Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Autocross experts chime in

Post Thanks / Like

Autocross experts chime in

Looking for help with autocross setup. I have a mk4 with a coyote, tko600, irs and Koni double adjustable shocks and sway bars on front and rear. Just finished my first autocross last weekend and the car is a handful to say the least. In the past I auto crossed a 1967 mustang and it was easy to drive compared to this cobra. If I am not careful with the throttle it wants to swap ends of which I did twice. So looking for ideas from experienced autocross people. Maybe ditch rear sway bar, different springs? I drive it 100 miles to the course so needs to be streetable. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure, start by backing off the rear bar. You'll probably find that it wants to push but give it a try and maybe it will work for your driving style and preference. One thing I know about these cars---it's a knife edge and you have to be very smooth on your inputs for brake, throttle and wheel. They don't want to be manhandled. I've found that once I had mine set up 1-2 pounds of front to rear air pressure was the difference between loose, neutral and plowing like a John Deere

Have fun!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I am very interested in this discussion. At my last autocross there were lots of fast sweepers that had the car pushing bad. For this weekends event I removed the front bar. I think it had more overall grip but the course was small with quick transitions that really pissed of the car! Like was said above, this car is on a knife edge. I feel like I'm either not pushing hard enough or way over driving! I must admit I've always been an aggressive, big input, driver so I am having a hard time with my challenge car. My challenge car is stiffly sprung (to me) with 400lb rear and 750lb front springs. This week I'm changing to 650lb front springs an might put the front bar back on. Also I think the battery needs to be moved to the front (Breeze). One other thing that might help is running with only a couple of gallons of gas. It seems like there is a pendulum effect with the rear of this car and once the rear weight starts swinging, the only choices are to slow way down or drift out on throttle (not really a time saver either but fun). I welcome any comments from those with experience as this is more than a little frustrating. It is a fun challenge though!

Post Thanks / Like
    Kleiner breifly touch on one thing I think is huge.......................Air pressure. Many are running way to much air pressure in their tires even for the street. If I remember right, he and I may disagree on spring rates as well. I prefer to let the suspension work a bit. With a solid rear axle I run 425* springs up front w/swaybar and 250* in the rear. The car seems to be really happy on the street and on the autocross course. One thing to consider is that (out here anyways) the autocross courses are not anything more than a parking lot coned off. So grip, is most times, NOT what it would be if on an actual track. So you may want to invest in some stickier tires. Again, as Kleiner pointed out, it's all about being smooth with your transitions. Good luck with your next outing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Smathersfish View Post
    ... My challenge car is stiffly sprung (to me) with 400lb rear and 750lb front springs. This week I'm changing to 650lb front springs an might put the front bar back on....
    Well....you'll probably wind up right back where you were with 750s in front and no bar. I run 750F/500R with 19-21 PSI in NT-01s and the car is quite neutral with just a touch of controllable oversteer that can be modulated with the pedal on the right---as long as you don't give it ham fisted inputs. I hate, HATE , HATE a car that pushes.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I like to know where my steady state cornering balance is so I have a point to work from. Find an empty paved lot and run in about a 200 foot circle under steady throttle until you find the grip limit. If you get your car neutral like this you can fine tune steady state with tire pressure and transitions with shock rebound. Without a reference point I find it hard to tune the car effectively.
    Mike............

FFR2100 - 331 with KB supercharger - T5 - 5 link rear 3.08's and T2 Torsen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsnake View Post

Looking for help with autocross setup. I have a mk4 with a coyote, tko600, irs and Koni double adjustable shocks and sway bars on front and rear.
    Is this the Thunderbird IRS or the new IRS?

The Mk4 Thunderbird IRS came from FFR with 500# front springs and 750# rears, and the autocross experience was exactly what you describe (maybe worse).

You couldn't really go lighter on the rear springs because you use all the suspension travel on launch, so I ended up running 750# rear + 650~750# front springs - much better balance.

So on your car - the rear bar definitely comes off, and maybe look at a spring change at a later date.

Since you have the double adjustable Konis - you might try stiffer settings on the fronts and softer settings on the rears.

