mike's kit includes a cover for the rear shift, an aluminum adaptor to bolt the shifter to the mid location and a shifter. The one I got is 5.0 shifter.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Williamson View Post
    yes but no... I bought the shift lever and knob from a speed shop, Mopac here in Edmonton and it was a few $$$ as all the nice parts are.
    Mike's kit includes a cover for the rear shift, an aluminum adaptor to bolt the shifter to the mid location and a shifter. The one I got is 5.0 shifter.
    David W
    Do you have a part number?

My situation is the same. I need to install the mid shifter kit. Had I known, I would of course have ordered the transmission with it already installed.
    Last edited by Sigurd; 03-16-2019 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Missing word

Post Thanks / Like
    call Mike at Forte to order the mid shift kit. the lever I used is a Lokar MSL615F it is 6 inches and if I did it again I would go with a 5 inch version.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 to what David said Sigurd.

Mike is great to work with. Just tell him you need a mid shift kit for whatever trans you have, and he will get you the kit. It is a very well made set-up, and the steps to make the change are straight forward and easy to do. Of course it would have been easier to have ordered with it already completed, but it really is not a big deal to do later. He probably can get you the shift lever that David mentions also.

Good luck!

Thanks for your response to my comments David.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    you will want the transmission out, you need to split the case to get the back shifter rod out, not a big deal, just a few bolts.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks David. I'll wait for when it comes back out.