Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  194
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do on your roadster today?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I started knocking the seams on the body on the Mark III Body. Not too bad. I also reworked the trunk to make it fit.
    I ground a little off the long bolt sleeve of the both pairs of rear body bolts. I spent a few hours grounding till I got the trunk to fit just right.
    I also cut the hood scoop out of the hood. It was 1" off and tilted back towards the passanger side. Laid some resin and matt to build up one side and cut the other. Now working on the stepped reveal on the inside. I am tired, but making good progress.
    Last edited by donpny; 02-26-2011 at 06:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the power brake booster in.
    Steve K
    FFR 3906

Post Thanks / Like
    I disassembled my donor motor down to the short block. Tomorrow I am plan to take it down to the block so I can have it built into a 347.
    Aaron

Holley 650 DP / Performer RPM Intake / Twisted Wedge Heads / 347 ci / TKO500 / 3.73 rear gears

Post Thanks / Like
    sorted my panels out after they came back from powder coating

Post Thanks / Like
    Started my FE engine build.

Got the block up on the engine stand and did some deburring and prep.
    Step #1 of 200 ...
    Mk 3.1 - FFR6671 - "Trying" to recreate a Semi-Comp 427...
    427ci FE Big-Block / Pin-Drive IRS / TKO600 / Smiths Gauges / SC Dash / 15" Goodyear Billboards
    Fabrication (the fun stuff): 427 Throttle Pedal (SS) : AC Pedals on Wilwood Arms : CSX E-Brake Lever : CSX-Style Footbox Vents (SS) : CSX-Style Dash Support Tubes & Recessed Dash : CSX-Style F-Panels : Firewall Forward 4" : "Full" Rear Drop : Recessed Bulkhead & Exposed Rollbar ... hopefully the list continues!

Post Thanks / Like
    Removed the F5 supplied gas pedal and had it welded. Installed a liner in the radiator intake cavity.

Gave Up on Build+Sold Car Brandovibe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jacked up the rear end to put some brake lines in, car fell off the jack before i could get the stands in because my buddy fell into it, the bar acorss the bottom of the three link hit the jack and is way bent out of shape.

Post Thanks / Like
    Changed my rockers to Pro magmum and set to 1/4 turn tight

Post Thanks / Like
    Got my front end aligned w/the newly installed 20:1 FR manual rack after gutting the donor PS rack and associated crapola. No more pump whine! Turns like a cat on carpet- After six years and 15K miles I've had all three types of steering in this car; de-powered manual, PS, and now true manual, I can tell you that I feel true manual is meant to be in the roadster.

Thanks,
    Will
    FFR MK III picked up 9/24/05 Roller 9/28/05 First start & go-cart 11/28/05 red w/white stripes, PC Chassis, heat/defrost, FFR 15's, pwr footbox vents, radio delete, dual quad 427W, 4 link w/3.27's, Koni's all around, Gen 1 rag top, snapless tonneau, Herb's door panels, NRC rear discs, Breeze head rest, ********** emblems, Paint by Gino's in Rowley, MA
    2011 ffcars.com calendar Cover Car Yes, that's me in the avatar with Dave Smith in front of my roadster at the '06 FFR Open House!

Post Thanks / Like
    Pulled my carb for some more work on it, it almost landed in the trash can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just had to put in two more aircraft switch covers to round out the group. Also replacing alternator tonight and re-installing passenger harness that the ball bearing had fallen out of. Simpson sent me a replacement for free. Chrome alternator went out in 3400 miles. Going with standard 2000 Mustang 130 amp one this time. Much cheaper and am more concerned about go than show getting ready for autocrossing season that starts in 3 weeks. Also finalizing prep for drivers school at Summit Point in two weeks so will also do alignment this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Replaced all the body mounting bolts. The guy who finished the car before I bought it had three different types of bolts, now they are one. Also removed the side pipes for ceramic coating. Original owner had them in white, I'm getting silver/chrome. In a few weeks the wheels get switched from ET Spoke wheels to Halibrand style wheels. Gotta move my battery form under the car ........... I have an MKI and that's where they put it back then. Gonna put it in the trunk with the cutoff switch, give a bit of security. Anybody know if they make a gizmo to hold up the trunk lid? I can't seem to find one on any of the Cobra parts sites.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patpur View Post
    Replaced all the body mounting bolts. The guy who finished the car before I bought it had three different types of bolts, now they are one. Also removed the side pipes for ceramic coating. Original owner had them in white, I'm getting silver/chrome. In a few weeks the wheels get switched from ET Spoke wheels to Halibrand style wheels. Gotta move my battery form under the car ........... I have an MKI and that's where they put it back then. Gonna put it in the trunk with the cutoff switch, give a bit of security. Anybody know if they make a gizmo to hold up the trunk lid? I can't seem to find one on any of the Cobra parts sites.
    Here ya go!

