Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Roadster Elephant Ears Finish

Post Thanks / Like

Roadster Elephant Ears Finish

Trying to finalize my items for powder coat so that I can drop them off next week. Are the splash guards visible such that I need to powder coat them? If so, I assume that they will need coating on both sides.

Thanks...Jeff
    MK4 complete kit w/powder coated chassis, FFR power steering, 3-link solid Moser rear end w/ cast aluminum cover, low-back vintage racing seats, BluePrint 306 Carb, hydraulic clutch, CNC triple reservoir, Breeze radiator mounts and fan shroud, Metco drive loop, Derale PS cooler, CF dash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Highly recommend coating the wheel/tire side with undercoat. You'll hear every stone and pebble pinging off of them if you don't. Plus the dark color will make them less noticeable and a clean appearance to the wheel wells. As for the other side, you'll get different opinions. Some want all the bare aluminum coated. That's how I approach it. Others only what is "visible," and the back sides are similar to the rest of the underside of the car, e.g. not visible with the car sitting on the ground.
    Last edited by edwardb; 03-30-2019 at 01:18 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did mine with Bedliner. Only drawback of that seems to be that dirt sticks to it and doesn’t like washing off the rough bedliner surface.
    Not sure if undercoat is better?
    Last edited by Murd; 03-30-2019 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Typo.

Post Thanks / Like
    That’s what I needed to know. I’m going with the “visible” only approach.

Thanks Paul
    MK4 complete kit w/powder coated chassis, FFR power steering, 3-link solid Moser rear end w/ cast aluminum cover, low-back vintage racing seats, BluePrint 306 Carb, hydraulic clutch, CNC triple reservoir, Breeze radiator mounts and fan shroud, Metco drive loop, Derale PS cooler, CF dash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murd View Post
    Not sure if undercoat is better?
    Maybe someone who has used both can comment. I’ve read that the bed liner can be hard to keep clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used roll on bedliner paint, no problems in 19000 miles. I’ve only cleaned it a couple of times, you can barely see it unless you lay on the ground

John
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless the customer prefers otherwise I do the tire side of the splash panels with rubberized undercoating. Ya' know what? If it gets grungy all you do is break out the spray can and hit it again---viola---five minutes and it's all nice and black just like day one!

Jeff

8. Likes Dewey McBride liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    We've been using the rubberized under-coating for years and recently switched to this stuff.

flex_seal_black_liquid_rubber_spray by i.e.427, on Flickr

Sticks really well and seems a bit thicker than the under-coating.

10. Likes Dewey McBride liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used the same Hurculiner roll-on bedliner that I rolled on the underside of the body on the tire side and the same spray on stuff on the back side for both front and rear panels.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I should also add I had my front wheel splash guards powder coated the same as the rest of my panels and then put the bedliner only on the tire side.
    From inside the engine compartment the backside matches all the other panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Murd. I’m gonna go with PC on the back side of the front guards and rubberized undercoating on the rest. I wanted to make sure that all of my panels in the engine bay matched.

Post Thanks / Like
    DD with 10,000 miles on rattle can bed liner. Wears well & it it gets dinged a quick spray & its good as new.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffhelms56 View Post
    Thanks Murd. I’m gonna go with PC on the back side of the front guards and rubberized undercoating on the rest. I wanted to make sure that all of my panels in the engine bay matched.
    Get both side of those panels powder coated, just scuff up the side you are undercoating so it sticks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Get both side of those panels powder coated, just scuff up the side you are undercoating so it sticks.
    Just the front ones...right?

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn’t powder coat the rear’s, just rolled bedliner on both sides. If I did it again I might powder coat them black and just undercoat the tire side.
    I only said to powder coat both sides as it’s less confusing for the guy doing the powder coating, won’t cost anymore and I think it’s easier to stick to then the bare aluminum.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn’t powder coat the rear’s, just rolled bedliner on both sides. If I did it again I might powder coat them black and just undercoat the tire side.
    I only said to powder coat both sides as it’s less confusing for the guy doing the powder coating, won’t cost anymore and I think it’s easier to stick to then the bare aluminum.
    Thanks for the input. I’m inclined after all the feedback to PC both sides and undercoat the tire side of the guards.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Good info. I'm almost to this point!