You also should review this linked thread and pay special attention to the comment "You'll find that the car is more stable under power, even just light throttle" - that really can't be overstated.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...at-to-do-hints

8. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the cold beginning an end of the season I run lower pressures by 2-3#. As low as 16# in Hoosier A7s. As a tuning tool you may adjust pressures a few pounds but the optimum pressure can be determined by how far the tire rolls over. Three blobs (about 120 deg apart so there is always a couple easy to see) of white shoe polish at the edge of the tread and down slightly to the sidewall allow you to see exactly how far the tire is rolling. Look at how far the polish has been removed and compare to the small triangle molded into most tires.
    Tire triangle by craig stuard, on Flickr
    I encourage everyone to try lower pressures while watching the white polish. BTW new polish for every run.
    Best corner balance will change a bit nearly every event. Ambient temp, lot surface have a big effect. But here is another wrinkle. What type of turns does this course have? Quick transitions like slaloms and short 90 deg turns are faster w/ a little more understeer. Longer steady state turns are faster w/ a little less understeer/perfectly neutral. Which type is predominate today will affect how you adjust your car. As you get more serious about AX you will want more camber. Up to 3.5 deg negative front and 2.5 rear. Mike mentioned tuning transitions w/ shocks and I agree. I have DA QA1s and crank a ton of both bump and rebound into the front while just a couple clicks over street settings in the rear. This has really helped calm the rear down in slaloms and corner entry. If I am a bit too tight, I back off the front a click or two. I also run fairly soft springs in the rear. Basically to get power down I run the rear as soft as I can get away with. My 408 is a torque monster so even w/ 335 A7s on the rear, i have to ease the gas pedal down. I have experimented w/ rear springs from 300 to 500 in the IRS and settled on 350 at the beginning and end of the season and 400(as supplied by FFR) the rest of the time. I've had 800s in the front for several years but tried 700 end of last year. Unfortunately I only ran 1 AX because the last two had one raining steadily so I bailed and the other was canceled to resurface the lot. BTW, I have a Russ Thompson gas pedal and mechanical linkage and it is set up for longer than average travel which helps modulate the power. BTW 2. Try to get a friend to video your run. He needs to work at it. Forget the whole run. You want video showing the front of the car at the center of the longest corner he can get to so you can judge how much the car rolls. And you want a side view of a heavy brake application to see how much it dives. Seeing these is why I have 800 front springs and a Forte 1inch front bar. BTW3. Seat time is your best friend. At the beginning it happens so fast it is difficult to stay ahead of what is happening. I have had several people ride w/ me who afterwards said something like, 's--t, I had no idea how fast it happens.' One key to a fast run is always thinking ahead at least two turns. The line you use for the first turn is determined by how you need to enter the next turn. It is very often a compromise. If the two turns are at different speeds fudge your compromise to favor the faster turn. AX is just like any other new thing. At first it is near overwhelming but it just gets better and better.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post

As you get more serious about AX you will want more camber. Up to 3.5 deg negative front and 2.5 rear.

My 408 is a torque monster so even w/ 335 A7s on the rear, i have to ease the gas pedal down.

Not really disagreeing - just "things I think about".

I started off with 1.5 deg negative all the way around.

Over the years I've gone closer and closer to "zero" in back - on thinking that the F1 guys get a lot more research and development time than I do...

Also, I'm sprung a lot stiffer than Craig (and different IRS, etc), and I'm running 200tw (NT05), not 335 A7s.

But I'd be interested in Craig's 335 A7 (rear) thoughts on this picture (I know - it's autocross, not F1 - lol):

DSC100209631.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Well....you'll probably wind up right back where you were with 750s in front and no bar. I run 750F/500R with 19-21 PSI in NT-01s and the car is quite neutral with just a touch of controllable oversteer that can be modulated with the pedal on the right---as long as you don't give it ham fisted inputs. I hate, HATE , HATE a car that pushes.

Jeff
    Will give less air a try, did not know you could drop it that far, currently 22/23psi Is that also OK on the street as a DD. Run 245 or 255 NITTO 555R front & 315 NITTO 555R Rear 24/7/365. No bars. Also found local parking lot events can run the whole track in 2nd. Do you think 3rd would be better. Have a COYOTE & softened the FBW throttle reaction. Goal was to smooth throttle inputs as much as possible.

EDIT FWIW the club put me in XP because of the tires so its just a fun thing not a trophy hunt.
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 04-01-2019 at 10:05 AM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
    Will give less air a try, did not know you could drop it that far, currently 22/23psi Is that also OK on the street as a DD. Run 245 or 255 NITTO 555R front & 315 NITTO 555R Rear 24/7/365. No bars. Also found local parking lot events can run the whole track in 2nd. Do you think 3rd would be better. Have a COYOTE & softened the FBW throttle reaction. Goal was to smooth throttle inputs as much as possible.

