Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Options for e-Brake Relocation

Post Thanks / Like

Post Options for e-Brake Relocation

Hi all:

I've been searching for good options for e-Brake relocation to the top of the tunnel on a roadster and while I found some creative ideas, I'm not finding anything super recent. Here's one thread I found with an option from 2011 and there are others from as far back as 2007 - https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...ke-handle.html

Anyone more recently use this or have a better option? Anyone selling kits to accomplish this? I saw a note that made it sounds like Forte used to sell a kit but the link is now broken and nothing shows up on the website for it.

Appreciate everyone's advice!
    Dan

p.s. Just did the build school 2 weeks ago and organizing my build on paper (as much as possible) before ordering this fall! My wife is thrilled that the garage is at least totally cleaned and organized already....haha. I'm located just west of Milwaukee, WI.

Post Thanks / Like
    How about a Miata Parking Brake? I pull my eBrake every time I park, so I also wanted easy access to the handle.
    I drove my car in gelcoat all 2018, and the brake worked perfectly.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Parking-Brake
    2016 MK4 | '99 Explorer 5.0 | E303&600cfm carb | T5z + 3.55 | 3-link | SN95 | PB/PS | FR500 17" 315&275 |

Post Thanks / Like
    I've done this on my own car as well as a a couplle of others that I've built and really like the location.

Simple bolt in fabrication for either a Mustang or FFR handle.

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I did this with mine. Its a Lokar assembly. The shifter is in the stock location for a TKO600 with a 351-based engine. The Lokar needs no mechanical advantage linkage or assist with the Wilwood brakes.

Last edited by Boydster; 03-20-2019 at 06:42 PM.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

5. Likes Houdini liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We went a bit different and fabricated a pull style parking brake under the dash. I know some older trucks and cars had these, not sure if you can grab one from the junkyard or try building your own?

Jonas

Check out our build blog - https://vjjfactoryfive.wordpress.com/
    FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I've done this on my own car as well as a a couplle of others that I've built and really like the location.

Simple bolt in fabrication for either a Mustang or FFR handle.

Jeff
    Hi Jeff, Thanks, I'd like to hear more on this one. Any chance you have any more pics of this during the build process? Sounds like some guys mention a difference also depending on whether you choose the stock brakes or Wilwood. Does it matter for your version? You literally just bolt in the handle in the new location and route the cables left of the shifter instead of right? (At this point, I'm leaning towards NOT upgrading the brakes....btw) . Also, I think your name might have come up in conversation as I guy to talk to about paint....is that right? Appreciate the help! Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    I did this with mine. Its a Lokar assembly. The shifter is in the stock location for a TKO600 with a 351-based engine. The Lokar needs no mechanical advantage linkage or assist with the Wilwood brakes.
    Also love this location but you say it only works with Wilwood brakes without a mechanical advantage. Any success from anyone going that route that doesn't require a ton of fabrication? At this point, I'm not set on upgrading the brakes. I'd rather leave the top front of the tunnel open for "coffee holders". :-)

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used this deal from Nortracecars.
    http://www.northracecars.com

fullsizeoutput_3f.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dpgueldn View Post
    Hi Jeff, Thanks, I'd like to hear more on this one. Any chance you have any more pics of this during the build process? Sounds like some guys mention a difference also depending on whether you choose the stock brakes or Wilwood. Does it matter for your version? You literally just bolt in the handle in the new location and route the cables left of the shifter instead of right? (At this point, I'm leaning towards NOT upgrading the brakes....btw) . Also, I think your name might have come up in conversation as I guy to talk to about paint....is that right? Appreciate the help! Dan
    I used the same mod. Its on the other forum, here's the link to the original mod. Thanks dv/dt.
    https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...pdate-2-a.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Also love this location but you say it only works with Wilwood brakes without a mechanical advantage. Any success from anyone going that route that doesn't require a ton of fabrication? At this point, I'm not set on upgrading the brakes. I'd rather leave the top front of the tunnel open for "coffee holders". :-)
    I do not know if it needs a "more leverage" modification with brakes other than Wilwoods (I didn't say 'only'). But I have heard of some levers that work better with a mod. I dont know what brakes they were using nor what levers. I only know for a fact that this combo works, hence why I spelled out the details.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Rich made it easy for me by linking Rod's original post. I don't cut the side of the tunnel aluminum out nor close in the back side (really, dirt is not a concern...and besides these handle assemblies are exposed to the elements in their OEM application). Yeah, send me a PM if you'd like to talk about body & paint.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I went totally the other way, got it off the tunnel . . .

"Fiero Mod" mounts the handle to the left of the driver.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.