BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Paint Booth set up

Post Thanks / Like

Paint Booth set up

So I vaguely remember a post on here about using the houses attic fan for booth ventilation.
    My house does have a powerful attic fan. I am not sure if I want all the fumes in the house, any input on that?

I am either going to use the attic fan to create negative pressure and install furnace filters in the doorway going to the house, then take out the lower garage door section and install more furnace filters for a cross draw negative pressure booth

Another option would be to draw air from the house and make some type of fan shroud for my shop fan and also exhaust it through a removed garage door section with filters. This would also be negative pressure

Finally I could put a fan pushing air from the house exhausting through garage door. this would be a positive prate booth

Any comments on negative or positive pressure, or whether or not to such the solvent fumes through the house to usr attic fan

Post Thanks / Like
    DO NOT!!!!DRAW PAINT FUMES INTO THE HOUSE !!!!….and you don't have to take your roll up apart. Build a filter bank for your walk-in door to the house. Buy a tarp to cover your garage door opening and tack it up with firing strips. Now you can open the roll-up enough to cut in what you are using for exhaust. YOU CAN ONLY DRAW "X" AMOUNT OF AIR THROUGH THE WALK-IN DOOR SO A COUPLE OF 24" BOX FANS OR ONE 32" DRUM FAN (damn caps lock) should do the trick. You will just need to open enough windows or sliding glass doors to feed the garage. Positive pressure is great for infectious disease.....not so much for paint...da bAt

Post Thanks / Like
    2X J.Miller's comments.
    Seal your door between the house and garage. First car I ever painted (30 plus years ago), I didn't have enough exhaust fan CFM. Had a cape cod with an exhaust window fan on second floor. Weeks later I noticed red paint on the fan.

ALSO: Wet the floor before you paint, or you'll have a discolored floor. Ask me how I know!
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys!

And happy Bat day Miller!. That is a great point on opening doors and windows in the house, I would have overlooked that for sure.

Ducky, I had planed on papering the floor first (probably more to keep the dust out of my paint, because I need an excuse to put down another coat of epoxy on the garage floor anyway, lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Eagle whatever you do don’t spray in the house, your neighbors two blocks away will smell it but if you have to do it seal the garage with plastic or You can build a spray booth out of two x four and plastic sheeting made for painting, it’s called Clinger, it will draw the overspray to it, two box fans with cardboard ducting blowing across furnace filters will keep the air clean and two more filters in the other side for exhaust, after spraying a small propane heater blowing from the intake side will speed up the drying time.....it worked for me 20 years ago when I painted my mustang.,,,something like this...for the result you be the judge
    DA36706E-FB95-4ECD-99E6-61B417CE00FA.jpeg
    62CAC30A-83EA-45A5-9156-24654ACD70EC.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Who the hell would think pulling paint fumes through their house is a good idea?

7. Likes GT Trooper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I chose positive pressure and pulled from a side garage door / box fan with the far side garage door open 8-12". I attached a pic of my setup (fan up high / garage opening down low creating a slight downdraft / cross flow). I also made a conscious effort NOT to load the garage with overspray- a whole lot of reasons for this. Spray pattern, wait 2-3mins, spray cross pattern (zebra stripes) - 6-8oz at a time giving the fan time to work. If you can, paint outside/detached garage - aside from safety, it is SO messy. Also want to make sure you get all the evercoat-primer off the floor because the second you go to spray the rocker area, you'll kick it all up into your paint. Ducky2009 100% correct / coat the floor in water often (catches overspray / no sticky mess). My experience - a lot of patience and planning is tied up in a good paint job -but- its totally worth it when it all comes together.

If it helps, i documented my builds bodywork/paint at the attached youtube link. Check it out if you like & good luck with your paint job WarDamnEagle!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcPO3mo2sJU&t=2s
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Likes Straversi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great videos Tacojoe, I enjoyed them. You have guts painting black!
    BTW I love the wiring job

11. Thanks Tacojoe thanked for this post
    Likes Tacojoe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This obviously depends on the weather but here is an easy method. Get up before the sun to get everything set up. As soon as it's light out (this is when you have near zero wind) push the car out onto the grass. The dew on the grass keeps the dust down. Paint it. Push it back in.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't under estimate the need for air flow. Especially with your clear coat. I've been in garage's when painting with only one box fan and I couldn't see across the garage (2 car) due to all the clear haze in the air. Sticky eyelashes suck.

If you have room, you may also want to check out an inflatable paint booth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    This obviously depends on the weather but here is an easy method. Get up before the sun to get everything set up. As soon as it's light out (this is when you have near zero wind) push the car out onto the grass. The dew on the grass keeps the dust down. Paint it. Push it back in.
    The most important thing to remember when using this method is to wear your cowboy boots.

Well, that plus being sure that when you push it back in you don't get your hands in the wet clear coat.

Jeff

15. Likes Jetfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's been said already, but let me reiterate...

DO NOT DRAW PAINT FUMES INTO YOUR HOUSE.

You will be sleeping on slightly cobra colored sheets in a respirator if you do...

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been noticing the inflatable paint booths and that is what had me asking about positive pressure rather than negative.

I hear you on single box fan not being enough. From what I have seen on google searches it is recommended that you have 100 cfm for every square floor of booth space. I plan to wall off approx. 20x20 so that would be 40,0000 cfm. that sounds like a lot. Not sure I will get that high, but I will throw a couple large old furnace squirrel cage fans and an 18" industrial pedestal at it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WarDamnEagle View Post
    I hear you on single box fan not being enough. From what I have seen on google searches it is recommended that you have 100 cfm for every square floor of booth space. I plan to wall off approx. 20x20 so that would be 40,000 cfm. that sounds like a lot. Not sure I will get that high, but I will throw a couple large old furnace squirrel cage fans and an 18" industrial pedestal at it.
    That figure sounds kind of crazy---40,000 cfm for 20x20 with a 10 foot ceiling would mean that the air would change 10 times per minute! The squirrel cages will sure be better than the box fans. Make the most of it by allowing for as much incoming air as you can. The fan in my paint room will theoretically move 16,500 cfm but it's kind of a moot point because my incoming filtered air won't allow that much to flow through. Even at that it still evacuates well and I don't wind up with anything hanging in the air. My neighbor said he looked out when I was shooting clear about a week ago and it was rolling a cloud that looked like a trash fire (thankfully he's OK with it since he was spraying primer outside his shop a few days earlier)!

Good luck!

Jeff

jaypainted4.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    "My neighbor said he looked out when I was shooting clear about a week ago and it was rolling a cloud that looked like a trash fire (thankfully he's OK with it since he was spraying primer outside his shop a few days earlier)!"

Sounds about right cause all you paint is..... soooooo, how about your fan. I run twins of those for the water base but like you I choke the flow down by the size of the intake.