Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Elbow Room

Post Thanks / Like

Elbow Room

I'm looking for ideas for more elbow room. I previously owned a MK II with a mild 302 and hand over hand steering was not possible because my left arm was way over the door.

I'm not terribly big, but, I am 6'0" and 230 LBS with wide shoulders. I love to drive the heck out of something, not just in a straight line. To be able to hand over hand steer a roadster, I estimate I need 5 to 6" more room.

I'd definitely consider buying a body without the door panels cut out and stepping over the side, if I could shave enough off of the doors.
    I'd consider using an ecoboost 3.5 v-6 if I could shrink the trans tunnel and move the seat over.

I'd really consider anything, if I could drive the car to it's potential, and have fun with it.

Does anyone have ideas?

Thanks in advance for your time!
    Jon

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a thought.

Why not get a power steering rack with a tighter ratio. No hand over hand needed.
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    5-6 inches is a lot. More than the thickness of the door. Not sure how that's possible. I personally haven't done it, but I've seen pictures where guys have cut the door back along the top, e.g. so they roll over less into the cockpit. I'm guessing 1-2 inches. Maybe someone will post a picture. Maybe a smaller steering wheel? But that raises other questions.

I'll be honest though, even with the pretty mild three turn rack in mine I've never felt like hand-over-hand was necessary. Not even close. It turns very quickly without taking my hands off the wheel. Guys who autocross or simply want it to turn more quickly use a quicker rack.

I don't see how a V-6 will help much either. Bell housing and transmission are what's taking up the room next to you. Not the engine. Aside from the very thought of putting a V-6 in there...

The Roadster is a relatively small car no matter how you look at it.
    Last edited by edwardb; 03-20-2019 at 09:35 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am building the truck and it has much more room than the roadster. The new Gen 2 hot rod might be even bigger yet.

They have inboard front suspension and handle great!

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Hallmark View Post

To be able to hand over hand steer a roadster, I estimate I need 5 to 6" more room.

I'd really consider anything, if I could drive the car to it's potential, and have fun with it.

Does anyone have ideas?
    Jon,

Best you can do in a properly scaled car is:

Power steering (one form or another), quick rack (and or, steering quickener, properly applied - easier said than done), and a smaller steering wheel.

There is no getting 5"-6" more inches out of these small roadsters (without going to a wider basis).

But when you get down to around 2 turns lock to lock (or below) you'll find you don't have to hand over hand any more...

JMHO,

Mike
    Last edited by mike223; 03-20-2019 at 09:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wallace, I love the door mod. That looks like you may have gained 1 1/2 to 2".

Mike, I had not thought of the smaller wheel, power steering, that is a great idea.

I should have been more clear about my goal. I'd like to be able to get my left elbow inside the car so I can steer quicker. With my elbow over the top of the door, it severely limits my ability to steer with my left arm. So I am steering and shifting with my right, which can be a little scary going sideways at speed.

I will attempt to upload a pic of me in my previous car so maybe someone will see something I could have done better. Maybe seats? I know my arm is inside in the photo, but, it is trapped against the door.

Thanks again for all of the help.

I'd like to build another roadster, but, I may have to follow the other advice given and build a truck. Decisions....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jon Hallmark; 03-21-2019 at 03:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jon,
    Those seats that you had must have restricted your movement some. FFR's "big and tall" roadster seats would give you more movement. Power steering would help you too.

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Olli View Post

Those seats that you had must have restricted your movement some.
    I agree - I think a Kirkey 55 series pro drag seat would allow the back of the seat to be closer to the transmission tunnel - of course this also gets your whole body turned toward the left front tire a little.

Additionally I've got mine installed about 3/4" higher on the outside edge (door side) - tilting the seat backs toward the center of the car slightly.

I feel kind of captured by the door too, and I'm considerably smaller - 5'8" 170.

But I'm pretty happy with electric power steering + a 1.5:1 steering quickener.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CDXXVII View Post
    Just a thought.

Why not get a power steering rack with a tighter ratio. No hand over hand needed.
    EXACTLY! No hand over hand with a 2.25/2.5 turn rack:

Cheers,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I trimmed back my door overhang on the driver side and am very glad I did. Blended the curve into the stock dash meetup point and blended the cut from 1.5" to zero along the rear body radius. I'm just a regular 5'10 160lb person and needrd the room.
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.