BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  85
Likes Likes:  149
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: MJS Mk4 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Short list is getting shorter.
    Made it through the registration process and officially road legal!
    Coupe Kit Delivered 11/10/23

Roadster Build thread: 2019-2022 https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...4-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    What an inspiring vantage point, Mike! Looking through the windshield of your licensed Roadster. Congrats! That's got to an amazing feeling.
    Chris Build Thread Index
    Complete kit delivered: 10/15/2020. First Start: 6/25/22. First Go-Kart: 8/14/22. Legal: 7/25/23.
    Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars.
    This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin.
    Build Thread

3. Likes MSumners liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,

How cool is that. Now there's no excuse to miss the next Saturday morning coffee. I'm thinking 7/23 or 30.

You will be a welcome addition. I think we'll have 3 other roadsters and maybe a friend's coupe.

Grand Rapids, MI (Cascade) in case anyone else is interested. PM please if so.

Jim
    2016 Mk4 Challenge Car, IRS, 3.31 Torsen, RDI Aluminum 427w, AFR 225s, Vic Jr. ProSystems 780 HP, TKO-600 w/Liberty mods. Forward cage. Levy 6/4 piston Wilwoods. Not completed yet, will be a streetable track car.
    2004 Superformance MkIII #1855, 2007 Superformance MkIII #2584 purchased in 2012 both sold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim , I was on call and as commonly occurs I was at the hospital. Would be happy to host next time and actually meet the crew.

Roadster Build thread: 2019-2022 https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...4-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    About to do the license plate mod to fit the plate that is commonly referenced. Before I disassemble the light assembly, what’s the best method (or even acceptable) to cut the lens. I don’t have a bandsaw but do have a dremel.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a fine tooth coping saw. Cut off wheel in a Dremel will melt through the plastic and leave a globbed up edge (that’s a technical term ).

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jeff. Perfect, seems like a reasonable enough tool to add to the collection��

Post Thanks / Like

300 mile report:
    Finally got the plate attached and decided to just notch it a bit. I went with the simple descriptive approach. Every time I walked out before to work on little final touches (plate, HA), I just ended up firing it up and driving. Everything is working great and no issues.
    Definitely adding a remote jump terminals. I’m using the front battery location and I quickly realized if you run down the battery and have to jump it this location it is unnecessarily exciting. Time to get some actual graduation pics taken and make it official. That’s next. Thanks again to everyone for all the assistance throughout the build.

10. Likes 460.465USMC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    looks great! I like the finish on the roll bars to match the stripe. I also ended up notching my plate instead of doing the light mod. looking forward to those graduation pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good.
    Jim
    2016 Mk4 Challenge Car, IRS, 3.31 Torsen, RDI Aluminum 427w, AFR 225s, Vic Jr. ProSystems 780 HP, TKO-600 w/Liberty mods. Forward cage. Levy 6/4 piston Wilwoods. Not completed yet, will be a streetable track car.
    2004 Superformance MkIII #1855, 2007 Superformance MkIII #2584 purchased in 2012 both sold.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is going to be a “track night in America” day at Gingerman raceway and I’m thinking of joining the novice group to learn something and hopefully have some fun. I fortuitously have the Thursday off that it’s scheduled.
    I looked on the page and it seems there are not a lot of restrictions as I was seeing if the cobra would be allowed or what equipment I would need. Anyone done this before with any advice?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,

Been there, done that, multiple times. Gingerman is a great track to learn on, Grattan not so much.

Helmet, kinda a given. shield or safety glasses.
    Cotton clothes, no polyester.

Check all fluids, bring extra
    Cleaning rags or paper towel
    Whatever supplies you think you'll need
    Tools. A basic kit, easier to not need it than not have it.
    Ground cloth - everything in the car that is loose will come out, this includes anything in the trunk.
    Tire pressure gauge, the track has air & water.
    Many drivers blue-tape the leading edges of the car to protect the edges and surfaces.

Here's what you'll experience
    Where on the street you run in the lower RPM range on the track you'll run in the upper.
    Oil will get hot, water should be good
    Tires will get hot, you'll most likely need to adjust
    Brake fluid will get hot, there's a reason for the 600-degree fluids, but you'll probably not get there
    Brake pads, depending on your initial selection, may fade

There's more, call if you wish.
    If you want a "pit crew" I'd be happy come along. I feel at "home" at the track. But the track people and organizers are great.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Time to make this official. Planning to get more photos posted but for now this will have to do. Just haven’t had time lately to get the car out too much between work and other projects.
    Started in March of 2019.
    Off to Paint at Ken Pikes in July 2021.
    Arrived back from Paint April 2022.
    Ill call graduation now. Of course everyone knows the saying and yes a couple things to finish / adjust this winter.
    Thanks to everyone in this community for keeping me on track and answering the myriad questions that allowed me to see this through to the finish! Turned out better than I ever could have wished.
    500 miles on the odo this summer and no issues to-date. Runs and drives beautifully.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hot Damn!!! Looks great. You did a spectacular job. Time for you to enjoy putting on the miles.
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks fantastic. Congratulations. Love all the custom touches you did. Tasteful and well executed. I know the transportation and time for paint was longer than expected. But turned out really nice. Hope to see it in person some day.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mike,

Nice final result! I like your color choices...I was thinking of something similar (dark metallic blue with Gunmetal grey metallic stripes)...

