BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tremec T56 Magnum Too Tall in Gen 3 Coupe Tunnel?

Post Thanks / Like

Tremec T56 Magnum Too Tall in Gen 3 Coupe Tunnel?

I'm installing a Tremec T56 Magnum into my Type 65R. It seems to be a touch tall in the tunnel (it's too close to the Type 65R cross brace to install the shifter plate). Before I cut out the cross brace I wanted to check the brain trust to see if anyone else has faced the T56 height issue in a Gen 3 Coupe chassis.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like
    EdwardB has installed his Coyote + T56 Magnum into his Gen3 Coupe chassis, but it is NOT a Coupe-R chassis. Looking at the CAD photo of the Coupe chassis with the additional “R” upgrade tubes highlighted, there are no changes in the trans tunnel at all, so they should be exactly the same in this area.

What engine are you using? What arrangement of shims/spacers at the engine mounts? Any small inclination or angle here could affect the trans by a much larger amount. There’s also some discussion about the supplied FFR trans mount plate needing to be drilled/moved/adjusted slightly depending on drivetrain configuration.
    Logan's Gen 3 Coupe-R Build
    Ordered 4/23/19 | Delivered 6/29/19 | First Start 8/1/20 | First Drive 9/20/20

Post Thanks / Like
    As Logan said, I installed a T56 with a Coyote in my Gen 3 Coupe build. Fits great but a couple points. (1) I put the transmission mounting plate on the bottom of the frame tabs. Partly to provide better clearance for the shifter, but also provides a better pinion angle for my IRS setup. (2) It's not possible to remove or install the shifter with the transmission fully mounted. Too close to the frame. But easy enough. With the mounting plate removed, it swings down the inch or two needed to get the shifter in or out. It's further along now, but looked like this right after installation. My full build thread is linked in my sig line.

Last edited by edwardb; 03-20-2019 at 06:03 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the quick replies! I was trolling your build page just now and noticed the mounting plate below the chassis. Looks like that is our best option. With it on top as shown in the factory five instructions there's just not enough clearance. I'll swap the plate to the bottom and should be fine.

Thanks again for the response!