EDIT FWIW the club put me in XP because of the tires so its just a fun thing not a trophy hunt.
    With the drag radials lower pressure may not be better. Honestly, because of their soft sidewalls you're kind of fighting a losing battle when trying to autocross on drag radials---the tread sticks but the sides squirm so there is a delay between your wheel inputs and the time it takes for the sidewalls to move and take a set. I drove a friend's roadster on DRs and it actually got better with more pressure but all of the steering responses were still "lazy" because the soft sidewalls laid over. Not ideal...

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm three years in, so definitely still a rookie when it comes to AutoX. I started out with what seemed a ton of over steer. I'm just the opposite of Kleiner, my goal was to induce slight under steer. I am just not quick enough or good enough to handle the snap spins these car can do. It seemed like the very minute I tried to push the envelope a little I would spin. I have a 3.1 w/IRS. Came with 500lb front and 750lb rear coils. I installed front and rear sway bars. After a series of changes and adjustments I got the car where I was comfortable with it on the course. I ended with 650 lb springs in front, 750 in rear. Front sway bar set to firmest and disconnected the rear sway bar. I run 2* neg camber front and 1* neg camber rear. 1/8 toe in front and back and 6* caster. I have power steering with a Heidts valve and run full assist. All 4 konis or set to 2nd firmest rebound. I run 4" front ride height and 4.25" rear ride height. I run 20 PSI front and 18 PSI rear. The car is consistent now and I modulate the slight push with the throttle. Once again, this is what works for me right now.
    Last edited by Crawleyscobra; 04-01-2019 at 01:00 PM.
    FFR6682 - received 7/30/08 - MK 3.1 complete kit, Forte built Ford Racing BOSS 427W(475HP/500lbs), TKO600, Power steering, Power Brakes, Hydraulic Clutch, VPM Front/Rear sway bars, Bump steer kit, SAI mod, 13"Front/11.65"Rear Mustang Cobra rotors w/calipers, NITTO NT05s - 255/40R17-Front, 315/35R17-rear,3.55 IRS.
    Visit my Blog: http://crawleyscobra.wordpress.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike I started out w/ just -1.5 camber in the rear. Figured w/ the 335s maybe laying the tire over more would hurt straight line traction and maybe not help cornering. 1/2 through last summer I was looser than I wanted but couldn't soften the rear any more. Decided I would try camber. If I didn't try it, I would never know right? Went to -2.5 in the rear and that immediately tightened the car up nicely. The car sucks so badly at off the line tration that i didn't notice any difference there so it will stay at -2.5 and maybe go to -3.0. Around the DC area I can run AXs nearly 3 of 4 weekends but we are moving next weekend to an area w/ much less AX available. So not sure how much I will be doing this summer. My A7s are 1.5 yrs old so time to replace them but I am holding off on that expense to see what is available. About a month ago I checked 'My Auto Events' and not much showed up. Hopefully, now that it is April more clubs will have their calender's out.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like

Figured w/ the 335s maybe laying the tire over more would hurt straight line traction and maybe not help cornering.

The car sucks so badly at off the line traction that i didn't notice any difference there so it will stay at -2.5 and maybe go to -3.0.

Very interesting / similar thinking / good to know.

I felt like I was getting more out of zero camber rear on braking - less tail happy braking.

If I ever get my 0-60 times repeatable I will do some testing on acceleration (550ftlbs torque on 200TW tires - I'm not holding my breath, lol).
    Last edited by mike223; 04-01-2019 at 02:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be following this thread as well...
    Everything I've read/heard about these cars is "smooth is key"... they don't like to be man-handled and will slap yer azz if you do.

Not to hijack, but you guys should try shoving a 4500lb. 55 year old cinder-block around the track... wanna talk about going azz-1st when you hit the limit?
    lrg-1603-_emm5338.jpg IMG_9604.jpg
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Listen to Kleiner before you listen to me. With that being said.

My first bit of advice is don't get on the adjustment train with the exception of air pressure after one event. I am on Nitto NT05s and run 23psi all around based on sidewall markings. I use sidewalk chalk. You might be surprised at how fast the pressure goes up on just one run. If you are on drag radials.....good luck with that.

Smatterfish,
    You want the battery in the back in my opinion. You need to keep those rear tires loaded. If these cars needed weight in the front, they wouldn't have put the engine half way into the firewall. I agree with the lower gas level because it sloshes a bit. I target 5 gallons.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all for the comments on this thread. I now have a lot to think about! Maybe I need a notebook for tuning!

Really, it's probably the driver that needs the most tuning/modifications. I told myself I would not fall into car adjustment to try to fix driver issues but, here we are!

