FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carpeting

Post Thanks / Like

Carpeting

With the cockpit all sealed up with heat and sound material, I threw the carpet in to see how it looks. First the carpet seemed low quality and there is no trunk carpeting. Does the complete kit not come with trunk carpeting?
    Should I upgrade the cockpit carpeting? I am not looking forward to cutting new after market carpeting, but will if advised.
    I did some searching and like some of the chosen carpet and colors. Like the grey some have used in the trunk,,,, noticed non backed carpet was used. I guess this makes it conform better. I look forward to advise and tips on the carpet and installation. Thanks,
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

2. Thanks Vspeeds thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trunk carpet has never been included with the kit, It seems the carpet included with the kits now isn't as good of quality as in the old Mrk3 kits. If you want high quality carpet, cutting your own is the only way I know of. My opinion is something thats going to get rained on, the factory carpet is fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the provided carpet looks fine installed, but there are certainly higher quality options available. If you want to go that route, use the carpet pieces you have as templates for cutting your selected carpet. In my trunk, I went with a material that is similar to what you see in the trunks of newer cars. It was easy to install and conforms to the shapes in the trunk without looking bulky. It also let me keep easy access to the battery and fuel tank openings.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I am going through this for the third time,

First time around, was the FFR carpet. it was ok, but it is the bottom of the food chain for quality. At that time I did not use any sound deadening under the carpet.

Second time, I had a cut pile installed. Installation was professionally done, and the carpet was great, but it ended up showing it's age when the unbound edges started to wear. I think that the cut pile attracted a lot of dirt. It was hard to keep looking nice. I used the bubble insulation form Lowes as a sound deadener, and it was worthless.

Third time is in progress. Will have it installed professionally again, but this time it will be a square weave loop carpet. Very period correct, and all of the edges will be bound. I will be using a rubberized sound deadener this time.

In regards to the kit carpet, I don't think that FFR has ever supplied carpet for the trunk. Some have been able to find acceptable carpet form Lowes or Home Depot. At one time, someone posted the source of carpet that FFR uses. It is not very expensive. My preference is the bare aluminum vs carpet for the trunk.

Since you have the kit carpet, use that for templates if you choose a different carpet, and it won't be any different installing cheap carpet or an upgraded carpet.

Post Thanks / Like
    FFR has trunk carpet on the parts page but out of stock, maybe call them about it. http://www.factoryfiveparts.com/1667...-trunk-carpet/

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Get some carpet for a Bass Boat because it is much better quality.

https://www.boatcarpetbuys.com/colle...ss-boat-carpet

See the attached short thread below:

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...ight=bass+boat
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 03-16-2019 at 11:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never seen a trunk carpet kit from Factory Five. I also haven't noticed any difference in the carpet that Factory Five sells since my first Mk3 now 10 years ago. Not that I can tell anyway. The Gen 3 Coupe carpet received a little over a year ago looks the same to me. On one of my builds, I had read enough of the negative comments about the Factory Five carpet that I ordered some black Bentley Auto Carpet from Miami Corp. Everyone said it was the best. I though it was "OK" but decided not to use it. I've had enough to do two trunks with it. Actually kind of glad I didn't use it on the interiors to be honest. Everyone's taste is different of course, but I prefer the look of the Factory Five carpet over that. What I have noticed though is the Factory Five carpet will wear quickly in the floor of the footwells. That's where it gets the most hard use of course, and many times interiors that look worn that's exactly where it is. I've always used Factory Five floor mats. They're very nice quality, fit well, and don't seem to show any wear. Plus of course prevent the wear on the standard carpet.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies and advise. I do not have to have plush in the cockpit, but do want durability. I did receive floor mats with the car, but have concerns on the edges unraveling as mentioned. I think I can live with the F5 stuff, if edwardb can. I think I will carpet the trunk first and get some practice. Any advise on the glue and installation?
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    Thanks for the replies and advise. I do not have to have plush in the cockpit, but do want durability. I did receive floor mats with the car, but have concerns on the edges unraveling as mentioned. I think I can live with the F5 stuff, if edwardb can. I think I will carpet the trunk first and get some practice. Any advise on the glue and installation?
    I used 3M77 spray adhesive and it works well. If you want a bit more "hold", use 3M90. Others have used marine carpet glue, which may afford even more hold, but could also make it harder to remove and replace the carpet if/when you may someday need to.

