Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Ordered FF 15" wheels - would like help finding threads of mods for the spinner ....

Post Thanks / Like

Ordered FF 15" wheels - would like help finding threads of mods for the spinner ....

I ordered my 15" wheels on Friday to complete my 5 lug conversion.
    For the life of me, I can't find the thread that discussed many options to get the threaded insert to stay in place while threading on the spinner.
    I remeber something about a pool floatie behind the insert and also drilling to accomodate a set screw etc...
    I don't want to ask the same question that has been asked over and over, but I can't find the thread that discussed this.
    Any links? Thanks!
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, pool noddle cut and then inserted into the back of the hub holds it in place while you thread on the spinner. Remember to add anti-seize to the threads or you'll be sorry.

3. Thanks mburger thanked for this post
    Likes mburger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm trying something new on #9365... jury is still out.

I goobered up the thread insert where it meets the wheel with a liberal bead of clear silicone... slid it in place, and spun the knock-off on hand tight (plus a fist thump). Let it set up for a few days.
    I've had the knock-off on & off various wheels a few times, and the thread hub hasn't moved.
    My thought is that if the thread hub needs to come out, just stepping on the end will break it loose from the wheel. Yeah, there'll be some cleanup of the silicone, but there won't be bugger'd threads or the (scary) need to drill the wheel for a set-screw.

(x2 on a light smear of anti-seize on the threads.)

Time will Tell.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I'm shying away from drilling into new wheels...
    I may try that silicone approach and as you say, it's just some claenup of silicone if needed. Anti-seeze is a must and I'm all over that. Still open to the pool noodle option as well.
    Last edited by mburger; 04-01-2019 at 06:28 PM.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did silicone for a while. I have to take my spinners off once a month for autocross. It didn't hold up for repeated on offs.

I wasn't a fan of drilling the wheels either. I drilled the spinner hub for three set screws. I can't remember who's idea it was, but it works great.

Look at the last post from Dale here:
    https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...allations.html

7. Thanks mburger thanked for this post