Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: UNDERCOATING---recommendation please!

Post Thanks / Like

Question UNDERCOATING---recommendation please!

Well...I tried Rust-o-leum "Professional" undercoating: "splash, thin, watery, watery' to quote a shampoo comercial (if you are old enough to remember). So...what do you guys use? Especially in the wheelwells and elephant ears.
    Appreciate your comments,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Look at Herculiner or Duplicolor roll-on bed liner. I used Herculiner and like the finished product, but it stinks really bad when using it so be sure to work in a well ventilated area. The Duplicolor product is very similar from what I've read, but doesn't come with the odor. These cure to a very hard, but flexible and durable finish. They can be rolled or brushed. Others have used more of a traditional rubberized undercoating, but I couldn't offer any experience with those.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Any roll on bed liner, like Herculiner, is the easiest because no spraying is necessary.
    A nicer, more durable solution is U-Pol Raptor which can be tinted if desired.
    Good Luck From The Dark Dart Side & I Hope This Video Helps:

https://youtu.be/saw4S1wxF8Q

Post Thanks / Like
    I chose to use Rustoleum Truck Bed Liner to coat the panels that were exposed to the elements, and in the passenger compartment. It doesn't stick to the "as supplied" panels, you have to rough 'em up a bit - but two coats puts a nice finish to it.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    I found this video on YouTube that I found interesting on spray on bed liner.

https://youtu.be/NWFIwJUSo6c

Post Thanks / Like
    The body shop I'm going with recommended this:

53886D27-672E-4D07-AD58-6731FFAD4559.png
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Second time this week I'm recommending this stuff.

flex_seal_black_liquid_rubber_spray by i.e.427, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Thanks GoDad

Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Any roll on bed liner, like Herculiner, is the easiest because no spraying is necessary.
    A nicer, more durable solution is U-Pol Raptor which can be tinted if desired.
    Good Luck From The Dark Dart Side & I Hope This Video Helps:

https://youtu.be/saw4S1wxF8Q
    Looks good, and noy to $$

Post Thanks / Like
    3M Rubberized Undercoat is what I use. Bed Liner is great stuff....unless you need to do a repair. Grinding Bed Liner off is a hateful job and toxic as all get out (and if "I'M" pissing about being toxic you know it has to be bad). It's better to undercoat after paint so you don't have overspray on it...da Bat

10. Thanks GWL thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by i.e.427 View Post
    Second time this week I'm recommending this stuff.

flex_seal_black_liquid_rubber_spray by i.e.427, on Flickr

FRANK !!! THERE IS NOTHING ON THAT CAN THAT SAYS "COBRA REPLICA"......how dare you!....HOW DARE YOU !!!!!.....maybe you should contact them and have them add it to the label….then I would be comfortable using it...da Bat...……………………… I WAS WRONG !!!! We fall under he "and so much more". Makes sense, cause, we are SO MUCH MORE !!!!
    Last edited by j.miller; 04-04-2019 at 05:49 AM.

12. Likes GoDadGo, i.e.427 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    How many cans of spray on liner or rubberized coating is needed? And for those recommending under coating after paint, don't you worry about scratching the paint job?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by egchewy79 View Post
    How many cans of spray on liner or rubberized coating is needed? And for those recommending under coating after paint, don't you worry about scratching the paint job?
    any how much roll on liner (herculiner) do you need to complete the underbody job?

Post Thanks / Like
    I used just over 2 gallons of Duplicolor bed liner total to undercoat the body and all road-facing panels.

If you use Duplicolor, don't bother with the bed liner kit; just get the gallon of goop. The kit includes a tiny pour out tray, and a roller that doesn't really work. You're better off with a box of 79 cent chip brushes.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    two quick questions:

1. do you recommend applying bedliner to the entire underside, or just the wheel wells?
    2. what kind of prep should be done on the underside of the body before application? (I'm wondering how much sanding can/should be done)
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    two quick questions:

1. do you recommend applying bedliner to the entire underside, or just the wheel wells?
    2. what kind of prep should be done on the underside of the body before application? (I'm wondering how much sanding can/should be done)
    Al,
    If you're going to do this please call me first so that we can save both of us (well, mostly me ) some grief.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I applied about 3/4 of a gallon of Duplicolor bed liner under the whole body. I just put one basic coat on all surfaces, and then put 3 nice heavy thick coats inside the wheelwells. Took a long time for the heavy coats to fully cure.
    For prep, I just washed it good with soap and water, scuffed any smooth spots with a wire brush on an electric drill... cleaned it with a rag and some no-name wax remover (or was it thinner? don't recall now), and then spread it with a cheap 2" disposable brush from HomeDepot. The kit roller is a waste of time/money for trying to spread under the body.
    2016 MK4 | '99 Explorer 5.0 | E303&600cfm carb | T5z + 3.55 | 3-link | SN95 | PB/PS | FR500 17" 315&275 |

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
    3M Rubberized Undercoat is what I use. Bed Liner is great stuff....unless you need to do a repair. Grinding Bed Liner off is a hateful job and toxic as all get out (and if "I'M" pissing about being toxic you know it has to be bad). It's better to undercoat after paint so you don't have overspray on it...da Bat
    Bat, Is this what you use? How many cans do I need?

Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Profession...gateway&sr=8-3

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bluse View Post
    Bat, Is this what you use? How many cans do I need?

Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Profession...gateway&sr=8-3
    It is not what I use ….my stuff comes in quart cans and uses a special application gun (because I do it all the time). What you are showing is a great product and 6 cans should do the wheel wells and engine compartment . I don't do the whole body because it is a waste. The thought that some guys have about seeing through the body is incorrect. You only need to do what can be seen when car is together plus wheel wells. Bed liner is bed liner made for "Lining Beds" not undercoating a body. I know a lot of guys do it and I don't want to start a whizzing match but if you ever got on the other end where you have to deal with it in a repair situation you would understand. Second thought I would get the case . That will give you enough to thicken up the wheel wells and do the aluminum splash gaurds if you so desire. Cheers...da Bat

21. Likes Jon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, a follow up to doing the undercoating. Here are a couple of "after" photos. I used the Dupli-color Bed Armor DIY kit. Jeff recommended it because it cleans up with soap and water. My comments: cleanup was a non-issue. I used two 2 inch brushes - one for each coat. They were trashed by the end of it, so I threw them out. The roller they provide in the kit is a waste of time. The brush does a better job. (that was an editorial comment. Your experience may vary.)

I tried to avoid the edges (by Jeff Kleiner's request). I think it came out OK. It took the better part of the afternoon: wash the underside, sand the underside (I used 40 grit sandpaper), blow it all off with compressed air, paint, let it dry for an hour, 2nd coat, let it dry for 2 hours, done. I'll recommend the Dupli-color option.

Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

23. Thanks Railroad thanked for this post