I've recently purchased a partially completed 818S which is in a roller state. The donor was a 2006 WRX Turbo with 74K. Currently the car has motor and transmission installed, brake and clutch plumbed, all suspension hung, and most aluminum riveted in place. I was really looking for a GTM or Superlight Coupe, but came across the 818 and decided it was a better project for me to take on as a first kit car than the more complicated supercar builds.

I'll be picking up the car this weekend, and I have spent the last 2 weeks reading every build thread on the forum for an 818S or 818C (I skipped the R threads since I have no desire to track the car). Full disclosure I started on the last page of build threads and I'm working my way forwards. I just finished page 3 which included a few long threads (InsuranceGuy and Hindsight) and I'm starting on page 2 today. Several long threads on that page as well, I hope to finish them before I pickup the car this weekend. There are a lot of threads that don't go anywhere, this won't be one of them. My last project build thread was over 85 pages long. This one won't be that long, but I'm not in a hurry for this project. 2 years would be okay with the amount of customization I intend to do.

While this is my first kit car, this is not my first project car. I've completely restored a 65 mustang which I joke that the only stock part left is the roof panel. It has a completely custom interior, a fiberglass nose, and a custom paint job. I did all the body work myself, and I have basically repainted in my garage the whole car due to issues with the paint job I had sprayed by a professional shop (Not sure why some computers show the pictures upside down). I got pretty good at fiberglass work as part of this project.

IMG_8060.JPG

IMG_8057.JPG

IMG_8068.JPG

The goal of the car for me is going to be a really nice street car. It will have a full interior with HVAC, Audio, sound deadener, etc. Although I will be keeping the car a roadster, I will be putting the coupe side windows in and having a custom top made that will work with the side windows and be water tight. I may even fabricate a custom fiberglass hardtop that is truly removable. The FFR offering is not removable, it is convertible, and it's not a quick process. Additionally I don't like the look of the FFR hardtop.

Here are some bullet items on my plans, it probably doesn't include everything.

- Power Brakes. I drive a car now with Manual brakes, but I've seen plenty of threads complaining about how much pedal pressure is required for braking. I'd rather deal with this before I get the body on.

- ABS. I hope to do this, but if the PO has already thrown away the ABS module and removed the wheel speed sensors, I might not go through the trouble of adding them back and buying the ABS module.

- HVAC. Not optional, Houston is hot and sunny and I want cold air blowing on me.

- Custom Hood Scoop

- Custom Quarter Scoops

- Custom tail lights

- Custom rear bumper vents

- Custom front bumper

- panel stiffening additions

- FFR Carbon Splitter

- FFR Carbon Diffuser

- FFR Carbon Rocker Extensions

- Street Seats

- WRX Center Console

- Electric Parking Brake Caliper

- InfinityBox wiring system (Already have this, got a great deal on it from a GT-R builder who didn't want it) with the A/C Control module for Vintage Air.

- Cruise Control

- Trunk Package

Here are some things I've got questions about.

- AWIC. I don't have radical plans for power, but would like to hit 275 - 300 hp for my ideal power to weight ratio. Also it will only be street use, so no extended hard driving. If I install this I will have to find a place to put the exchanger. With HVAC I will already have two exchangers up front and AWIC would make for a third, unless I put it in the enlarged quarter panel vents.

- Oil cooler. Do I need this on a street only car?

- What data can I get out of the stock ECU? I'd like to use dash command for gauges instead of the stock cluster. Google has come up empty on this research. I assume I can get RPM, Speed, Coolant Temp, IAT, Boost, Oil Pressure, Oil Temperature. I know I will need to come up with standalone indication for blinkers, E-brake, Brights, and fuel level.

- Hydramat. Will this be sufficient for a street driven car, or do I need to contemplate custom baffling. My biggest concern in Houston is front to back, not side to side. There are lots of pretty steep ramps here for the interstate interchanges.

Thanks for helping me with my questions, and here are some pretty bad sketches of my vision.

IMG_0243.PNG

IMG_0257.PNG