Dave

Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

11. Likes Kmcallahan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used the FFR supplied carpet, and have been happy with it. It will wear in some areas that get rubbed regularly by your shoes.
    On both sides of the drivers footbox, next to the throttle pedal, and where the side of your left foot rests, when off the clutch. I added strips of thin black nylon like plastic, as rub strips. You can't see them, unless your down in there with a flashlight. This has stopped all wear that was starting to become apparent. Also added the FFR accessory mats, which are of good quality, and show no signs of wear at all.
    It's a good idea to spray the insulation with a flat black spray paint, along all the points the carpet seams will meet. This prevents any insulation from peaking through, if your seams are misaligned at all. I used black automotive silicone as an adhesive for the carpeting. Siicone allows you more time to slide the carpets into place, and get the seams lined up nicely. Black color prevents any you may get on the carpet, from being obvious..
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like
    I too have just completed the carpeting adventure. I found that the carpet that came with the kit was not what I wanted. I'm sure it works great but I really wanted a little thicker/dense material. Also, I was concerned there was no carpet for the trunk included and I wanted the trunk and cockpit to match. I sprayed Lizard Skin for heat control in the interior and trunk areas and then covered that with Dynamat for sound control. I ordered 4 yards of a black, German velour (backless) and that amount did the interior and the trunk areas. I covered the transmission tunnel in leather like so many others have done here. In the trunk, I made removable panels that cover the battery box and the plates that provide access to the sending unit and fuel pump. That required a little more material. The will be held in place with snaps, but I have yet to finish that part. In all, I was satisfied with how the carpet laid down and molded to the curves. I'm planning to make floor mats out the the same material. Joel

20190211_180532.jpg
    20190211_180612.jpg
    20190220_113639.jpg
    20190303_153700.jpg
    20190308_164053.jpg
    20190308_164117.jpg
    20190311_172938.jpg

14. Likes JWolfe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great tips and advise. I lined the cockpit with sound and thermal barrier, but have not done the trunk. I was thinking about putting the carpet on the aluminum without the barrier in the trunk. Any pros or cons on this approach? I do not think heat will be an issue. I have the cubby hole kit, which has a wall between the trunk area and the driver. I did line the cubby hole storage area and the trunk dividing wall.
    I really appreciate the tip on black paint in the seam area and other tips. Neat looking job japallon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a picture of my trunk with the material I used.

I didn't use any sound insulation under it, just bare aluminum.

17. Likes JWolfe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Papa, that looks good. I take it, you are happy with your choice, no known down sides? I like the close looking nap of the carpet you used.
    Can you elaborate on the brand and type of carpet you used. Very neat looking job.
    I re read your previous post on the auto trunk lining material. I will go by the local supplier and see what he has. I will still be glad to hear any other facts about the material.
    thanks,
    Last edited by Railroad; 03-17-2019 at 10:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    I used the FFR supplied carpet, and have been happy with it. It will wear in some areas that get rubbed regularly by your shoes.
    On both sides of the drivers footbox, next to the throttle pedal, and where the side of your left foot rests, when off the clutch. I added strips of thin black nylon like plastic, as rub strips. You can't see them, unless your down in there with a flashlight. This has stopped all wear that was starting to become apparent. Also added the FFR accessory mats, which are of good quality, and show no signs of wear at all.
    It's a good idea to spray the insulation with a flat black spray paint, along all the points the carpet seams will meet. This prevents any insulation from peaking through, if your seams are misaligned at all. I used black automotive silicone as an adhesive for the carpeting. Siicone allows you more time to slide the carpets into place, and get the seams lined up nicely. Black color prevents any you may get on the carpet, from being obvious..
    I'm currently doing the carpet after the body is on, and silicon makes it MUCH easier, especially in the damn footboxes!! I also added Dynamat, which is a real pain because it sticks right away, and adding it to the nearly inaccessible footboxes is difficult. I finally figured out that I needed to cut the Dynamat in smaller sections, and then I had some success. But I wouldn't want to cut the carpet like that. I thought about the spray glue and double-sided carpet tape, but you can't really move the carpet around. With silicon, it's a piece of cake!! Highly recommended!!

I also have the FFR floor mats, and as you may have read, people don't like the fact that they can move and the gas pedal can stick wide open!! I put my submarine belt from the harness through the mats, and I pop-riveted the mats to the floor. They were held down very well! Had to drill the pop-rivets out in order to put the Dynamat / carpet in. I'm going to pop-rivet them again. You can't see the pop rivets after there are installed.