********** sells the original-style trunk prop rod:
    http://www.**********accessories.com...roducts_id=170

And Breeze sells a more simplistic type of trunk rod:
    http://www.breezeautomotive.com/details.php?prod_id=662
    Mk 3.1 - FFR6671 - "Trying" to recreate a Semi-Comp 427...
    427ci FE Big-Block / Pin-Drive IRS / TKO600 / Smiths Gauges / SC Dash / 15" Goodyear Billboards
    Fabrication (the fun stuff): 427 Throttle Pedal (SS) : AC Pedals on Wilwood Arms : CSX E-Brake Lever : CSX-Style Footbox Vents (SS) : CSX-Style Dash Support Tubes & Recessed Dash : CSX-Style F-Panels : Firewall Forward 4" : "Full" Rear Drop : Recessed Bulkhead & Exposed Rollbar ... hopefully the list continues!

Post Thanks / Like
    Got my TKO600 delivered by UPS, now it sits....all alone, waiting for its engine

Post Thanks / Like
    Block sanded for hours, paint in 2-3 weeks.

...master of none. CapeCoralCobra's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Drove it down to the "Burrowing Owl Festival," big turnout. Its great how these cars turn grown men - 30's, 40's,...70's - into young boys, if only for a moment or two, when you drive by; pointing, smiling, waving, thumbs up signs... I smile and wave back, everytime thinking yeah, I used to do that, too.
    Last edited by CapeCoralCobra; 02-27-2011 at 04:46 PM.
    Alan, Mk 3.1 #7172, 308, GT40P heads, Crane roller rockers, TFS Stage 1 cam, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, Pro M 75mm MAF, March pulleys, Cobra spec T5, 3.73 8.8, Konis all around, 15" FFR Halibrands, Viper Red/Pure White Stripes.
    "There's nothing you can't do, only stuff you haven't done yet!" Randy Jones

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    had mine picked up on a flatbed and taken to the bodyshop

Post Thanks / Like
    I "married" a TKO and a Coyote. A match made in heaven!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info Fifty - Two - yesterday my pipes got dropped off at the Ceramic Coater who was nice enough to meet me in Northern Virginia. I should be back on the road in a week or two!

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not going to happen today, but before my MKII gets back out onto the street this spring, I will have coated my Street Performer seats with Duplicolor black fabric paint. After 12,000 miles of exposure, the seats' upholstery is turning to the familiar purplish color in an objectionable (to me) way. This treatment should restore them to black permanently. I am figuring on one can of spray paint for each of the seats. We'll see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glued the vinyl on my dash. Now, let it stick.

Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    A few days ago I converted to rear disk brakes. Yesterday I switched from 2.73 gears to 3.55. Today I'm switching to a black speedometer gear and trying to fab up some DIY anti-moan brackets.
    Proudly Driving: FFR MKIII #5392, '89 donor, 306 EFI, T-5
    GT40P-Heads, 3-link, 8.8 / 3.55 Rear, 4 Wheel Disk Power Brakes,
    17" Halibrands, 4X4 Headers, Koni Shocks

Post Thanks / Like
    Opened the crate the rearend came in the first part of my build .

Post Thanks / Like
    I finally got really schooled on Ford alternators. Just because they look the same means nothing! So now I know that a true one wire alternator is one that only has two wires to itself and one from the alternator and not one that has to tie to a wiring harness. Now The Patriot is back on the street, charging at 13.5 volts, and ready for track time next week! WooHoo!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am spending the day carefully removing the "Manufactured by ****** American" plaques form my car. Wonder if the guy who owned it before me had any idea of the history of these two companies? One of the plaques is two way taped to the dash board. That is the one I'm scared of. I have Goo Be Gone soaked behind it and I'll try a piece of dental floss to separate it. There are two others, one in the trunk the other in the engine compartment. Those are gone and the areas polished.
    Also removed my bright yellow seatbelts and harnesses. They will be replaced with a nice new black Simpson set. Soon as I get them and my side pipes back from the ceramic coater I'll be back on the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    I started laying out the Coyote wiring harnes and decided that the main harness was to long so I cut 18" out of it - good idea? - I think so. What the heck, I can always spend twice the time putting the 18" back in!

