BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: 33 Hot Rod Small Block Chevy Headers question.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like

33 Hot Rod Small Block Chevy Headers question.

I have a customer interested in building a 33 with a SBC 350. Anyone build one of these? If so what headers did you use? Also did you have to fab up to the FFR exhaust? FFR only offers Ford and LS header/manifold options. Thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jonny @ blue print can advise real quick. We used one of their 383s at the build school
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 350 SBC in mine, and have the Summit Racing headers suggested by FFR in the SBC installation instructions "Shorty headers – Summit Racing SUM-G9005 or Flowtech 11102". Pretty sure it fits up with the regular exhaust.

Instructions: https://www.factoryfive.com/wp-conte...ment-rev-D.pdf
    Ryan
    33 Hot Rod
    350 SBC with TKO 500, 3 link rear

4. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rychi1 View Post
    I have a 350 SBC in mine, and have the Summit Racing headers suggested by FFR in the SBC installation instructions "Shorty headers – Summit Racing SUM-G9005 or Flowtech 11102". Pretty sure it fits up with the regular exhaust.

Instructions: https://www.factoryfive.com/wp-conte...ment-rev-D.pdf
    Yep- FFR has exhaust that work with the headers suggested.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ditto, I have the Summit shorty headers on SBC in my 33' and fit very well. Got them on a Sale/discount and then ceramic coated them for less than $200. Came out very nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys! That points me in the right direction for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your next question might be regarding the oil pan. I know with the small block windsor you have to get a rear sump (or sometimes called double sump) pan. Not sure if there are similar options for a SBC and how they interact with the electric power steering (no room for an engine power steering option).
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes, I have the power steer option and there is direct interference with stock pan. F5 told me to enlongate Two of the mount holes to allow the motor to CLOCK further down. I did not like the idea of doing this But it worked. About 1/4" clock with a file gave me about 1/2" clearance at pan/motor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I had to reclock the P/S before on an LS3 Hot Rod I did awhile back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well, Now I have an issue I did not see coming. Went to install Reg NGK spark plugs today and there is no way I will be able to get plug wires on..... I remember using Accell "shorty" plugs on a header install years ago, is this my only/best option? Are these plugs available from other manufactures? I am using Brodix 180 aluminum heads but I don't think they should be any different from stock iron heads....

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Exhaust clearance on these cars is extremely limited, starting with the headers and continuing through the chassis. Not a problem if your building a low powered ride -- the FFR suggested headers and exhaust supplied in the kit will work for most. However, if you're using a heavy breathing high performance engine and building a car with an enclosed engine compartment you're in trouble. You just can't get an adequate sized exhaust system in this chassis and that is a serious design miss. Engines now days are easily making twice that of the highest performance muscle cars of the 60's and you can buy that power in a crate engine with a warranty.

I needed a much larger header than will fit in the FFR chassis and had to build my own based on flow calculations for my combo. But had I wanted an enclosed engine bay that would have been a real challenge. I have equal length primaries at a tuned length and 3.5" collectors also at a tuned length dumping into fabricated low restriction mufflers for the street. This is what my engine needed for the RPM range it runs at on the track with appropriately sized collector extensions. There was no way to fit this system in the original chassis but if you need more than the unequal length smallish headers and exhaust system suggested by FFR and you're willing to get creative you can custom make something that will work. Don't rule out the custom approach if needed.

attachment.jpg
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the FFR recommended headers. My 33 was a very early version and the 350 was already in place so I had two make the headers fit. I could not get the FFR exhaust to fit nor could I get the header collectors to clear the firewall on the passenger side. At the end of the day I put in a custom exhaust with dual rear exit. We modified the collectors by turning them straight down and inward. The resulting system will never make Hot Rod Magazine's performance articles but the system cleared the frame and hooks up well. I used v-band flanges and can drop either side of the exhaust with three bolts. Bill Ondo who originally bought the kit had welded up a really cool set of roomies that exited under the frame rails in the front. It just would not clear speed bumps, my driveway and a myriad of other things so I finally threw them away. Would love your setup NAZ but I have a ton invested in the side skirts now. It would be nice to be able to change the headers our and drop the exhaust and use them as an alternative configuration.

2016-06-02 15.18.33.jpg2016-06-02 15.19.23.jpg2016-06-02 15.15.57.jpg2016-06-03 10.20.15.jpg2016-06-03 14.05.33.jpgExhaust Zoomies-3.jpgExhaust Zoomies-8.jpgExhaust Zoomies-9.jpg

Last edited by wrp; 04-02-2019 at 07:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    One issue I ran into with the JEGs headers was the quality. They were rough on the exhaust/head side and between them and my antique heads it was hard to get a solid flush mounting without exhaust leaks. I took a long 2x4 and glued sandpaper to it then sanded the heads at the exhaust ports and the headers. Actually worked pretty good, Exhaust leaks have not been an issue.

Headers-15.jpgHeaders-16.jpgHeaders-17.jpgHeaders-18.jpgHeaders-19.jpgHeaders-22.jpgIMG_1368.jpgIMG_1371.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a series of shots of the roomies, damned I loved them, there were eight Harley Davidson Motorcycle mufflers, one in each tube. Sounded like four hogs coming down the street.

Headers-2.jpgHeaders-4.jpgHeaders-5.jpgHeaders-6.jpgHeaders-7.jpgHeaders-8.jpg

Lets hear those exhaust clips

Post Thanks / Like
    I got 3 inch oval- custom - inside of frame. It was a lot of work, but fun. IMG_8394.JPGIMG_8400.JPG

17. Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wish I had your welding skills