BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: FIA interference with Breeze lower radiator mount

Post Thanks / Like

FIA interference with Breeze lower radiator mount

I probably should have posted this in the FIA section, but there's always more traffic here. I spoke with Mark at Breeze earlier, to ask about a problem installing the lower support for the radiator, and he let me know that he had been made aware of the issue by someone else building an FIA. The additional 3/4 tube that crosses low on the front of the frame, basically under the bottom of the radiator, interferes with the Breeze support. The lower petcock even hits that same 3/4 tube when you try to rotate the bottom of the radiator up on the piano hinge at the top. Has anyone building an FIA run into this, and if you did, how did you solve the issue of support for the bottom of the radiator? I installed the top per the recommendation of Mike Everson, except I removed the two small pieces of 3/4 tube that are welded under the upper 3/4 tube. Any ideas would be a big help right now. Thanks.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Rick, I made lower rad mounts. Two pcs of 1/8" x 1" that bolt to top of that lower cross brace, bent up so they are just under the radiator. I then bonded a piece of 3/4" square rubber so that supports the radiator between the flanges.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pete, Is there any possibility that you have a picture of what you did? Were you able to get the correct angle on the radiator, and were you able to clear that cross brace with the bottom petcock? Thanks.

4. Likes Vspeeds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pm sent.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the Breeze lower radiator mount on my 289 FIA and didn't have problems although I had to change somewhat the mounting location as I recall. I don't have the car here to show pictures but it does work. I did not use the Breeze upper mount/hinge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Joel, since you didn't use the Breeze top radiator mount, I'm guessing that you didn't have any interference with the 3/4 tube at the bottom, and the petcock probably cleared the tube as well because the radiator would be about a 1/2 to 3/4" higher. Do you remember that being the case? Thanks.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    EZ$
    Im not sure if you used the top radiator mount hinge. I used both the top hinge and the bottom mount from Breeze with no apparent issues. I did cut off the 2 small 3/4" square tubes on the top crossbar of the frame. The radiator angle is different on the 289 from the original roadster. To compensate I mounted the Breeze lower mount as close to the front as possible to allow the Breeze crossbar to lie in front of the frame. Also the Breeze lower mount holds the backside of the radiator and not the front. Hopefully these photos will help. I do not have the body right now (off to paint) so the proper placement is not depicted in the photos. However, by doing this I have to adjust the left and right radiator aluminum panels for a better fit. I can't get that done until the body is back on. In the last photo you could see the lower crossbar in front of the frame.

build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    Eddie, I did use the Breeze top mount, and I also cut off the two short 3/4 tube pieces. You mention that the radiator angle is different on the 289. Any idea what it is supposed to be? Yours is out forward way more than mine is. Is that to keep it above the oil cooler scoop opening? Also, in the 289 supplemental instructions, FFR has an additional 3/4 tube that gets bolted to the same tubes that the Breeze bottom support does. Will you not be using that piece? It's actually one of the items that is causing this headache. I considered using it as the lower radiator support, in addition to attaching the body. Thanks for the pictures. They help to put some clarity to the situation.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    That extra bottom crosstube is for body attachment. I dont think it has much structural need. My body will mainly rest on the 4 front bumper tubes using the ********** grommets. Once i get the body attached from Ken Pike i mightuse the crossbar if i could get it to fit. Yes the radiator is far forward to keep it above the oil cooler opening. Once the body is back on i could re-install the oil cooler and set the proper angle of th3 radiator.
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    Eddie, thanks for that. I had gone ahead and installed that cross tube back when I was trying to fit the body to the frame. I liked the idea that It would help pull the body up and the bolts would be hidden by the air scoops under the nose. Judging by your photos, the bottom edge of the radiator looks to be forward of the flat plates that the front quick jacks will bolt to. I won't be using an oil cooler, but I'm going to install a cooler for the power steering fluid, and plumb it in to look similar to an oil cooler. At this point you've got to be jonesing to get the body back, and get it finished! Hopefully it comes back quick.

Rick