Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Finishing up Cobra 55...Coyotes are great!

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Finishing up Cobra 55...Coyotes are great!

Finishing up a cobra for a guy in Texas and broke the motor in this afternoon and then did some power pulls....386RWHP on a Mustang dyno!

Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

2. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think that I have ever seen you wearing long pants....

Olli

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Olli View Post

Olli
    Was cold this morning...

Post Thanks / Like
    That is cool... I've never had the opportunity to run a car on a dyno or even be there to watch a run for that matter... Could you please tell me, what gear do you run in for the pull?

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    That is cool... I've never had the opportunity to run a car on a dyno or even be there to watch a run for that matter... Could you please tell me, what gear do you run in for the pull?
    Should be the 1:1 gear.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I did the pull in 3rd gear, it shows about 1.5% less HP than 4th gear pulls. That 1.5% isn't worth the extra wear and tear on the dyno. The rollers are at 100 mph at the top of third and 125+ in 4th

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post

I did the pull in 3rd gear, it shows about 1.5% less HP than 4th gear pulls.
    I understand not wanting to spin everything up to 125mph+, but I'm really surprised that 3rd gear shows less hp than 4th.

I would have expected the mechanical advantage of 3rd to show more hp than 4th.

So I guess that lost/missing hp is being eaten as heat in the transmission gears / bearings / etc???

Just asking (very curious)...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Olli View Post

Olli
    I had EXACTLY the same thought Olli!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike223 View Post

So I guess that lost/missing hp is being eaten as heat in the transmission gears / bearings / etc???

Further thought:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised by that since I already knew the mechanical advantage of the rear end is getting "eaten" in the same manner.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ok HP measurement isn't being affected by gear ratio, if it was then every car would have to have the same overall ratios in order for comparison. Now there is measured differences in doing a pull in 3rd vs 4th vs 5th gears on the same vehicle due to the tooth angle of the gears. Picture 4th which is usually 1:1 and how the gears mesh, they are meeting at exactly the same angle, and departing at the same angles. 1:1 gears are still eating HP due to friction and being converted into heat energy Picture a gear that is 4" in diameter meshed with a gear that is 2" in diameter and the tooth engagement is much different so there is extra friction being turned into heat which is causing the loss. It doesn't matter if it is under drive or over drive, the extra frictional losses are still there. The rear end is eating HP due to the friction of the gears meshing friction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post

Ok HP measurement isn't being affected by gear ratio, if it was then every car would have to have the same overall ratios in order for comparison. Now there is measured differences in doing a pull in 3rd vs 4th vs 5th gears on the same vehicle due to the tooth angle of the gears. Picture 4th which is usually 1:1 and how the gears mesh, they are meeting at exactly the same angle, and departing at the same angles.

1:1 gears are still eating HP due to friction and being converted into heat energy Picture a gear that is 4" in diameter meshed with a gear that is 2" in diameter and the tooth engagement is much different so there is extra friction being turned into heat which is causing the loss. It doesn't matter if it is under drive or over drive, the extra frictional losses are still there. The rear end is eating HP due to the friction of the gears meshing friction.

I agree that any and all gears are eating hp and creating heat through friction.

I disagree on the 1:1 eating hp - typically no gears involved (in v8 RWD transmissions) : locking up the input shaft to the output shaft - where's the friction there? Not much I think...???... (except in the rearend, but that's happening in every gear)

I was just a little surprised to hear that third gear *typically* shows less hp than 4th (1.3~1.5:1 vs 1:1), but I understand how that could happen.

Thanks for your thoughts - I appreciate any further "things to think about"...