BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Axle assembly write up/video?

Post Thanks / Like

Axle assembly write up/video?

I've seen a few threads about it and visited a couple of build sites, but for some reason this is intimidating for me, plus I've never repacked a CV joint.

I understand that I need to respect the C-clip, and too much grease is not good. I plan to run both the new inner and used 40kmi outer CV's through the parts washer before assembly. Going to re-use the outer C5 boot.

Has anyone done an assembly video for the GTM axle?
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    The inners are easy since you can get to both sides of the CV. Slide the inner boot clamps and boots onto the axle along with the stamped steel "cup" that the inner boot attaches to. Don't forget the "VSS sprocket" if you're using that. If the CV grease comes in a plastic pouch, I snip the corner of the pouch off and use that as a nozzle to force the lube into the CV so it gets down into all of the cracks and crevices. Once the CV is pretty much level-full with lube, slide it onto the axle and install the snap ring to secure it. Put the outer stamped "cup" over the outside to keep it clean and install your boot and boot clamps.

For the outer, that's the one that can be a real PITA. The key seems to be "massaging" the spring clip so it fits fairly tight in the axle groove. If pushing one side of the clip flush with the axle causes the other side of the clip to stick way outside of the axle groove, pull the clip back out and use pliers to work the clip into a smaller diameter and reinstall and check again until you get it so that the OD of the clip is just barely larger than the OD of the axle splines. As for packing the CV, since you can't get to the one side of it, I usually force most of the lube down thru the axle hole and then use the axle itself (without the spring clip installed) to force the lube into the inner part of the CV. Then pack the outside of the CV flush with lube just like you did with the inner CV's. Install boot clamp, boot, spring clip....and here comes the fun part. Having a helper is best in my experience. Clamp the axle into a vice. Get the outer CV started on the splines......not as easy as you might think.....work it around until you feel it "fall" down against the spring clip. Now, have a helper hold some pressure on the CV to try to gently push it onto the axle while you take a small pick or screwdriver to try to reach in and tuck the spring clip into the axle groove. If the helper is pushing too hard, it will pinch the clip so hard you won't be able to move it. Not hard enough and the spring clip will continue to just pop back out of the groove. Gotta find a happy medium where there's just enough pressure there to allow you to move the clip into the groove without just forcing it farther out of the groove on the opposite side. Eventually, when you get everything just right, the CV will "fall" down over the shaft. Secure the boot and you're done! No matter how badly you want to believe that hammering the end of the CV with a dead-blow hammer will squeeze the spring clip into the groove and the CV will go on......well, all you'll manage to do is shear the spring clip in half.

Do not give in to the temptation to fill the boots with lube. Just because you have lube left over does not mean you need to use it. ;-)
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

3. Thanks rolfer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really appreciate you taking the time to write this up, I hope to tackle it next week. If anyone else has tips, please chime in!
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,
    Crash did a video some time ago about prepping the CVs, assembling Etc. Check out his website.
    Cheers, Jeff
    GTM 422, LS6, cam, heads, Mendeola trans

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, just watched Mike's CV prep video. I didn't realize that you needed to smooth out the channels, I'm guessing that increases the lifespan of the joint? I can't imagine Porsche guys are routinely doing that prior to install, or are they?
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    I prepped my axles as per Mikes video. The before and after difference was amazing. I imagine that without cleanup it would "break in" under time and use. During that break in period you are introducing a lot of metal debris into the grease shortening its lifespan. In a 24 hour endurance race it might make a difference.
    Just an old man with a great hobby

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Reid View Post
    I prepped my axles as per Mikes video. The before and after difference was amazing. I imagine that without cleanup it would "break in" under time and use. During that break in period you are introducing a lot of metal debris into the grease shortening its lifespan. In a 24 hour endurance race it might make a difference.
    That's exactly right. The polishing is just to extend the life of the CV a bit. It is certainly not a requirement, but something that I do to every CV that I use for racing and thought I would pass along the info and offer the tool I use specifically for that job.

I have long thought about actually doing an axle assembly video as it is quite the process. Things like seal area prep, proper packing and CV clocking are all things I think could be useful, but I just haven't got around to it. I don't do assembly for customers because the finished product does not ship easily, and it also takes me roughly 6 hours to do a set of axles from start to finish. I usually am only doing the one set a year for PDG and the 25 hour race, and those are usually a "rush job" while trying to get everything else done for that race. If I get the chance I will make up a set early this year and do the video.

I, however, have never, and do not anticipate doing any GM CVs like the standard outer on the GTM as I switch everything over to Porsche 930 inner and outer joints to make the setup more easily repaired in the future. Shane's probably the best information source for those.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    That's exactly right. The polishing is just to extend the life of the CV a bit. It is certainly not a requirement, but something that I do to every CV that I use for racing and thought I would pass along the info and offer the tool I use specifically for that job.

I have long thought about actually doing an axle assembly video as it is quite the process. Things like seal area prep, proper packing and CV clocking are all things I think could be useful, but I just haven't got around to it. I don't do assembly for customers because the finished product does not ship easily, and it also takes me roughly 6 hours to do a set of axles from start to finish. I usually am only doing the one set a year for PDG and the 25 hour race, and those are usually a "rush job" while trying to get everything else done for that race. If I get the chance I will make up a set early this year and do the video.

I, however, have never, and do not anticipate doing any GM CVs like the standard outer on the GTM as I switch everything over to Porsche 930 inner and outer joints to make the setup more easily repaired in the future. Shane's probably the best information source for those.
    Although I'm not there yet on my build, this type of information would be invaluable for a guy like me and I'm sure others. I welcome all the expert knowledge of guys like you that have perfected this process for newbie guys like me.