Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel Tank Mounting Advice

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Tank Mounting Advice

Hi all, I just recently mounted my fuel tank and had a couple quick questions:

1. I like that FFR includes those two plastic endcaps to protect the tank from the front strap mounts, but it seems like the rest of tank where it contacts the frame should have some sort of protection. I just imagine all sorts of grit and grime working itself into the crack and slowly grinding away the tank lip. I also imagine it being a great place for creaks and squeaks to develop. Has anyone else put protection between the tank and the frame? If so, what did you use? I was thinking of some stick on foam from Home Depot.
    2. I can't for the life of me figure out how to mount the fuel filler neck retainer like they show in the manual. If I'm understanding the instructions correctly, you're supposed to flatten all the humps in the flange around the tank so that the whole thing mounts flush against the frame. But if you do that, then there is no room to attach a fastener between the tank and the frame. I'm considering just drilling through the frame and using a longer screw to tie all three together, but I thought I'd ask first. Also, strangely my retainer looks like it's built the opposite of what they show in the manual (mounts to the right of the filler, not the left). I assume it probably doesn't matter which side it gets fastened on?

IMG-1266 (1).JPG

Thanks in advance for the help!
    Last edited by Alphamacaroon; 04-22-2019 at 02:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You have to drop the tank and put the filler retainer on first. On my tank there was a hole already drilled for a screw to hold the retainer. Make sure the hole is outside the pinch weld on the tank or it will leak. I put a thin rubber weather strip between the tank and frame, not sure it is required but that is what I did.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks David,

Yeah my hole is drilled outside the pinch weld, but I think the problem I'm having is how do you actually attach the bolt to hold it? The instructions show the nut and bolt attached directly to the tank lip, but if you do that then the bolt head digs into the frame and doesn't allow the tank to sit flush against it. But I think possibly if I mount some weatherstripping between the frame and the tank, that would give me enough clearance between the flange and the tank for the bolt head.