Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  85
Likes Likes:  149
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: MJS Mk4 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like

MJS Mk4 Build Thread

Figured I should get this kicked off. The stars aligned and tomorrow, on my 40th birthday, the stewart truck is scheduled to arrive and drop off the kit sometime mid-day. Ordered in December and completion day was March 9th. I've spent a great deal of time researching on this forum and going through threads that others have been so thorough in creating. A special thanks to edwardb, wareaglescott, badasp, dadofthree and others as I already learned so much from following threads and questions. I'm not sure I would take this on if it were not for the forum help available. I don't have a ton of experience and I would imagine most of my posts will be along the lines of "check out this picture and let me known what you think", so thanks ahead of time. Probably I will try to update weekly. Most of the time Ill have will be weekends and an hour or two most nights of the week after the rest of the fam goes to sleep, so I won't be flying through this thing. I'll try to take the good advice from many on this site and research first and execute second.

So to get to it, the build plan thus far:
    Complete kit, powder coat
    IRS, Red Wilwoods, 18" Halibrand
    Just kept the bare pipes in the kit and planning either quiet pipes or Gas'n
    Dart 347 EFI with mech throttle and hydraulic clutch, Liberty TKO 600, Quick time housing, in tank pump, trick flow filter.
    Leather seats
    Custom dash to be determined
    Breeze parts so far: Radiator shroud, upper and lower radiator mount, front battery box.
    Dual Breeze roll bars
    Still some things I'm certain will change along the way..

Maybe this pic attachment will work?
    If it does, garage ready for delivery

IMG_1061.jpg
    Needed a place to store the body and figured ceiling of the back third stall would work. We will see tomorrow how close my measurements are if this will actually work. I have a separate pulley system I rigged up to take the body on and off as I'll be solo for the vast majority of the time. Of course this was inspired by others.
    Last edited by MSumners; 03-21-2019 at 09:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Picture seemed to go through but not sure how to rotate it as its sideways.

Anyhow, received the Wilwoods last week and figured I would try my hand at safety wiring as I've never done that before.
    After the first couple I got the hang of it, mostly it was hard just from the small space to pull the wires through but some needle nose pliers did this trick fine.
    For those doing it for the first time, from another beginner, one piece of advice.
    As below, once you have the wire through the first bolt the key for me was standing straight over the second bolt and lining up where to clamp the wires. Based on specifically where the hole was in the bolt you can make small adjustments so the twisted portion ends right where you need it at the next bolt.
    See picture
    IMG_1100.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1097.jpg

3. Likes Jdauble liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations. Thanks for the shout out. It is actually quite fun to build this car. If you can stay on a good steady schedule and work that schedule, it will come together very quickly. Again congratulations and let us all know if you have any questions.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome fellow Michigander. From the other side of the state. Congrats on your order and sounds like a nice build. Planning power steering? You won't regret it. I loved the Dart 347 in my 7750 build. For a pushrod motor. Adding EFI is a nice touch. Will be interested to hear how it works for you. Very nice job on the safety wires. Really the first time? If you ever get over this direction, Dream Cruise, or whatever, give me a shout out. Lots of enthusiasts and a great club over here. Good luck with your delivery and settle in for a nice enjoyable build. Along with lots of others on here, ready and willing to help.
    Last edited by edwardb; 03-21-2019 at 09:56 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Happy 40th! Congratulations and welcome. Look forward to following your progress
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to The Fray. I have loved having my car to work on, even if it's only the extra hour or two you mention. Safety wire looks great.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Good look! Exciting times these are!
    Higgy
    New MK4 kit picked up 4/10/23!!!
    SOLD
    MK4 #9759 picked up on 4/3/19
    351C, 3 link, 17's, dual roll bars

Post Thanks / Like
    Delivery Day!
    All was smooth but I actually couldn't get back from work early afternoon so papa helped out.

IMG_1128.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Some initial inventory questions.

