FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gaskets or RTV on Exhaust Headers

Post Thanks / Like

Gaskets or RTV on Exhaust Headers

What are people using on exhaust headers between head and headers? I have the FelPro 1415 gaskets for my AFR 185 head exhaust side. The port matching is good for the head side but the four into 4 header side is pretty poor. Thinking I might just use Copper RTV and no gasket. What say the jury?

Post Thanks / Like
    The port match is pretty bad. I haven't used a gasket in years, only high temp silicone.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Gasket, no RTV.
    Sreve

Post Thanks / Like
    Because my engine needed custom header flanges, I use this stuff- https://www.summitracing.com/parts/php-67006/overview/ and cut my own gaskets. The headers have been off and on twice and no leaks!
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    I used copper RTV with the gasket
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I blew out one of the provided gaskets after only a handfull of miles.
    Decided to give (Remflex 3028 Exhaust Gasket for Ford V8 Engine) a try after reading lots of mustang guys liking them.
    Not enough miles (2k) to know if they'll stand the test of time, but so far so good.
    2016 MK4 | '99 Explorer 5.0 | E303&600cfm carb | T5z + 3.55 | 3-link | SN95 | PB/PS | FR500 17" 315&275 |

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL. There were four possible answers to this question and I got all four in the first four posts. . I’m going with Bob on this one for ease of installation. I guess a fifth answer is to use nothing at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Copper RTV, every gasket I've used eventually failed.

9. Thanks Derald Rice thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also have a header flange to head port mismatch. On the advice of Bob (above), I did just the Copper RTV and NO gasket. I have 800 miles since that install 2 years ago. No problems so far. On a side note, I used the 4 into 4 gasket for the side pipes (cut out the little star in the middle) and no RTV. Again, so far no leaks.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Percy's. Stage 8 bolts. No issues in 17+ years. No leaks, and, they can be reused.
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    I quit using header gaskets years ago. One warning, make sure your flanges are actually flat. Mine needed some work. I used a large flat file moving diagonally so I got marks on the high spots. Then a powered sander to work the spots down. Then back to the file diagonally in the opposite direction from before. A few cycles later they were flat. On mine the ports are a bit smaller than the holes in the flange but offset some. The two gaskets I have tried felpro and Percy's, were both too narrow overall so (I think it was) the bottom only had about 1/8 inch of gasket in use and that is where it always blew out. Using the copper rtv I have the complete header flange sealing to the head.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Remflex gaskets since new, going on eight years and not an issue. Percy split-locks for bolts, also still hanging in there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Copper RTV. I have two studs that I use for alignment. That way you don't smear your RTV around. They have slots cut in them for removal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto on the Remflex, P/N 3083 for AFR heads, port dimensions are 1.38" x 1.40"...use these on my AFR 185 heads, fit is better than any others I have tried. Can buy sheet material and cut your own for the 4 into 4 flange
    Mk IV, 347 AFR heads, WC T5, Solid Axle 3.73

Post Thanks / Like
    Ask 28 people and get 28 answers.

For the header, I use remflex gaskets with a thin coating of copper rtv on both sides . Even if remflex says not to use any rtv.

Copper rtv with no gaskets on the side pipe flange.
    MK2 #3319.... On the road since 2002 with a lot of upgrades

Post Thanks / Like
    I used Copper RTV, also used ARP studs instead of bolts for the headers.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint