Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  10
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carpeting

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently completed a carpet replacement after 18 years with the original carpet. I learned this time that if you need to have any screws or holes in the carpet (e.g. mounting fire extinguisher, or for seat mounting...) to burn through the carpet rather than cut or simply use an cold awl. I'm not sure how well this works with FFR marine carpet. I purchased unbacked automobile carpet to get a better look and feel. The only downside is it's not wet weather friendly as marine grade stuff. Burn through with a soldering iron or heated awl for screws. If you need a slot (e.g. for harness straps) burn a hole at each end then cut with scissors between the burn holes, then seal what you cut with the heated awl. For larger holes I used a drift punch heated with a propane torch. This method keeps the carpet from gathering when tightening the screws. It also seals the edges so they won't fray near as badly.

2. Likes Kmcallahan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the trunk...........I actually prefer the look of the raw aluminum. Trying to figure out now how hard it would be to remove trunk carpet and all the glue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Acetone and it's all gone, but so are a few brain cells.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12