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished under door carpet / aligned trunk and installed trunck seal. Need to install backup light next

Post Thanks / Like
    New dash put in, re-located the battery.
    FFR 4298 Mk III, 5.0, Dual Quads, 3.73 Gears, B303 cam, Pin Drive Vintage Wheels and way too much to list here!
    "It's loud, smells like gasoline, and shakes, shudders, and bucks. It makes your arms tired and your feet hot. You nearly crash about once every ten minutes. It's so damn wonderful you can’t believe it."

Post Thanks / Like
    Made a template for the radiator nose aluminum yesterday. Now that I've had a cup of coffee, going out to cut the template into a piece of aluminum flashing.

Update: flashing fit perfect but it is to thin for permanent use. Anyone know of a place in Jacksonville Fl to get some .025 aluminum sheeting? Tried HD and Lowe's, no luck.
    Last edited by 03SC; 03-06-2011 at 08:10 AM.
    MK3.1 Base Kit non-donor
    Levy Stage 5.5 408W, Levy Super Alloy Plus T-5, Levy DA shocks, Wilwood 6/4, Levy Comp Bump Steer
    Levy Billet Front LCA's, Levy Custom headers/sidepipes, Levy narrowed rearend, SAI mod, Northracecars 17" Team III wheels.
    Build pics:
    http://s239.photobucket.com/home/03SC

Post Thanks / Like
    Checked all fluids and changed oil, weather still is not OK to drive

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sprayed the first coat of primer on the doors, trunk lid and scoop.

Primer 003a.jpg
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    Got my block back from shop. Washed it down yesterday in the sunshine and oiled it up. Today I checked the main bearing clearances, checked the ring gaps, and installed B cam.
    Roadster Mk3 5294, 302 Comp XE276HR cam, AFR 185 heads, 650 Quick fuel carb, Air Gap intake, T-5 3.55 gear Levy Upper & Lower Front and Rear control arms Purch Jan 2008 Tagged Mar 2012 Best ET 12.14 @113** SOLD 4/8/18 **
    YouTube Videos: Current performance - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7c...86xO3U4l4RtVMQ Older build - http://www.youtube.com/user/joeembery#p/u My Pics:
    http://s207.photobucket.com/user/Joe...?sort=6&page=1

Post Thanks / Like
    Moved it from one garage to another so I could change the oil in my other vehicles.

Raining...not good driving weather...yet.
    Dan

FFR 6459, Basque Red Pearl, Silver Sky Metallic, 408W, TKO-500, Power by ISIS, IRS, PS, PB, 15" Pin-Drive, Loads of Extras, Loads of Fun
    Delivered Jan 08 - Graduation May 09

Build Pictures
    http://s325.photobucket.com/albums/k...bra%20Project/

Post Thanks / Like
    waiting for my RAM HDX clutch to get to my house via UPS. 6 more months tell Im home!!! Seems like a life time

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Block sanding.

And it feels like I'll be doing that for a while.
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    Bled the brake lines using a vacuum bleeder first. Then waited till my Wife got home , finishing with the old pump up and hold , open -close repeat. Got a nice firm brake pedal!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Replaced my bright yellow belts and harnesses with a brand new set of Black Simpson's. Pipes are still at the Ceramic Coaters, are being sand blasted today, hoping to get them back by next week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cut and bent the aluminum for the rear under-car diffusers.
    FFR MkII, bought 2004, first on the road 2005, wrecked, beaten, man-handled, cut up, butchered, sat on by HOOTERS girls, still barely street legal!

Mostly a track car now, but seen on the street on occasion!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just looked at it longingly while working on the "indy14" Mk4. Warm weather, auto-x and track days will be here soon though!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to replace my intake manifold today.
    F5R1006211RD, Blue Granite Metallic with Titan Silver Stripes by Jeff Miller (Batman)
    4.6 SOHC, 3.73 R&P, 3 Link W/Koni's, 17x9 Cobra R's with 255 45zr 17 BFG Tires, Champ Pan

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast