Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: GoPro recommendations and mounting

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

GoPro recommendations and mounting

We're planning a big club cruise to Colorado later this year and I was thinking of buying a GoPro or similar camera, for the trip. Been thinking about purchasing one for a couple years and want to pull the trigger this summer, so I can tune it in before the trip.
    Looking for camera and mounting suggestions.
    I saw that they offer a Hero7 Black now (with a $100 discount if you turn in an old digital camera (?). This looks like the top-of-the-line, I'm just trying to figure out if this is what I NEED.

Some things I think I desire:
    +10megapixal
    good video (doesn't have to be 4K) and stabilization
    external/remote mic (concerned about wind noise)
    battery and plug-in to USB/cigarette lighter
    good mount
    zoom
    remote

I spent a couple hours researching last night and got a lot of info and a little confused.
    I see they also sell a Hero7 White & Silver. And you can still get the Hero6 and 5 on Amazon.

Also found this one that came highly rated and less than 1/3 the cost.
    AKASO Brave 4 4K 20MP WiFi Action

Also want suggestions for mounting it. I have dual roll-bars, but was concerned about getting the windshield in the pics. I could fabricate a simple bracket to connect to the top of the windshield frame (little concerned about vibration). A fellow club member mounted his in the radiator opening and it took GREAT video, but it's really hard to adjust on the fly.

I'm open to other cameras too, just know this is kind of the most popular.
    Also, any accessories that are must-have?
    Last edited by MPTech; 03-17-2019 at 12:36 PM.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a GoPro Hero 5 Session and it works very well. Not a lot of bells and whistles and you can't use it and charge it at the same time (well you could, with the door open - I wouldn't use it that way). I can offer more info on mounting as I've done some trial and error to get what I feel really works.

Get a jaw clamp:

https://www.amazon.com/ECYC-Portable...ronics&sr=1-30

Stay away from the ones with the flexible plastic section - they're garbage!

Get one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The jaws fit the 1.5" roll bars really well. and can be used to clamp to just about anything, including the windshield frame. The entire clamping surface is rubber, so no worries about scratching anything.

Here is a sample video with the camera clamped to the trunk opening before installing the hood, doors, trunk, and with no weather stripping under the body.

Dave
    Last edited by Papa; 03-17-2019 at 02:24 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    GoPro Fusion has some value. Just got a suction cup mount for the top of the window. What's good about this camera is you edit inside the video after the fact. Editing takes forever though. https://youtu.be/DUPtHN_vhac
    20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster, #8752, 18 of 20, Delivered 12/03/15, 1st Start 01/28/2017, off to paint 4/13/2017, Forte 351w/ Holley EFI, Forte throttle linkage, TKO 600/Forte Hyd. Clutch, UniSteer Electra Steering, RT's turn Signals, many Breeze parts, Paint by the Jeff Miller. Finished on 10/08/2017. 500 mile inspection on 10/21/2017, 3000 mile inspection on 1/14/19.

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing to analyze, putting the camera on the front down low will change the video angle alot. I think i would set up several mount locations and vary the use of them so you do not constantly have the same video from the same angle. I want to try filming from the side rear so you can see the headers and front doing some curvy road!

Accessories: extra battery, a strap or tape? If you mount it outside the car. Extra memory to switch out, so you can keep filming. I am assuming any mount you get has the plastic case that the camera goes in!
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a remote mic to cut down on the wind noise. Can't say how well it works yet because I'm not on the road yet.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    I have a GoPro Hero 5 Session and it works very well. Not a lot of bells and whistles and you can't use it and charge it at the same time (well you could, with the door open - I wouldn't use it that way). I can offer more info on mounting as I've done some trial and error to get what I feel really works.

Get a jaw clamp:

Get one of these:

The jaws fit the 1.5" roll bars really well. and can be used to clamp to just about anything, including the windshield frame. The entire clamping surface is rubber, so no worries about scratching anything.