20. Thanks Railroad thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Papa, that looks good. I take it, you are happy with your choice, no known down sides? I like the close looking nap of the carpet you used.
    Can you elaborate on the brand and type of carpet you used. Very neat looking job.
    I re read your previous post on the auto trunk lining material. I will go by the local supplier and see what he has. I will still be glad to hear any other facts about the material.
    thanks,
    I bought my carpet from here:

https://www.hifisoundconnection.com/...&q=trunk+liner

They have several varieties to choose from -- I went with their Stinger Black. They sell it in 5 yard pieces witch will do two to three trunks, so you get a few "oops" if you need it. So far, I can't find any issues with the material for the purpose I'm using it for.

Dave

22. Thanks Railroad thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the drop trunk box, do you think there is enough for the drop area with the 5 yd order?

I found a post that stated, trunk with drop and cubby hole took 40 sq ft.
    Last edited by Railroad; 03-17-2019 at 04:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the drop trunk box, do you think there is enough for the drop area with the 5 yd order?

I found a post that stated, trunk with drop and cubby hole took 40 sq ft.
    5 Yards is about 67-1/2 square feet. The fabric bolts are 54" wide and you get 15' x 54" for a 5 yard order.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to everyone that helped make me more comfortable about the carpeting. I ordered the trunk material Stinger Black, less chance a wide seam will show. Black paint in the corners and black or dark grey silicone to install. I plan on using the F5 interior carpet and will add a plate to the side of the foot box to prevent carpet wear. I have the F5 floor mats, so I am thinking everything is covered. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Railroad; 03-17-2019 at 05:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're looking for trunk carpet FFR responded to my email about when they will have it back in stock as the parts page shows out of stock, here is the reply.http://www.factoryfiveparts.com/1667...-trunk-carpet/

David Correia
    3:45 PM (9 minutes ago)
    to me

Afternoon,

The Roadster trunk carpet should be updated online soon but we will be cutting a bulk stock within the next week or two. If you would like to place an order please advise and I can write one up for you.

Thanks!

Dave Correia
    Tech Sales & Support
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    ...and will add a plate to the side of the foot box to prevent carpet wear.
    Plate works. Another option is to glue/sew a vinyl pad in the wear spots. I put one on the tunnel next to the accelerator pedal on all my builds. Works great and looks more OEM. Source: http://www.heelpadwarehouse.com/heel-pads/.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

28. Likes JWolfe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tip, edwardb. It looks good. I might try the heel pad and get it sewn on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another tip for consideration...before laying down heat, sound matting, and carpeting, throw a bright light in the cockpit and trunk area and then turn off the garage overhead lights. This will expose any gaps in the joints between the sheet metal panels and the frame. I used seam sealer, and silicone for the smaller gaps, and automotive caulk on the wider gaps to make things relatively watertight.

1D7933F3-E77F-4DB7-BD88-1B686AB47712.jpg

Here's the caulk in action at the ds trunk panel:
    F2696B68-DCBF-416F-B6E2-A6A9A1A9C9CA.jpeg

E5743AD7-CA46-42BC-8D11-D8A702B529EC.jpg
    Last edited by RJD; 03-19-2019 at 11:57 AM.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

31. Thanks Railroad thanked for this post
    Likes JWolfe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Joe...my parts list includes trunk carpet. Part #16672.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffhelms56 View Post
    Nice. Guessing that's pretty new. Haven't seen it before. Looks like it's the floor only, not the sides. Also for many that do an optional trunk box, still more work to do.

http://www.factoryfiveparts.com/1667...-trunk-carpet/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffhelms56 View Post
    Thanks for the information. Maybe it will help others in their planning. I ordered the stuff Papa used. Anxious to get it in hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have floor mats from **********. They ended up with a heel hole at <5000 miles. I did a pad from the same place as edwardb. Works great.

My opinion on insulation. You want thermal insulation. Sound insulation in an open car with an exhaust pipe next to your ear is wishful thinking. Some products do both, but concentrate on heat.

Definitely do the trunk mod. I retrofitted mine when I discovered that a helmet won't fit in the stock trunk.

I carpeted my trunk by ordering a couple yards of carpet from FFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Avalanche325, when you say do the trunk, do you mean insulate, carpet or drop trunk? I was contemplating putting carpet on the alum in the trunk, with no sound/heat barrier.