1: These locknuts look almost oval and the threads look uneven. I've never come across this before. Is this normal?
    IMG_1182.jpg

2: Anyone know what these are, the inventory list they came with is pictured as well.
    IMG_1184.jpg

3: Are these the "aluminum edge trim"
    IMG_1187.jpg

4: Are these the 10mm and 1/4 brake line adaptor?
    IMG_1188.jpg

5: Quickjacks?
    IMG_1190.jpg

Thanks for any help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Partial answers:

1. Those are distorted lock nuts. That's how they're supposed to be.

2. Those are the U-nuts listed. Something to do with brake lines, but I've not used them on my builds, so not exactly sure what they're for.

3. Aluminum edge trim in the past was a smaller size white nylon material that you glued around sharp edges to prevent chafing on wires, convolute, etc. Maybe replaced with something like that, but I don't know.

4. Don't know. Haven't used those pieces either.

5. Those are for hood pins. I'm assuming you (like every kit delivery for the past xx years) have hood hinges. A mystery to me why they're still included. Scrap metal.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info I appreciate it

This isn't a question but just made me laugh, I love how one is Made in India and the other is "Made in India"
    IMG_1189.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! I’m just a little bit ahead of you. Bolt by bolt - rivet by rivet! Looking forward to following your build thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    4. Yes

Those, like the hood pin plates and some assorted connectors, relays, etc. are vestiges of the pure donor concept. I think the packages that include bits and pieces such as these are prepared in bulk and go out with every kit regardless of whether the parts are applicable or not. Somewhere along the way it's probably been calculated and determined that it is less costly to simply include a few dollars worth of items which may not be necessary rather than to expend the labor and paperwork needed to "pick & pull" on a kit by kit basis.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    4. Yes

Those, like the hood pin plates and some assorted connectors, relays, etc. are vestiges of the pure donor concept. I think the packages that include bits and pieces such as these are prepared in bulk and go out with every kit regardless of whether the parts are applicable or not. Somewhere along the way it's probably been calculated and determined that it is less costly to simply include a few dollars worth of items which may not be necessary rather than to expend the labor and paperwork needed to "pick & pull" on a kit by kit basis.

Jeff
    Gotcha, thank you

Nearly finished with detailed inventory, not bad overall. Actually fun to go through everything. That wiring harness gets your attention. Probably the most daunting part of the build for me. So far just missing a few random screws and nuts and nothing on the POL list that would hold me up at all. And a couple boxes were mislabeled but everything became accounted for. Good to go through everything in detail and know all the parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    If those fender nuts, u nuts, are 3/8" they may be used for the front gas tank straps. F5 sent nyloc nuts with my kit, but I bought some of the fender nuts and with a little grinding, made them work. No holding the nut, to install or remove the front strap bolts.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love this place...
    I was just about to post about the above #5 brackets - what are they for?? Now I know.

(pretty intricate laser-cut piece/stamping to just toss...)
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    If those fender nuts, u nuts, are 3/8" they may be used for the front gas tank straps. F5 sent nyloc nuts with my kit, but I bought some of the fender nuts and with a little grinding, made them work. No holding the nut, to install or remove the front strap bolts.
    Thanks for the tip I’ll keep that in mind!

Post Thanks / Like
    Still going through inventory!
    All in all not bad. I need to study the pedalbox instructions though I couldn’t even identify what some of the things may have been on the inventory. After I do that if I still can’t figure some parts out I’ll post questions. Looked in every box again twice and still couldn’t find the rear view mirror or the quickjacks. Other than that just a few random nuts and bolts.

