Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Windsheld Support arms not parallel

Post Thanks / Like

Windsheld Support arms not parallel

please see posts at "lexan windsheild question" thread

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...hield-question

I have the fast freddies kit, and have re checked my measurements with the windsheild off. Wondering if anyone else has done the measurement of the windsheild support arms. I measured the inside and outside level surfaces with laser devices used for wheel alignments. apparently the two that i have are not parallel and i believe that they should be. The edge at the top of the arm does or did not alingn up correctly and dont understand why this would happen as they are connected to the frame.

Before I mount the Lexan windsheild, I want to verify whats wrong here so that I dont have another cracked windsheild..
    Last edited by mcwho; 04-01-2019 at 10:41 AM.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would be very surprised if the frame mounting plates were parallel. Off just even a tiny bit at the bottom will equate to a rather large difference 1 1/2 feet later. You can find out if the plates are parallel using some steel or aluminum bar. Or you can skip the test and gently bend and/or twist the chrome-plated brass windshield arms to get them where you want them. Make all bends & twists below the body level using rags to keep the chrome from getting scratched up.

Though the lexan won't crack it's best to minimize any preload stress.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313