Any of you Carolina folks going to be at the upcoming Michelin Proving grounds or Zmax events? I would love to pick your brain so I could add to my confusion!

Post Thanks / Like

and the car is quite neutral with just a touch of controllable oversteer that can be modulated with the pedal on the right---as long as you don't give it ham fisted inputs.

At the beginning it happens so fast it is difficult to stay ahead of what is happening. I have had several people ride w/ me who afterwards said something like, 's--t, I had no idea how fast it happens.'

At first it is near overwhelming but it just gets better and better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawleyscobra View Post

The car is consistent now and I modulate the slight push with the throttle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smathersfish View Post

Really, it's probably the driver that needs the most tuning/modifications. I told myself I would not fall into car adjustment to try to fix driver issues but, here we are!

I would love to pick your brain so I could add to my confusion!
    And there we go.

Get the car "neutral" enough to learn to transition it, back + forth - from understeer to oversteer, back to understeer... - with the throttle pedal (gently - like less than 3/4" movements of the throttle pedal, both leading + trailing throttle).

Safely - on autocross courses.

The learning curve is steep.

It's kept me amused for years - I may never master all of it (I kind of hope I never do)....

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are amazing! Lots to think about but number one will be to work on the nut behind the wheel. I know the car could use more negative camber up front as I am only at -.75 but I am going to leave it alone until I get a few more sessions in.
    You guys are correct, driving a cobra is on the knifes edge. Exciting for sure. Keep the ideas coming as this is a great thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, at last nights autocross, I forgot air. It was 40 degrees and my tires were at 20lbs. I have been running 23F and 22R. I decided to leave them @ 20. The car was much more manageable with the lower pressure! Also practiced using part throttle. This seemed to keep the car more balanced. This was my first night autocross. It was interesting trying to bleed air out of the tires after a run in the dark holding my phone light over the gauge! The course was well lit but grid was dark. I am starting to understand the quirks of manipulating this beast.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been a few months of autocrossing the mk4 and I have a few observations. I removed the rear sway bar and the snap oversteer was gone. Did a couple of events and and then the big change was the alignment. Went from -.5 degrees camber in front and rear to -2 in the front and -1 in the rear. Also changed the front toe to zero. All I can say is wow. Car is balanced on controllable as long as you respect the throttle. Seems like a whole new car and I am in the middle of the pack instead of the rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsnake View Post
    It's been a few months of autocrossing the mk4 and I have a few observations. I removed the rear sway bar and the snap oversteer was gone. Did a couple of events and and then the big change was the alignment. Went from -.5 degrees camber in front and rear to -2 in the front and -1 in the rear. Also changed the front toe to zero. All I can say is wow. Car is balanced on controllable as long as you respect the throttle. Seems like a whole new car and I am in the middle of the pack instead of the rear.
    I tend to agree that at the beginning just drive the car and learn but, how long is that 'beginning'? I think you did exactly the right things to your FFR. After all, if you don't try something, how will you know what it will do? Now grab yourself a small notebook to keep setup notes in. I enter camber, springs, shock settings, tire pressure, ambient temp. I make a note of the result. If I adjust something at the AX, that gets noted along w/ the result. Get one of the small binders that you can't move pages in- it keeps me honest. Next start adjusting shocks. I have QA1 DA shocks and have street and autocross settings. For the AX, I increase the rears slightly, and increase the fronts a bunch. After you do this a while you will also find you can use them to alter handling balance. Different courses (tighter course needs looser car), different surface, and different weather (colder reduces grip and makes mine looser) affect overall grip, which affects balance. Also pay attention to where you are making handling judgements. Slaloms need a tighter car. A course w/ a bunch of steady state turns needs a well balanced car. You may end up w/ a perfect balance for some of the course and have to live w/, and drive around, imperfection for some turns. In addition to the plain driving fun, figuring all this stuff out is a blast. I can't agree w/ Mike223 more when he said "It's kept me amused for years - I may never master all of it (I kind of hope I never do)...."

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to agree that at the beginning just drive the car and learn but, how long is that 'beginning'? I think you did exactly the right things to your FFR. After all, if you don't try something, how will you know what it will do? Now grab yourself a small notebook to keep setup notes in. I enter camber, springs, shock settings, tire pressure, ambient temp. I make a note of the result.
    Not to disagree with setup - anything you can do that makes the car easier to manage is good - just offering a different angle:

The single quickest autocross learning aid is a trusted co-driver who's learning the car with you.

