Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Nardi steering wheel

Post Thanks / Like

Nardi steering wheel

I currently have the FFR leather steering wheel that I ordered with my complete kit, but I'm now second-guessing my choice of steering wheel. I love the look of wood steering wheels, but I don't love the feel of thin wood steering wheels when driving. Lately, I've been doing a bit of searching on wood steering wheel options. I was poking around the Nardi website this morning and came across a few wheels that look interesting.

This is their "ND Classic" in a 330mm (~13 inch) diameter) they also make it in 340mm, 360mm, and 390mm. However, this one looks interesting to me for a couple of reasons... first it has a nice thick wood rim, and second I think a 13" diameter with power steering might help the whole cockpit feel a little less cramped and still drive pretty easily. So, has anyone tried a Nardi wheel? Any idea what it would take to get one to bolt up to the FFR bolt pattern? What are everyone's thoughts on the thicker rim, and the 13" diameter?

5061.33.3000.jpg
    Last edited by JohnK; 03-21-2019 at 10:29 AM.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    John,

Nice looking wheel. I'm planning on a 13" wheel for reasons similar to yours. I used a 13" with manual steering for many miles on a previous car, it was only tuff in parking lots. Should be easy w/ power.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice wheel. I also do not like the thin wooden wheel. It may be a challenge to redrill the Nardi wheel for the FFR adapter as the Nardi wheel will already have five (or six) holes in it that may not match up with the FFR adapter.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I would redrill and the adapter, not the Nardi steering wheel. Making an adapter is also an option if getting the wheel closer is OK. I got both wheels from FF. Leather for go, wood for show.

Post Thanks / Like
    I sent them a request for a quote for the steering wheel and asked if it's possible to order it without any mounting holes drilled so I can have the proper bolt pattern drilled. We'll see what they come back with.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sigurd - yes, you're right that it would also be possible to re-drill the hub. I'm wondering whether it might also be possible to purchase another hub from FFR undrilled and drill it to match the bolt pattern of the Nardi wheel. The only complication is that I've already had my hub machined and Russ Thompson's turn signal system added to it. Hey, it's only money right?!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post

I think I would redrill and the adapter, not the Nardi steering wheel. Making an adapter is also an option if getting the wheel closer is OK. I got both wheels from FF. Leather for go, wood for show.

Make them all quick + easy like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Longacre-Ra...gAAOSwBBRcZCQM

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike223 View Post
    Make them all quick + easy like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Longacre-Ra...gAAOSwBBRcZCQM
    Do you happen to know if this would work with Russ Thompson's turn signal system? The Nardi wheel also has a horn button. In a perfect world, I'd add the quick disconnect and still keep the horn button functionality! That would be pretty cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Do you happen to know if this would work with Russ Thompson's turn signal system? The Nardi wheel also has a horn button. In a perfect world, I'd add the quick disconnect and still keep the horn button functionality! That would be pretty cool.
    Russ told me that his turn signal was not compatible with the breeze quick connect, so I'd assume the same is true here.
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I immediately dismissed the wood wheel from the very beginning because of the narrow rim, and I truly do like the leather for both the fat rim and the grip. Although a wood wheel is not my first choice, I can understand its appeal to others, and with a fat rim, it might deserve a second look.

Used to auto-x and time trial a fox mustang with PS AND a 13 inch wheel. I had NO problems, but others who drove the car complained that the steering was "sensitive".

Post Thanks / Like
    I currently have the FFR leather steering wheel that I ordered with my complete kit, but I'm now second-guessing my choice of steering wheel. I love the look of wood steering wheels, but I don't love the feel of thin wood steering wheels when driving. Lately, I've been doing a bit of searching on wood steering wheel options. I was poking around the Nardi website this morning and came across a few wheels that look interesting.

This is their "ND Classic" in a 330mm (~13 inch) diameter) they also make it in 340mm, 360mm, and 390mm. However, this one looks interesting to me for a couple of reasons... first it has a nice thick wood rim, and second I think a 13" diameter with power steering might help the whole cockpit feel a little less cramped and still drive pretty easily. So, has anyone tried a Nardi wheel? Any idea what it would take to get one to bolt up to the FFR bolt pattern? What are everyone's thoughts on the thicker rim, and the 13" diameter?

5061.33.3000.jpg
    I had a slightly larger Nardi wheel on my 87 VDP Jag, beautiful finish and quality. Made the driving experience even better. Scott

Jag Pics 002.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Do you happen to know if this would work with Russ Thompson's turn signal system?

The Nardi wheel also has a horn button. In a perfect world, I'd add the quick disconnect and still keep the horn button functionality!

I suspect either (Breeze quick release) could be probably be made to work with the Russ Thompson turn signal - but the problem there becomes getting the steering wheel too close to the driver (in an already small roadster) - no room for all that.

I think there are quick releases made to preserve horn button functionality, but this isn't one of them (and they are not cheap).

Post Thanks / Like
    I went ahead and ordered the steering wheel, along with Nardi's adapter ring to convert "Nardi Personal" bolt pattern to Momo/Sparco bolt pattern. We'll see if this can be made to work somehow. More to come...

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like that center piece of the Nardi wheel covers the screw holes. So drilling the Nardi may not be a problem.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would also like to convert to a Nardi steering wheel and would like to hear your solution.