Post Thanks / Like
    I called them on the trunk carpet and had it in about a week. It was all precut for the rollbars and seatbelt attach points and fit great. Was the easiest piece to install and helped give it that finished look.
    Chuck Krueger
    MK4 Kit - Picked up 4/5/14, Complete Kit, 3-Link, Wilwood upgrade, Coyote, TKO 500, First Start 7/25/15
    2000 C5
    2003 C5 Z06
    2007 C5 Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    I attached my trunk carpet with Velcro strips.
    This way I can remove it easily, if I needed to access the fuel pump cover, or if it ever got wet, I could hang it up to dry.

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you mean by black automotive silicon as an adhesive. Can you supply the brand and model number of the material?

thanks,

Bryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bhanshaw View Post
    What do you mean by black automotive silicon as an adhesive. Can you supply the brand and model number of the material?

thanks,

Bryan
    Not the poster, but I used silicone also. Worked very well, Get a wall paper roller and roll the carpet after installed.
    I used GE black silicone in a regular caulking gun size tube. With the black silicone, you do not have to worry about siliver alum or sound/heat barriers showing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the trunk carpet from FFR when I got my kit. All they do is cut you a part of the roll off and give it to you. You’ll have to fit it yourself not that it’s a big deal. I found the carpet they provide is fine. Cars like the MGB used this type and they looked fine. Yes it isn’t a full loop style which you can order for good money but is it needed absolutely not. My suggestion is find a carpet binding shop and once you cut it to fit get it edge bound. It make the job look factory and it prevents the edges from coming appear. Just make sure to paint the panel seams black so you don’t see them between the carpet pieces. And add a heal guard as Edward said next to the gas pedal.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi folks!

I am almost ready for the carpet job! Reading all the comments here, I just wonder what is the way to do it.
    According to FFR build manual, they recommed using glue.
    In this thread, silicone, or adhesive basesd silicone type, are also beeing used.

Is the glue based siliocne easier to use, compared to FFR recommended glue?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hugo-k View Post
    Hi folks!

I am almost ready for the carpet job! Reading all the comments here, I just wonder what is the way to do it.
    According to FFR build manual, they recommed using glue.
    In this thread, silicone, or adhesive basesd silicone type, are also beeing used.

Is the glue based siliocne easier to use, compared to FFR recommended glue?
    Pretty much any adhesive you want to use is fine. There are all kinds of opinions about what is best based on whatever each person chose to use. I used 3M 77 spray adhesive and it worked just fine. Some use glue, others silicone. No matter what you use, if you ever need to pull a piece off, be prepared for the fibers to stay behind. I had to redo the door sill pieces as the ones that came in the kit didn't work well for me. When I pulled the pieces off, most of the fibers stayed behind. I ended up buying some heavy-duty carpet used to cover the supports on a boat trailer to redo the door sill pieces with. I also made some aluminum molding to address the corner where the raw edges come together.

44. Thanks hugo-k thanked for this post
    Likes hugo-k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got 5 years & 12,000 miles on the FFR carpet cleans up like new. Was easy to work with especially pushing in into inside corners & has held up very well. For an open car with no roof seems like a good choice to me. Gets hot in the South so I used 99 instead of 77 3M spray glue. Carpet is installed over Reflectix aluminum sandwiched bubble sheet attic insulation from Home Depot.

Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

46. Thanks hugo-k thanked for this post
    Likes hugo-k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’m a fan of the weld wood jell that you can find at Home Depot or Lowe’s. In my expierence it last longer and is much more precise to use as you apply it with a brush. It works like a contact cement where you coat the carpet and the panel that your applying it to. Wait 30-45 minutes till it feels dry and apply. Plus if it gets on the carpet put a little lacquer thinner on a rag and it wipes off with out hurting the carpet. Not to mention it’s less expensive then cans of 3m spray on adhesive.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

48. Thanks hugo-k thanked for this post
    Likes hugo-k, D Stand liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The extra trim piece looks nice. Great idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    japollon, that looks incredible! Great work.

Post Thanks / Like
    The FFR carpet came in and is fine but with all of the upgrades done to my car- why not do the same with the carpet? That's my thinking anyway. The FFR carpet I can use as a template (or install at a later date) Is there a template to purchase for the trunk as well? Also can anyone tell me how many yards to order for replacing the interior? I love the look of the leather tranny tunnel. Getting ready to install Koolmat from Breeze.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast