Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Retirement Day!

Post Thanks / Like

Retirement Day!

This is my last day in the workforce after 42 yrs. Seems like forever ago that I was a brand new 2LT in the Army leaving home to seek my fortune and fame!! Lots of places, people, and miles since then for sure.

I'm looking forward to spending more time with my wife, grandkids, and of course my Mk4. Although I'm not very far down the path, I'm loving the build experience and now have the opportunity to ramp up my game. It will be the perfect retirement project I know.

I'd be remiss if I didn't acknowledge all of the friends, family, and mentors (and detractors) who have influenced me throughout my career. I also acknowledge the two friends who passed away this past year. One was 3 months from retirement and the other was 5 weeks into retirement. Both were sudden and unexpected and their passing gave me the resolve to retire now.

For all of you who are in, at, or close to retirement - congratulations. For those who are not yet there - get here as soon as you can! They say "retirement is the best job you can have."
    MK4 complete kit w/powder coated chassis, FFR power steering, 3-link solid Moser rear end w/ cast aluminum cover, low-back vintage racing seats, BluePrint 306 Carb, hydraulic clutch, CNC triple reservoir, Breeze radiator mounts and fan shroud, Metco drive loop, Derale PS cooler, CF dash.

2. Likes Jetfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Been in retirement for 10 yrs now, and I wonder now where I was able to find all those hours that I worked!
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the "Graduation" 2+ years now for me and it's great. Stay in shape and stay busy.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations and thanks for your service from a neighbor to the north in Canada. I hope you enjoy a long and healthy retirement!

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! I have been retired for 7 years now and it is the best time of my life. Though I am busy it is what I want to do vs what I have to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    If all goes well I hope to retire around 5 years from now.

I wish you the best in your retirement. Enjoy it as much as you can, we will never pass this way again.
    FFR6682 - received 7/30/08 - MK 3.1 complete kit, Forte built Ford Racing BOSS 427W(475HP/500lbs), TKO600, Power steering, Power Brakes, Hydraulic Clutch, VPM Front/Rear sway bars, Bump steer kit, SAI mod, 13"Front/11.65"Rear Mustang Cobra rotors w/calipers, NITTO NT05s - 255/40R17-Front, 315/35R17-rear,3.55 IRS.
    Visit my Blog: http://crawleyscobra.wordpress.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on the retirement. Also, sincere thanks for your service!

I hope you have a long and healthy retirement surrounded by those you care most about in the world!

I look forward to seeing your build progress; all the best.

Regards,

Steve

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations and welcome home Jeff. I agree, retirement is the best job -- wish I'd have done it earlier. I'm eight years into the best time of my life and still working everyday but now on fun stuff for me. Enjoy your build.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your service. Congratulations on your retirement and best of luck. Enjoy the build.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    First and foremost a heart felt thank you for your service, it's people like you that makes this country what it is, the greatest nation in the world.
    Enjoy the well deserved time off with the family and then the project.
    My bride tells me I can't retire, I need to have the funding to pay for my eccentricities
    Once again thanks for your service......party on

Post Thanks / Like
    RJD...your build looks remarkably similar to mine. Do you have a build thread?
    MK4 complete kit w/powder coated chassis, FFR power steering, 3-link solid Moser rear end w/ cast aluminum cover, low-back vintage racing seats, BluePrint 306 Carb, hydraulic clutch, CNC triple reservoir, Breeze radiator mounts and fan shroud, Metco drive loop, Derale PS cooler, CF dash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffhelms56 View Post
    RJD...your build looks remarkably similar to mine. Do you have a build thread?
    No, I've put a lot of pictures in my photo album with the intention to do a thread, but never got to it.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RJD View Post
    No, I've put a lot of pictures in my photo album with the intention to do a thread, but never got to it.
    I'll have to check them out. BTW...I was in the airline business for a while as well. PIT and LGA-based A-320 FO with US Airways. 9/11 cut that career short though. Went into civil service after that and never looked back. Looks like there are a lot of pilots on the board.

Best...Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Definition of retirement is a lifetime of put off projects you couldn't get to while employed. In other words, you still need to work.

Enjoy your time, you earned it!
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffhelms56 View Post
    I'll have to check them out. BTW...I was in the airline business for a while as well. PIT and LGA-based A-320 FO with US Airways. 9/11 cut that career short though. Went into civil service after that and never looked back. Looks like there are a lot of pilots on the board.

Best...Jeff
    Nice. I'm on the A-320 as well - fun airplane. Love the job, but it doesn't leave a lot of free time to work on the car.
    Last edited by RJD; 03-29-2019 at 10:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations and thank you for your service. I hope to follow you in about a year.

Best of luck, and enjoy

John
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your service! On behalf of those with HALF your time invested in their career:

RELAX AND ENJOY! Or big something amazing! Congrats again!
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations and thank you for your service. Enjoy your Cobra
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff,

From one Army vet to another, thank you and enjoy retirement. I'm a few years away and looking forward to joining the retired crowd, including my wife of 33 years; also an Army vet. By the way, I was one of those silly soldiers who thought it was fun to exit a perfectly good aircraft while it was still in the air. Air Assault!!!

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Enjoy it!
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations... I still remember my retirement day as though it were yesterday.... And only the other day I realized that on Aug 15 this year, I will have been retired longer than I served... 20 years Air Force. Hard to believe.... Enjoy every minute with family and cobra... Here's a toast for you!!!

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to everyone for the kind words. The day at work was pretty routine except it being the last one!!!
    Looking forward to sharing the build experience and developing new friendships.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats and thanks for your service.
    Ron