Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Registering in Maine vs Mass?

Cobra Doc
    Post Thanks / Like

Registering in Maine vs Mass?

Hey guys,
    I'm about to order my Complete kit, which I'm super excited about. Will start a build thread separately....

I currently live full time in Mass, which I know is a bit of a pain to get the car registered in. We also own a second home in Maine. Has anyone gone through the process in Maine who can chyme in on how easy/difficult that process was? My search of the DMV/RMV site makes it seem like it's super straight forward, but maybe I'm being naive.

Thanks,
    Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Easiest way is to register as an antique vehicle.
    Couple of forms and pics to get a VIN.
    Getting close to this myself.

HTH,

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Rob,

The process in Maine is fairly easy. I will say though that getting it registered as an antique vehicle may not fly as it did not in Kennebunk and they checked with Augusta DMV main office. What was interesting was that for the first year I was registered as a “custom vehicle” but then the second year a different rep told me it was setup wrong. I truly believe it will depend on where your register it and who is servicing you at the time. The rules say though if it is supposed to be registered base on the year of the car was built this not an antique.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

4. Thanks rsw81 thanked for this post
    Likes rsw81 liked this post
    Cobra Doc
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KDubU View Post
    Rob,

The process in Maine is fairly easy. I will say though that getting it registered as an antique vehicle may not fly as it did not in Kennebunk and they checked with Augusta DMV main office. What was interesting was that for the first year I was registered as a “custom vehicle” but then the second year a different rep told me it was setup wrong. I truly believe it will depend on where your register it and who is servicing you at the time. The rules say though if it is supposed to be registered base on the year of the car was built this not an antique.
    That is my understanding as well, that it is registered as a custom car, not an antique. But good to hear it's relatively easy in ME. The big issue in MA is the crate engine and getting it emissions exempt, which you have to buy an older car and have it crushed in order to get an exempt certificate. Any issue with this in ME? I'm planning a Coyote crate engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rsw81 View Post
    That is my understanding as well, that it is registered as a custom car, not an antique. But good to hear it's relatively easy in ME. The big issue in MA is the crate engine and getting it emissions exempt, which you have to buy an older car and have it crushed in order to get an exempt certificate. Any issue with this in ME? I'm planning a Coyote crate engine.
    No emissions test in ME that I am aware of.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

7. Thanks rsw81 thanked for this post
    Likes rsw81 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a coupe in my town with Antique plates and the lady at Scarborough DMV told me to do the same.
    The coupe was inittially registered as a normal plate, then changed it later on.

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't living in one state, but registering in another illegal?

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope not ...... I have cars registered in three different states!
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Cobra Doc
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    Isn't living in one state, but registering in another illegal?
    Not if you own property in those other states. Many people live in snow states, own property in warmer states (snow birds) where they live in the winter and have cars registered to the second home.

To be honest, I'd probably use ME to get it a VIN and then eventually move the plates to MA anyway.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    As it has been a while since I got my VIN in Maine. Some 22 years ago now... Getting closer to offically registering it as an antique!
    I had the copy of the title of the car I pulled the parts off. Before I installed the body a plain clothes State Trooper came to the house to inspect and collect numbers off parts. Then in a few days I had a Maine VIN and the same State Trooper cam by to install the plate on my car. It's registered as a 1997 Special with a VIN number of only 4 numbers! Which get's me a letter every year from the Insurance company that the VIN is too short! It seemed that as long as I had paper work for where I got the parts all was really easy. Just pay the fees to get it registered.
    Since then the car has been registered in NC twice with TX inbetween then back to TX!
    Ralph Button
    FFR 1436 (PROUD Owner of an Original Mark I)
    400,013 miles as of 11/1/2009
    417,840 miles as of 8/12/2010
    435,021 miles as of 12/19/2011
    Now a well broken in 347 engine
    523,145 miles as of 7/29/2014
    601,165 miles as of 6/1/2018
    615,215 miles as of 4/23/2022

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

"... Not all who wander are lost!... --J.R.R. Tolkien