1:Are these the hood hinges?
    EE37204D-172C-4571-B9A7-47DC066D74D6.jpeg

2: Rear view mirror tool?
    307C76E3-483A-433F-867E-AF0DAE67DC33.jpeg

3: I have no idea
    06B6E345-F025-4697-BB34-7AD8920DF85D.jpeg

Thanks again for the help.!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Welcome fellow Michigander. From the other side of the state. Congrats on your order and sounds like a nice build. Planning power steering? You won't regret it. I loved the Dart 347 in my 7750 build. For a pushrod motor. Adding EFI is a nice touch. Will be interested to hear how it works for you. Very nice job on the safety wires. Really the first time? If you ever get over this direction, Dream Cruise, or whatever, give me a shout out. Lots of enthusiasts and a great club over here. Good luck with your delivery and settle in for a nice enjoyable build. Along with lots of others on here, ready and willing to help.
    Sorry late reply to earlier post. Thank you, yes first attempt at safety wires. Really took some force to get them pulled tight and I felt that for the next couple days. I just picked up some cheapo safety wire pliers and they seemed to work fine. Actually gripped the wore really well. The pliers I used in my other hand slipped intermittently and I ended up with bloody knuckles a couple times.
    I am actually out your way a fair amount and I’m also doing the build course in a couple weeks. Sometime I’m heading out maybe I could stop through and check out the build, especially later when I have more pointed questions it would be good to see some particular aspects in person.
    Thanks again. !
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MSumners View Post
    Still going through inventory!
    All in all not bad. I need to study the pedalbox instructions though I couldn’t even identify what some of the things may have been on the inventory. After I do that if I still can’t figure some parts out I’ll post questions. Looked in every box again twice and still couldn’t find the rear view mirror or the quickjacks. Other than that just a few random nuts and bolts.

1:Are these the hood hinges?
    EE37204D-172C-4571-B9A7-47DC066D74D6.jpeg

2: Rear view mirror tool?
    307C76E3-483A-433F-867E-AF0DAE67DC33.jpeg

3: I have no idea
    06B6E345-F025-4697-BB34-7AD8920DF85D.jpeg

Thanks again for the help.!

1 - Trunk lid Hinges
    2 - Windshield Wiper Drill Guide/tool
    3 - Left in photo, Fuel Tank filler tube holder and right in photo, Fuel filter holder- will be used with large hose clamp and fuel filter

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600

Post Thanks / Like
    D5619DAF-5124-4050-AE2F-5C905869438E.jpg
    Body off, inventory done. Time to get to work.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Working nonstop this week so not much happening until the weekend. Did put the lower control arms in but not tightened down as I’m getting shorter bolts for the front.
    Is this too much of a gap to have prior to tightening everything down?
    7017875C-4848-4EA0-A249-E973334D8151.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Also flipped the upper arms around.
    Verifying these are correct?
    DC0E7B4E-C365-4E5B-813C-3A586E5E0495.jpg153E780B-98D1-4BB9-B102-A3C12F665294.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Trying to get either the factory or the aftermarket Moog ball joints in was not even close to happening. I’ll try the wire wheel and see if I get anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a link to #9365's front suspension.
    On pic 2 you can just see a hint of the spacer washer on the aft pivot of the LCA. I wouldn't "pull" it tight, slide in a washer.

2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, adjusted the tabs and got the spacing set right before torquing it down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Still trying to get the balljoints in. Both the included mevtechs and the Moog 772 I can’t even get the threads started. Tried the wire wheel and the vise. Trying not to force it too much, I assume the threads should start fairly easily?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry about your troubles with the ball joints. I ordered a set of Moog's due to the troubles everyone was having with the Mevtechs and fortunately for me the screwed right in with very little effort. Have you tried putting the Moog's in the freezer overnight (they will shrink) and then screwing them in?

Since you are in Michigan and it is still a little cool for us northerners, you may tried applying a little heat to the end of the UCA where the ball joint screws in just before trying to screw in the frozen ball joint.
    Last edited by Cruzzz; 04-04-2019 at 06:33 PM.
    MKIV #9542 Complete Kit, Coyote, IRS - Delivered - 2/19/19, First start - 9/8/19, Go Cart - 9/14/19
    1965 Mustang Convertible 4v 289
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ll try the freezer! Thanks for the advice.
    In the meantime I can work on the shocks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hard to be completely sure, but I don't think you have the UCA's re-assembled properly. The zerks have to point up, and the upper ball joint mount pointed out. Study the picture in the manual carefully, shown below.