Competing against each other - and riding along on each other's runs.

Comparing notes + thoughts on how to approach "challenging" areas of the course, and notes + thoughts on how to improve the car (setup).

And reviewing in car video - use it.

Because each driver is going to have strengths + weaknesses on different course elements.

Learning and adopting each other's strengths (and ditching weak areas) is the fastest way to learn.

Especially in these cars - where "driver input" completely makes or breaks you.

Post Thanks / Like
    ...I can't agree w/ Mike223 more when he said "It's kept me amused for years - I may never master all of it ..."
    When I instruct novices I tell them it's like golf---a golfer finishes 18 holes and thinks "I couldn't have hit that tee shot on #9 any better, but couldn't have screwed up the putt on #12 any worse". We finish up a run and think "I couldn't have done that right hand sweeper any better, and couldn't have screwed up that backstretch slalom any worse". It's that elusive perfect round/run that we're after. I have a group of guys I run with who have been chasing it for 35 years

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

It's that elusive perfect round/run that we're after. I have a group of guys I run with who have been chasing it for 35 years

Exactly - if I ever walk away thinking the car didn't have another full second in it...

I'd have to find a new challenge...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike223 View Post
    Exactly - if I ever walk away thinking the car didn't have another full second in it...

Not ever going to happen Mike...not for you...not for me...not for Clemens Berger...not for Jeff Kiesel...

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Not ever going to happen Mike...not for you...not for me...not for Clemens Berger...not for Jeff Kiesel...

Jeff

It probably all ends about like the Bishop's epic game in Caddyshack.

Maybe we should have stuck with tequila + the judge's niece...

29. Likes WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we should have stuck with tequila + the judge's niece...
    Ah, Lacy... Don't get that started again! Miller and I worked her and Wendy Peffercorn for about 10 pages of posts a couple of years ago

Jeff

31. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, Lacy... Don't get that started again! Miller and I worked her and Wendy Peffercorn for about 10 pages of posts a couple of years ago

Jeff
    lol - I found a few angles with your golf analogy - not certain I can work a lifeguard in too...

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff, love the golf analogy as I am a golfer and a high school golf coach. It's so true and it's what keeps us coming back for more, time and time again. I have been watching my in car video and can pick out the mistakes and the places I could pick up time. Just going to take more practice but at least the car is performing at the level I want at this time. Will need better tires down the road as the Nitto nt05's are not competitive but that's way down the road.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, you never get it all. Don't you love when you have a run that feels like you absolutely nailed it, only to be 3/10ths slower?

Our groups night event is this weekend. I've got my Mad Max lights installed. They are going to have sound restrictions for the first time, and my car is very loud. I've got wire mesh and stainless pot scrubbers on standby for the pipes if I need to shave a couple DB.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post

Yeah, you never get it all. Don't you love when you have a run that feels like you absolutely nailed it, only to be 3/10ths slower?
    It can be priceless if I can make it look anything like this doing it.

Hanging pylon in background - while clearly under control - well on the way to the next gate = GOOOOAAAALLLL!!!!! (even if it's a slower run + you picked up a pylon penalty)

Dragonsnake-sideways-700x455.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post

They are going to have sound restrictions for the first time, and my car is very loud. I've got wire mesh and stainless pot scrubbers on standby for the pipes if I need to shave a couple DB.
    Is this because it's a night event, or is it for all future events?
    Last edited by mike223; 08-07-2019 at 08:44 AM.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'll be attempting my 1st autocross in a couple of weeks (Dark Side MK-4) with my pal Mr. Phil riding shotgun.
    My goal is to simply learn how to drive the car so pray for me because I have no idea what the heck I'll be doing.
    Remember That Drag Racers Don't Like Turning Except When Entering The Staging Lanes Or Exiting The Track!

NOTE:._If anybody is looking for an excellent vintage car to race, Phil is selling his White TOJ next week.
    ............This car is totally restored and sorted so it is ready to go.
    ............It has NOT been raced since the restoration.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/252...?category=list

Phi's Black & Gold TOJ 206, shown in the videos below, is nearly identical except this chassis is not anodized nor does it sport the extra rear support bracketry.

https://youtu.be/zm2RdZ-FJmA
    https://youtu.be/uFm3CM8_Zf8
    https://youtu.be/JhR21Q24xHU
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-07-2019 at 01:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this because it's a night event, or is it for all future events?
    Just for the night event.......for now.

They are building a small neighborhood right on the airport boundary where we run. So I am sure noise restrictions are coming.