Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Flaring tool

Post Thanks / Like

Flaring tool

I need to install the wiper kit and realized I need a flaring tool. I have read the other reviews and I see everyone loves the Eastwood tool for $180. Has anyone used a less expensive flaring tool that they like?

thanks
    Craig

Post Thanks / Like
    If you don't need it to run actual brake lines then the quality does not matter nearly as much. As long as there are no burrs etc that interfere w the cable then a poor flare is fine. Just use the autoparts store loaner tool for free.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frd2 View Post
    If you don't need it to run actual brake lines then the quality does not matter nearly as much. As long as there are no burrs etc that interfere w the cable then a poor flare is fine. Just use the autoparts store loaner tool for free.
    Agree.

The Eastwood tool is great but not needed for your intended use since you do not need a tight seal.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're wanting to flare the chrome tubes that come with the wiper kit, good luck. Several people, including myself, have tried with no success. The tubes are hard.... Not sure anyone has had success. If anyone has, please let the rest of us know what type of flare tool you used.
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 03-20-2019 at 11:01 AM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Ducky2009, does that mean I do not need need to flare them? Its just cosmetic?

Post Thanks / Like
    do some searching - I think lots have used other materials. NiCop line, regular steel brake line, rigid plastic, some use short section of steel w a flare, then join with firm rubber in between (easy to route, etc) then back to steel w flare at the wheelhouse.

Post Thanks / Like
    The tubes have to be flared to anchor them to the wheel boxes and drive unit. Mine split when I tried to flare them. I don’t know if the supplied tubes have changed from 2012 when I got my kit but, they are too large of diameter to fit properly into the wheel boxes and allow the cable to flex around inside causing erratic wiper movement.

If they are still the same I would recommend you take the cable ( or cut a small piece off the end ) with you to your favourite auto supply store that sells bulk brake lines and find a tube size that the cable just slides smooothly into.

I have heard that the wiper kit has been improved. Hopefully this is no longer a problem. I spent a lot of time reshaping the wheel box attach points to get the cable to firmly engage the wheel and prevent skipping. They can now run on a dry windshield and not skip. Before anyone calls me out on that, I didn’t do it on purpose. My daughter wanted to listen to the stereo while I went into the gas station to pay and turned on the wipers instead of the aux power. When I came out the stereo was on and the wipers were happily sweeping the dry windshield. All switches are getting labeled bezels now.

HTH
    Norm

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cfriedman67 View Post
    Hi Ducky2009, does that mean I do not need need to flare them? Its just cosmetic?
    Yes they need flared. As others have said, use a different tube. I used steel brake lines.

ALSO: The wire connectors are two different sizes (width). The narrow ones plug into the wiper motor and the wide width ones plug into the switch. The wide ones don't work well in the motor.... ask me how I know.

A plug (not supplied) is available from Finish Line. $15 https://www.**********accessories.co...ical-plug.aspx
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 03-20-2019 at 11:31 AM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks all. I got it from here.