Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Upper Ball Joint Grease Boot Gaps

Post Thanks / Like

Upper Ball Joint Grease Boot Gaps

Hey all. Question on the upper ball joint grease boot. Since these were initially assembled, the boot never sat flush to the ball joint leaving a gap. I thought that when it was set on the ground, it would all come together but still have some large gaps where the boot is, to where you can see the grease inside. See picture.

I’m assuming that it should be sealed a little better to not allow dirt inside. Do I need a better fitting boot or are these not installed correctly? These are the FFR ball joints that came with the kit.

Thanks.

9C3E64BB-90B0-4EFD-8EAB-EAD12A8BFB6E.jpg
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

2. Thanks Jdav thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you not able to put the boot up around the ball joint. I know it’s just kind of a slip fit set up, but it should be a pretty tight one.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    Are you not able to put the boot up around the ball joint. I know it’s just kind of a slip fit set up, but it should be a pretty tight one.
    Tried, but didn’t want to slip on. I’ll give it another go tomorrow. The Moogs that I have were already integrated to the ball joint, which was nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never built one with out using Energy Suspension ball joint boots. Don't have the number for them, but a quick search should find them. Sucks having to take it apart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    I've never built one with out using Energy Suspension ball joint boots. Don't have the number for them, but a quick search should find them. Sucks having to take it apart.
    Thanks Rich. If I can't get these to seat, I'll check the Energy's out. Looks like I'll have to take some of it apart anyway as I have Power Steering and looks like to get the correct caster I'll need to trim the end of the rear sleeve on the joint. Will wait and do it all at one time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Energy Suspension 5.13102G Ball Joint Dust Boots. It's a set of four, but the only way I know of to buy them and they're not expensive. I've only used the uppers, and like Rich said, haven't built without them. Having said that, they still are a slip fit over the ball joint. In your picture, looks like maybe too much grease to me with the boot puffed out, which doesn't help.

This is a pic of the Energy Suspension parts on the upper ball joint and tie rod end. I haven't ever messed with the lowers and so far so good.

Last edited by edwardb; 03-24-2019 at 04:22 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Energy Suspension 5.13102G Ball Joint Dust Boots. It's a set of four, but the only way I know of to buy them and they're not expensive. I've only used the uppers, and like Rich said, haven't built without them. Having said that, they still are a slip fit over the ball joint. In your picture, looks like maybe too much grease to me with the boot puffed out, which doesn't help.

This is a pic of the Energy Suspension parts on the upper ball joint and tie rod end. I haven't ever messed with the lowers and so far so good.

Thanks Paul. I'll pick some up. I cleaned out the boot of grease and still no luck. These are designed to just sit flush with the ball joint, but they sag instead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thought I'd follow up and close this thread, as it might help anyone who's using the Moog upper ball joints. To Paul's advice, I swapped out the Moog boots with the Energy boots, and they fit like a glove. Turns out that the Moog boots must be too large or something, as they fold in on themselves once any kind of torque is applied to the joint.

Moog rubber looked like this when pulled out. You can pop them back out, but they go back to this and leave a giant gap.

Stock Moog Boots, before Energy replacements (DON'T USE THESE)

Here's after the Energy replacements:

Thanks again for the recommendation.
    Last edited by cv2065; 05-12-2019 at 11:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post

Paul...will these fit the Mevotech ball joints that come standard with the Roadster? I’ve got the same problem on one of my upper ball joint boots.

Thanks...Jeff
    MK4 complete kit w/powder coated chassis, FFR power steering, 3-link solid Moser rear end w/ cast aluminum cover, low-back vintage racing seats, BluePrint 306 Carb, hydraulic clutch, CNC triple reservoir, Breeze radiator mounts and fan shroud, Metco drive loop, Derale PS cooler, CF dash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffhelms56 View Post
    Paul...will these fit the Mevotech ball joints that come standard with the Roadster? I’ve got the same problem on one of my upper ball joint boots.

Thanks...Jeff
    I haven't used the Mevotch ball joints. No love getting them installed. But the Moog and Howe Racing ball joints I have used look exactly the same. They're all the same Chrysler style ball joint. The Energy Suspension 5.13102G parts should be fine.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Paul. I went ahead and ordered a set on Amazon this morning. Only $8.00 with tax for four. It they don’t work then no big loss. I do not like the Mevotech system at all.
    MK4 complete kit w/powder coated chassis, FFR power steering, 3-link solid Moser rear end w/ cast aluminum cover, low-back vintage racing seats, BluePrint 306 Carb, hydraulic clutch, CNC triple reservoir, Breeze radiator mounts and fan shroud, Metco drive loop, Derale PS cooler, CF dash.

Post Thanks / Like
    I cursed those Moog boots when I first built the roadster..
    What a crappy design for those type of ball joints. There was no ridge for them to slip over, to allow the elasticity to hold them in place. No spring clip to keep them snug.
    You pretty well needed to hammer them on over the joint, with a section of appropriate size pipe. Even then, the lip would pop off.

You need two sets of the ES boots to replace both top and bottom boots. Shame they don't sell them independently.

Post Thanks / Like
    reviving this thread to ask a question. One of my upper dust boots got torn, so I'm thinking of replacing it with Energy suspension ones (in fact I bought already both upper and lower boots). Any tricks regarding the replacement I need to know before getting into this endeavor? Any special tools needed? how much time to plan for this to replace all four?
    Build thread
    FFR mk4 roadster complete kit, 347 cu in carbed BluePrint engine, TKO600, IRS, power steering, ordered Jan2020, delivered 3/25/20, titled 8/23/20, finished 07/17/2021, graduated 10/06/2021