Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gas tank vent--up or down?

Post Thanks / Like

Gas tank vent--up or down?

Just curious...one part of the assembly manual says to tie the hose from the gas tank vent down another part of the manual says to tie it up under the upper trunk floor. Which way should it go...down to drip on the ground or up to vent?
    I appreciate your help,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with the Kleiner charcoal filter addition and have the vent holes facing down and away from the rear tire.

Gas Tank Vent.jpg
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree, you want to make a charcoal filter or your garage will get smelly. I mounted mine more vertically with a short outlet hose down as far as the bottom of the bodywork. Mounting style is just a personal convenience method to access it to change the charcoal, I use fishtank stuff from the pet store.

Hose loops up then down into the filter.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Take the vent hose up toward one side of the car (diagonally, typically toward passenger side), and then (diagonally) down toward the other side of the car.

Otherwise the vent will spew gas during hard cornering - such as autocross - the vent check valve will not prevent spewing gas in this situation.

I've had to reroute vent tubes on several different cars due to this problem.