As for the ball joints, welcome to the club. I've not had good luck with the kit provided ones either. But many say wire brushing the threads gets it done. Maybe the heat/cooling thing would help. But I wouldn't get crazy putting heat on the that ball joint mount. But that's just me maybe. Keep in mind that if you go to extraordinary lengths to get them on, you may never get them off once they have some mileage and time on them. I wouldn't be happy until they go on with reasonable force.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Hard to be completely sure, but I don't think you have the UCA's re-assembled properly. The zerks have to point up, and the upper ball joint mount pointed out. Study the picture in the manual carefully, shown below.

As for the ball joints, welcome to the club. I've not had good luck with the kit provided ones either. But many say wire brushing the threads gets it done. Maybe the heat/cooling thing would help. But I wouldn't get crazy putting heat on the that ball joint mount. But that's just me maybe. Keep in mind that if you go to extraordinary lengths to get them on, you may never get them off once they have some mileage and time on them. I wouldn't be happy until they go on with reasonable force.

Agreed! I had one backwards and after looking at it earlier switched it to the correct orientation.
    I’ll try the freezer but if it doesn’t go easy step back and re-assess again
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have a link to the Howe racing set that may work? If they go in without so much hassle I’ll gladly pay!
    Tried the wire wheel on the factory set with no luck. I just don’t want to mess the arms up spending so much time trying to make these work.

Post Thanks / Like
    After I stepped back to re-check this whole situation, and looked through some images from prior threads, realized the upper A- arms I have are different than previously provided. The receiving threads for the ball joint, and the whole section, is covered in a similar coating as the Mevtech ball joints. - see below - I then took a small Dremel wire and smoothed out the inner threads as well BOOM - balljoints threaded in easily. Oddly enough, even after this I still could not get the Moog k772's to go in. Oh well, I only bought them in the first place because I thought it would save a hassle, if only I had known.
    Anyway, they are in and ready to go.
    blljt.jpg

** does anyone know why all the images I upload are crooked or how I could fix it?
    Thanks again!
    Last edited by MSumners; 04-04-2019 at 09:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MSumners View Post

** does anyone know why all the images I upload are crooked or how I could fix it?
    Thanks again!
    So here is how I fix the image... While going through the motions here on the forums page to select the image, I first right click on the image and select "Edit" this, on my computer, will open the image in "paint". Then, all I have to do is hit save and it seems to fix the problem. While in paint, at times I will crop down the image if needed and even change some sizing. You can also add arrows or text during this. But regardless, all that is needed to get the photo to show up straight is to hit save and then upload. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    So here is how I fix the image... While going through the motions here on the forums page to select the image, I first right click on the image and select "Edit" this, on my computer, will open the image in "paint". Then, all I have to do is hit save and it seems to fix the problem. While in paint, at times I will crop down the image if needed and even change some sizing. You can also add arrows or text during this. But regardless, all that is needed to get the photo to show up straight is to hit save and then upload. Hope this helps.
    Thanks I will try this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Working on the front suspension, anyone see any issues prior to moving on. Trimmed the rear control arm adjustment sleeves and anti-seized them but realized I may have to go back and trim the bolt as well. Does anyone know if that is required or is trimming the rear sleeve enough?
    Thanks again! (Thanks basasp, got the pictures oriented correctly)
    ctd.jpg
    sus.jpg
    Last edited by MSumners; 04-06-2019 at 08:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    There's a pretty lengthy banter about this subject on my build thread, but what it came down to was trimming off the ends of the sleeve netted me the adjustment range to get the magic 7deg's + adjustment.

Here's a link to a little device I made

Post Thanks / Like
    Are these two panels at the trunk supposed to line up perfectly on fitting?
    Thanks!

2A427965-DA29-4896-B19E-2324235A8C5B.jpg

41. Likes jwd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Perfect, thanks. I remember reading that but then couldn’t remember exactly where. Hope to get by with just the sleeve modification.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    There's a pretty lengthy banter about this subject on my build thread, but what it came down to was trimming off the ends of the sleeve netted me the adjustment range to get the magic 7deg's + adjustment.

Here's a link to a little device I made

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast