Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wrong door frame?

Post Thanks / Like

Wrong door frame?

Working on installing my door card. Cut out for the handle, but there is no frame member to attach to, it’s higher than the cut out. Looking at the manual different pages show 2 different types of frames for the door. How have others done it?D75651C5-FC06-4E44-8AF3-D43F607B875C.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I made a sheet metal bracket to mount my inner door handle. Just bolted it to the framework with riv nuts. Make your cutout big enuf to allow the handle escutcheon to snap into place but be careful, the margin of error is small. Cut/grind a little, then check fit, continue until escutcheon clips pass thru door card.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bolted the handle to an aluminum plate that was attached with standoffs to the door frame. If I recall, the standoffs were slightly different lengths between the two doors - you have to size them to fit.
    IMAG1867.jpgIMAG1868.jpgIMAG1869.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Of the two different door frames, one would be for a roadster, the other for the coupe. Not sure what images were used in the manual. The coupe frame has provisions for the window & regulator mechanisms. That's another story alltogether.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like I got sent the coupe doors2C78E42B-6F90-4EAD-B625-1B089F220F39.jpeg. Looking at the manual, both types of door frames are featured in the pictures. Bummer, spent so much time getting the driver door aligned with paint stick gaps and the door not scraping on the body, to have to take it off again to fabricate a part to connect the door handle to.