Here is a sample video with the camera clamped to the trunk opening before installing the hood, doors, trunk, and with no weather stripping under the body.

Dave
    To be honest I couldn't keep my eyes off the views, area looks real nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got one of those. Works pretty well, comes with many clips and attachments. One clip works well on roll bar.
    Make sure you get one that has a remote mic option, you will be very happy. Otherwise you will hear a lot of wind noise.

I got the cheaper one, great video quality, letting kids to record in pool and their RC cars. Don't have to worry about damaging an expensive camera.

The placement is trial and error. I tested couple location and drove around.
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is my advice.

I have a GoPro that I regularly use for autocross. I have a RAM suction cup mount. Awesome mount. I also have an Eye-of-Mine roll bar mount. Another awesome mount. Unfortunately, I don't think they make them any longer. I have never seen a roll bar mount as good.

I took my GoPro on a Deep South Cobra Club cruise. I will never do it again. I spent way too much time mounting the camera, thinking about getting good shots, etc. That all lead to a lot a really boring footage. After about 30 seconds, it is just a line of cars going down the road. Maybe you will be a better cinematographer then me. But, I recommend just snapping some shots with your phone and enjoying the ride and the people.

Post Thanks / Like

Yi 4k or Hero 7 Black

I recently bought a Yi 4K on Amazon, and I can't recommend it enough.
    Cheaper than GoPro with all the features that count. You may need to buy a waterproof case and drill out a hole in order to mount with an external mic though.

As for image stabilization, if you do not want to mess around with post editing, the latest GoPro Black is the only way to go though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post

Get a jaw clamp:

Get one of these:

Dave
    No shoulder harness??!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the RAM mount system using the 1 inch ball. It is a very versatile system with parts that are interchangable. It has suction cups, jaw clamps, bar mounts, etc. and different size arms and different accessories.
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by swwebb View Post
    No shoulder harness??!!
    I know; not recommended.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My only recommendation is get one with a replaceable battery. I got a GoPro Hero4 a few years ago for Christmas. Other than an initial test on Christmas day I did not get around to using it. When I finally resolved to re-familiarize myself with it it would take forever to charge and then would only stay on for a few minutes. Guess what - non replaceable battery. There are some youtube videos of people cutting/prying them open to replace the battery. I still have not thrown it out but I should because it's trash.
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Post Thanks / Like

not trash

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reynolds View Post
    My only recommendation is get one with a replaceable battery. I got a GoPro Hero4 a few years ago for Christmas. Other than an initial test on Christmas day I did not get around to using it. When I finally resolved to re-familiarize myself with it it would take forever to charge and then would only stay on for a few minutes. Guess what - non replaceable battery. There are some youtube videos of people cutting/prying them open to replace the battery. I still have not thrown it out but I should because it's trash.
    You can connect a power bank to it to charge it while filming, less than ideal but it does work.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been using GoPro's for years without issues. Roll bar mounts as well as the "non-removable" (easily) 3M mounts. I currently use Hero2+, 3 and 4 models. I drill a hole in the side of the case for a remote microphone and put it behind the seat. Picks up sound very well. Also use the remote control (you can use the cell phone app) to control the ON/OFF of recording. All the cameras are sync'd so they all start/stop the same. I use rechargeable batteries so I always have a spare or two to get by. If you use just one camera, you can drill the enclosure and use a USB to power it, or, multiple cameras, use a USB hub (just more wires to deal with). Main reason I have extra batteries. I can use the camera for at least 30-45min of consecutive use. That's a lot of run time but I'm on track too. Traveling and using a remote can capture what you want, when you want. Just be aware that running the camera for hours in remote/off mode will deplete the battery a bit. You can find some good buys on eBay for Hero 4's.
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the remote that you strap on your wrist. That is a great accessory for a mounted camera.
    Remote mic is a must. My car overwhelms the in-camera mic. Fuzzy wind socks help. I clip mine onto my battery cutoff key when autocrossing.