Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rostra cruise control settings

Post Thanks / Like

Rostra cruise control settings

I just got my cruise control installed, tested all the functions, and took her out for a spin. It was 35 degrees but couldn’t wait! Speed surged, and no matter what I did, I can’t get it to go away!
    Some have had good luck with these but I can’t seem to find the right combo of the DIP switches!
    Any insight would be great. It would come in handy on the trip to Texas in a couple weeks!
    BTW... 5.0 with a T5 behind it.
    Thanks!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I may be able to help you with this. But I am on the road and I will have to get back to the garage and let you know what my DIP switch settings are.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Give the company a call, they are very helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ll look this evening. I believe I wrote it down
    Moen

Post Thanks / Like
    Called Rostra... got a wee bit of help. Must have been the “new guy”. Seems I knew more than he did! Thanks for the help everyone... I’ll just keep plugging away at it. I leave two weeks from tomorrow.
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    on 1,4,5,6
    off 2,3,7-12
    unfortunately I don't know what this means any more. its just my final setting
    moen

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! I’ll give it a whirl and see how it goes!

Post Thanks / Like
    Moen, what did you use for your VSS signal?

Post Thanks / Like
    This is what I'm using, for cruise and mechanical speedometer gauge. I know they make them with only the sensor, which you may already have for your speedometer now. I'm not yet on the road so no more info. As already noted I think the number to work with is 8000.

Speed Sensor
    https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9731B/83-93...g-Speed-Sensor

George

Post Thanks / Like
    George, that’s exactly what I’m using for my system. Set at 8000 and the configuration that Rostra recommends. Surges big time. I guess I’ll just tinker with it, and continue my research. Thanks all!

Post Thanks / Like
    set up was 331 both fitech and then carb
    electric speedo pulling signal off tremec.
    vss with if I remember correctly sine wave.
    the rostra unit was electric. no vacuum.
    Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, I'm reading this with interest because I am planning on installing one in my car. In fact, I have already ordered it. I have not even seen the kit yet, much less installed. However, on the site that I ordered it from, there is this statement:

"This drive by wire cruise control kit requires the installer to epoxy two magnets to the vehicle’s drive shaft to produce a speed signal output for the cruise control. This is the most efficient and most accurate way to get speed signal from any vehicle. It is a better signal than an onboard speed signal or extracting VSS from data."

https://www.thecruisecontrolstore.co...-classic-cars/

Even though I could use a VSS, I'm going to use the magnets as they suggest. I did that many years ago on a '70 Torino Cobra, and it worked just fine. But that was a lot of years ago.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    The only difficulty I had was hooking up the cable and changing the settings. I brought on both myself. The cable needs to be attached in line to the throttle linkage. I had a turkey pan which made this difficult. No turkey pan and it’s quite easy. When the instructions say mount it in accessible area do so. I had it mounted out of site on the underside of the inside passenger foot box. Kept the engine bay clean. However the changes to those tiny switches had me laying inside the fb looking up. Hard as hell.
    If you have the electric sender in the trans hook if up. I read the magnet recommendation but since vss performed flawlessly I kept it simple.
    With regards to cruise control it works great. I used it on the cannonball run and it saved our legs. Funny thing was that my co driver did not realize it had a resume function until AZ, 2400 miles into the trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the magnets and works very good. But had to call for info because it did not come with right info. am using GPS speedo

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out this instruction manual.
    It shows the switch settings (pg. 12) and diagnostic procedures (pg. 20). It says if it surges, a lower gain setting is needed (dip switches 1 and 2). Check your switch #10 setting which controls the sine/square wave input. The magnets are sine (on) all other inputs are square (off).
    Last edited by 2bking; 03-20-2019 at 12:07 PM.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build