BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Alignment Tolerance Question

Post Thanks / Like

Alignment Tolerance Question

When aligning the front end, what is the acceptable tolerance for camber? For caster?

I'm using the Longacre digital C/C gauge, which measures to the tenth of a degree. Admittedly I haven't tried, but I'm pretty sure that exactly matching the angles on each side is going to be close to impossible. If I get camber set to -0.5* on one side is -0.4* (or -0.6*) on the other side OK? Likewise, if I get 6.5* caster on one side, is 6.7* on the other side OK? Or is it reasonable to fiddle the sides into exact agreement?

This is for a street machine with power steering.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    John,
    I've seen variation similar to your examples from my previous alignments. I doubt that I've noticed or could.
    Perfect only exists in textbooks and dreams.
    Jim

3. Thanks phileas_fogg thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post

If I get camber set to -0.5* on one side is -0.4* (or -0.6*) on the other side OK? Likewise, if I get 6.5* caster on one side, is 6.7* on the other side OK? Or is it reasonable to fiddle the sides into exact agreement?

This is for a street machine with power steering.

As a long time bubble (not digital) gauge user - I could not possibly hope to tell the difference between tenths of a degree.

But I have a great deal more confidence in "eyeballing" a bubble type gauge than I would have in a digital gauge trying to tell me tenths of a degree.

So I'd call plus or minus a tenth of a degree "all good", in the absence of strange tire wear patterns.

5. Thanks phileas_fogg thanked for this post