BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: New guy from Wake Forest, NC

Post Thanks / Like

New guy from Wake Forest, NC

Hello everyone:

I probably should have taken the user name "four thumbs" or "clueless in Wake Forest" because my mechanical skills are probably the least advanced of any member of this forum. However, I love cars and building a Factory Five Car, or truck, really appeals to me. I am winding down my career and retirement is now visible over the horizon. I don't golf, so I need a different hobby. It is about time to get some skills and learn about building one of these cool vehicles.

Thanks for allowing me on board.

Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Will. I'm several years into retirement and 2 years ago I received my MK 4 complete kit. I also don't golf so I decided to build a roadster. Hopefully I'll have it on the road this year. You are in the right place to gather knowledge. I also attended the build school in July of '16, very worthwhile.
    JR
    Last edited by jrcuz; 04-01-2019 at 06:45 AM.
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome. I'm down in the Charleston SC area... If you every want to take a drive and see a build up close, feel free to reach out. Previous knowledge/skills is not what it takes to build one of these. Determination to learn, make mistakes, learn again, ask questions, etc, that is what it takes. You can go as fast or slow as needed as it is not a race. Always feel free to reach out to this forum as there are MANY people that are willing to help you. They may even help you spend your money so be careful....

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to where the inmates run the asylum!

You'll find lots of help here, so don't let your mechanical inexperience get in the way... you'll learn a lot of new skills building the car.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like

Build school

Quote Originally Posted by Albion78 View Post
    Hello everyone:

I probably should have taken the user name "four thumbs" or "clueless in Wake Forest" because my mechanical skills are probably the least advanced of any member of this forum. However, I love cars and building a Factory Five Car, or truck, really appeals to me. I am winding down my career and retirement is now visible over the horizon. I don't golf, so I need a different hobby. It is about time to get some skills and learn about building one of these cool vehicles.

Thanks for allowing me on board.

Will
    There is a build school and is run out of Michigan that you should probably explore. I have not participated yet but I hear it’s a very good school and will give you a very good idea of putting together a roadster. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum.Go for it! I started my build before I retired and I'm glade I did. I am no longer capable of building another car. Thing change fast when you get into your retirement age.Have fun and enjoy it. Roger
    Last edited by gtaroger; 03-31-2019 at 08:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the warm welcome. BadAsp427, thanks for the invite. I might take you up on that. I have reconnected with my best friend from High School and he lives in South Carolina. So, perhaps I could road trip down and see him and swing over to check out your car. My only issue this spring and summer is the fact that my father passed away in January and I'm frequently flying to Arizona to help close out his estate. But, by the fall, things should (hopefully) wrap up and slow down.

Thanks again,

Will

8. Likes BadAsp427 liked this post