BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Painting Racing Stripes

Post Thanks / Like

Painting Racing Stripes

Is it possible to accurately paint on racing stripes with the body off? Has anyone successfully done it? If, so, how would you go about it?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure. It's done that way all the time. My builds were laid out with the body off. The hood and trunk and placed and the stripes masked off. The pros (certainly not me) can give appropriate details. This was my Mk3 build in the booth preparing for stripes.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, you need to have the hood and trunk lid properly centered in the body so that the stripes will be aligned across those panels. We used masking tape to hold the hood and trunk in the proper position while we laid out the stripes.

Wade

4. Thanks 1965daytona thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep! Like they said. Shoot stripe color down the center, Set hood and deck in place with some foam strips to hold up level, set the gaps ,tape in place, mask stripes, cut gaps, remove parts, finish taping, shoot body color, unmask stripes, clearcoat . When you put your hood and deck on when you are done you only need to line the stripes up,,,gaps will take care of themselves...da Bat...….at least I think that's what they said....right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have a recipe for how to paint racing stripes on a car that has already been painted and clearcoated? My original plan was to have the stripes laid on at a vinyl wrap shop. But they are having problems doing it so I may have to resort to painting them on. I really do not want to have to redo the whole car. Any suggestions. I did all the paint work myself so I'd be doing the stripes myself as well. I've never done them before so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    You can do the stripes in single stage. You will have a small edge but not much diff from vinyl. Mask it off, scuff with 600 or 800 shoot, peel and drive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Am I the only one who thinks those gorgeously sexy curves are better revealed without the distraction of the straight lines of racing stripes?

But, I do agree that they great advantage FFR cars have is that they are all built to the individual tastes of their owners. And, that's a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
    You can do the stripes in single stage. You will have a small edge but not much diff from vinyl. Mask it off, scuff with 600 or 800 shoot, peel and drive.
    And it will look more period correct than the current practice of so much clear that edge is gone. I am sure any that got stripes back in the 60s were done exactly as J.Miller says.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    And it will look more period correct than the current practice of so much clear that edge is gone. I am sure any that got stripes back in the 60s were done exactly as J.Miller says.
    Yep ! We didn't have clearcoat back in the day. ..da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys for the recommendations. Sounds like single stage it the way to go. Do you guys have any tips, tricks , hacks on how to scuff up the paint at the edges of the masking lines without damaging the masking lines. Or do I have to lay it out, scuff it up, remove it then redo the masking? Thanks again for sharing your knowledges and expertise.

Paul