Post Thanks / Like
    I received the Nardi wheel several weeks ago, along with the "Nardi Personal" to "Sparco/Momo" hole pattern adapter. Let me start by saying that the Nardi wheel is a thing of beauty. the quality of the wood and overall construction are superb.

I have a few different options that I'm weighing in terms of how I'll install the wheel, but it looks like it's definitely doable with a little massaging. I'm planning to use the Russ Thompson turn signal system, and Russ has already machined my steering wheel hub. He does some pretty involved machining to the back of the hub to integrate it into the turn signal system, and he also turns the OD down by a few millimeters. This appears to be a purely cosmetic touch to get a shiny finish on the hub, but unfortunately it may end up requiring me to order a new hub from FFR. The bolt pattern of the Nardi wheel is larger than the FFR bolt pattern and is very close to the edge of the hub after Russ' machining. Interestingly, the OD of the Nardi adapter is nearly identical to the OD that the hub would have been prior to it being turned down. So, the obvious (and easiest) answer would be to order another hub from FFR, have Russ machine it as required for the turn signal system and also drill the bolt pattern for the Nardi wheel on the face of it, but don't turn it down.

What may complicate matters is a decision on which center cap I want to use. The easy solution is to drill the new steering hub for the Nardi bolt pattern, and then use the FFR center cap. This avoids the need for any additional adapters which would move the steering wheel closer to me. However, the center cap and horn button that came with the Nardi wheel are pretty darn nice, and using the Nardi center cap as a horn button would allow me to use the button on the stalk of the RT turn signal for high beams instead, which would be very cool. However, this would require using the Nardi adapter, as it is what holds the center section with the horn button. Decisions... decisions....

Here are some photos:

Here's the current assortment of parts (RT turn signal, FFR and Nardi center caps, RT-machined FFR steering wheel hub, and Nardi adapter)

Here are a couple of shots of the Nardi wheel with the FFR and Nardi center caps:

... and a couple of shots of the machined FFR steering hub and Nardi adapter:

Post Thanks / Like
    A little off message but Moto Lita will make a custom/special order wheel with thicker wood, darker stain, and Cobra mounting hole pattern. I had them make me a 12" wheel in red leather with Cobra hole pattern. A little pricey (a year ago it was GBP 350 plus shipping) but bolts right on. Also I recommend buying 100 degree countersunk screws for use with the RT signal system, 1/4-20 x 1.5" from McMaster-Carr, no need to countersink your wheel (RT sends 82 degree countersunk screws with the kit).

Post Thanks / Like
    Nardi is respected enough in the motoring world, that using their center cap, won't take away, or degrade, your car in any way. It's not like some cheap wheel from the local performance shop..If the solution to use that cap is the best, just go with it.

Personally, I wouldn't use the FFR logo'd one anyways. The AC, or Cobra original type caps are far classier, in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you get the adapter to work?

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been away from the forum and away from the build for several months. Life gets in the way sometimes. As I've been slowly restarting the build, I've been perusing the forum and saw a few posts recently about using an NRG steering wheel quick release with the Russ Thompson turn signal system by frd2 and Edwardb here and here. This looked like an intriguing option and potential solution to the problem of how to mount my Nardi steering wheel to the RT hub, so I ordered one from Amazon (P/N SRK-400BK) and it arrived today. When I had ordered the Nardi wheel I had also ordered an adapter that converts from Nardi/Personal to Momo/Sparco bolt patterns. I assumed I'd have to use this adapter to mount the Nardi wheel to the NRG quick release. I was a little concerned, as this would add another 1/2" of stack height on top of the QR, but was curious to see if it would even work. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the NRG quick release is drilled for both Momo/Sparco and Nardi/Personal. So now I have a couple of options. The benefit of using the spacer is that the Nardi center button/emblem will drop right in. Without the adapter the pocket isn't quite deep enough, so I'll have to modify the center button/badge to fit in there, but I gain 1/2" of stack.

The attached photos are just a proof of concept, so everything is just hand-tightened but it looks like it will work fine. I still need to drill/tap the RT hub to accept the NRG QR base, as well as modify the base as shown in the threads above, but I'm very encouraged so far. A few folks had PM'ed me asking if I'd found a solution to mounting the Nardi wheel, so I thought I'd pass along my findings. Thanks again to frd2 and Edwardb for their excellent posts on the QR.

Here you can see the components of the NRQ quick-release, along with the Nardi to Momo adapter.

Here you can see the Nardi wheel mounted to the NRG QR with (top photos) and without (bottom photos) the adapter.

Post Thanks / Like
    In Paul's build thread (edwardb) he figured out that our (older version) of the Russ Thompson could be shortened to help offset the addition of the release. Sure looks like your version has the same opportunity. Looks like a ridge on the column where he machined it to fit into the VW assembly. Cut off some of the length and you should be good to go.

Mock it up to make sure. And the screw holding the russ thompson assembly together is not a tapped in threaded connection. It is a clamp, so simply loosen a little bit and slide it apart.

Glad to see others are giving this a shot (I told Paul maybe we should by some stock in NRG!)

Greg

22. Thanks JohnK thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A few folks had PM'ed me asking if/how I'd gotten the Nardi wheel to work, so I wanted to post an update to this thread in case anyone comes across it in the future. I finally got the last piece of the puzzle today. The details are in my build thread here.