What were your color names/numbers?

Craig C

Post Thanks / Like
    Really impressed with the dash! Very nice ride. Watching for color ? reply. Mine is already painted, but yours looks great.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful work. Absolutely gorgeous
    MK4 #10008 - Ordered 10/06/20, Delivered 03/03/21, First Start 7/22/21, First Go Kart 7/24/21
    Paint by Metal Morphous 5/14/22, Legally registered 6/8/22, Graduated 7/20/22
    Build Thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...been-delivered
    Complete Kit, Ford 306, Sniper/Dual Sync, T5, Hydraulic clutch

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful car, Mike, with a lot of distinctive touches that you pulled together really well. Nice job. Enjoy the ride!
    MK4 #7838: IRS 3.55 TrueTrac T5z Dart 347
    The drawing is from ~7th grade, mid-1970s
    Meandering, leisurely build thread is here

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations. Great looking car. Glad you got it done in time to put some miles on it before the weather turns. Well done.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the kind remarks!

Colors are Lexus Indigo Ink and Lambo Titanium. I’ll have to check for exact codes don’t recall off-hand.

24. Thanks cc2Arider thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful. Love it!
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just caught up. Great job! Absolutely beautiful.
    MKIV Complete Kit #9822 l BluePrint 347 EFI l TKO600 l Power Steering l Heater/Defrost l Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Been on the fence for awhile about timing and that was all it took. What better way to kick off the new year than get the Coupe order in. Of course the rainbow flames are up for debate..
    Delayed? delivery until August 1.
    Plan is coyote, TKX. All the usual upgrades. The new build space is coming along well and should be easily fully operational by summer. Really excited to get into a build again and apply things I learned from the roadster build and learn new things! As always will appreciate the help of the forum. I’ll get a build thread going closer to delivery.
    Last edited by MSumners; 01-01-2023 at 09:40 AM.

28. Likes GTBradley, 460.465USMC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    And every spring the beasts will emerge from their hibernation
    Beautiful day for a years first drive

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,
    Looks great. Hope to see it soon. I would expect that Saturday morning coffee will start soon.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1855 View Post
    Mike,
    Looks great. Hope to see it soon. I would expect that Saturday morning coffee will start soon.
    Jim
    Sounds great! Was just thinking the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful!
    MKIV, Coyote Gen3, TKO 500

Post Thanks / Like
    700 Mile update.
    Driving every chance I get. I find that typically what would be a quick 10-15 minute trip turns into a 1 hour cruise where I drive in concentric circles coming back to the house because I really don't want to stop driving.
    Around 600 miles I took a couple days and went through every single bolt and connection I could find and did an oil change and lubed everything. A few things needed re-tightening / torquing. One of the rear control arm adjustment sleeve jam nuts had loosened ever so slightly from the witness mark. Looks like at the alignment I had performed no locktite was used. For now these all got blue locktite and re-torqued until alignment can be re-verified.
    One of the 6 bolts holding on the steering wheel actually was loose, I bought new longer 16mm torx head bolts and re-applied blue locktite and better believe I'll be watching those closely. Other than that just needed to tighten down all of the hose clamps the slightest bit.
    After reading some recent threads about the small amount of play in the steering column and possible solutions I decided to switch out for one of the clamp style U joints. Picked one up from Jegs ( I think) that is a 3/4 DD, 3/4 36 spline and was able to get it mounted.
    I loosened the lower steering shaft set screws but despite this due to the angle of the U joint the only way to connect it ( so far) was with the steering wheel slightly cockeyed because the shaft bottoms out at certain angles. I'll have to look closer to get this re-aligned. I can say I was surprised how much more solid feeling the car is simply making this change. Of course I re-lubed everything so hard to say what was what but it was a noticeable change.
    Looking forward to more driving days ahead.

34. Likes 460.465USMC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Winter time to nut and bolt the roadster. Anyone have any input into a stuck RT turn signal. Will depress down (left) but otherwise sticks at neutral and can’t engage right signal ( lever up). Feel like I remember reading about similar issues in the past but can’t find any threads currently.

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember reading to NOT pull on the wiring harness, due to interference in operation.
    Obviously you can try pushing the harness up into the hub.
    good luck,
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

37. Thanks MSumners thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    I remember reading to NOT pull on the wiring harness, due to interference in operation.
    Obviously you can try pushing the harness up into the hub.
    good luck,
    Thanks for the thoughts I will try that again. I realized I have a new unmounted RT assembly to compare to I ordered for the coupe build about a year ago. Looks like one of the tabs that you can see is restricted , probably end up as carefully as possible disassembling and trying to remedy. I’ll post my experience, if I can’t get it to work probably just wire up a separate toggle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pulled the wheel and got the RT signal off and found the culprit. The two wires going to the stalk were restricting the movement. I’m actually not using them so I just clipped and removed. Now moving smooth again. I probably inadvertent pulled on it when I was reconnecting the plugs behind the dash.

40. Likes Railroad liked this post
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415