Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Fuel cap orientation

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel cap orientation

What is the fuel cap orientation for an original ac cobra?

I saw in the instructions that they had it kind of canted so the hinge was about 45 degrees off of facing foreword. My fuel cap doesn’t touch the body when it is open and facing any direction. I was going to have the hinge forward until I saw that.
    Mk4 ordered 1/3/18, IRS, Coyote, T56 Magnum

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Packer fan View Post
    What is the fuel cap orientation for an original ac cobra?

I saw in the instructions that they had it kind of canted so the hinge was about 45 degrees off of facing foreword. My fuel cap doesn’t touch the body when it is open and facing any direction. I was going to have the hinge forward until I saw that.
    The very first COBRA as sold by Sothebys for $2M+ was latch at 6:00 o'clock. That said since they were hand built you can find the latch all around the clock. Put mine at 5:00 o'clock to keep it out of the way of the fuel nozzle & opens over the low part of the bodywork.

Expect the cap can be installed any way a person is happy with & still be "Correct".

Note: On my build was not trying to be correct so a lot of things I did can make some people unhappy. Still get the daily "Is it real?" question.
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 04-04-2019 at 12:05 PM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember, while owning a '68 TR-250, there was a recall on the gas cap. I got a LeMans style cap and instructions said to orient the hinge at 6:00 or 9:00 to avoid opening from potential front end impact. Location of the gas tank and cap, in that car, was similar to the original Cobras.

George

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks,
    I was just wondering.
    The rest of the car isn’t exactly original either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I asked this same question about 7 years ago, the general concensis (and most of the guys in my club) oriented it @ about 5:00.
    This works great for me, but there was this one guy's uncle that had his oriented...............
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm gonna apply the aviation idea (and most cars) and put the hinge forward. That way if I leave it up, it will close with air movement. My F150 fuel door closes right at 55mph.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    That way if I leave it up, it will close with air movement.
    I've never come close to accidently leaving mine up. You have to replace the internal twisting cap first, latching the LeMans Cap is the fun part!
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are a few pictures I took today of original CSX Cobras at the Cobra Experience in Martinez California (SF Bay Area).

If any Cobra enthusiasts are in the SF Bay area they should visit this museum. They do an excellent job showing the cars. Only caveat is that they're only open I think the third Sunday of every month.
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

9. Likes Higgybulin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MPTech View Post
    I asked this same question about 7 years ago, the general concensis (and most of the guys in my club) oriented it @ about 5:00.
    And I remember answering one the same way I did today, several years ago.

George

Post Thanks / Like
    It does seem to be another Cobra "no two are the same" thing. It probably falls under the same line as when Carroll was asked what the "correct" number of hood scoop rivets was. He answered "It depends on how drunk we got the night before".
    My latch is at 5.

Post Thanks / Like
    This works great for me, but there was this one guy's uncle that had his oriented...............
    Yep, Mark that's how I did mine, so you are 100% correct..........

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ditto On Five O'Clock Orientation!

Besides, It Helps Me To Remember That It Is Always Five O'Clock Somewhere!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never come close to accidently leaving mine up. You have to replace the internal twisting cap first, latching the LeMans Cap is the fun part!
    Yeah, pretty sure I never would either, but I after 35 years around airplanes, it just seems right to me.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    That way if I leave it up, it will close with air movement.
    I hate that when I leave it up...then the Check Engine light comes on

John

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no idea if this is what OG Cobra orientation was, but I did hinge forward, latch aft. Just looks better that way. To me. And after all, it's all about me.

Note: There is a drain hole in the LeMans cap assembly. I took the two pieces apart and rotated the parts so that the drain hole was at the low point.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by boat737; 04-05-2019 at 06:47 PM.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for the dumb question, but the clock orientation that everyone is referencing is relative to what? Where's 12 0'clock? Is it from the viewpoint of standing next to the car about to fill up? So hinge forward and latch aft would be 3 o'clock? Or do I have totally wrong?
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Sorry for the dumb question, but the clock orientation that everyone is referencing is relative to what? Where's 12 0'clock? Is it from the viewpoint of standing next to the car about to fill up? So hinge forward and latch aft would be 3 o'clock? Or do I have totally wrong?
    Where is 12 o'clock when you're driving?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    Where is 12 o'clock when you're driving?
    I'm not driving when I'm filling up.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not driving when I'm filling up.
    Then, is it daylight savings at fill up? In Hawaii there is no daylight savings.

Sorry, just had to...
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

21. Likes JohnK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It’s 5 O’ clock somewhere.

But not while I’m driving!

23. Likes JohnK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ever hear "I got your six?" 12 o'clock in the nose of the car.

5 o'clock
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 04-05-2019 at 10:43 AM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

25. Thanks JohnK thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
    Ever hear "I got your six?" 12 o'clock in the nose of the car.
    See?! I knew it was a dumb question. I never disappoint in this regard. Thanks, everyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Automotive references are done as the driver seated in the car. Left / right and clock positions. If you wear a digital watch, we can't help you.

Whenever my wife an I discuss anything with reference points, we are always off. She'll draw some diagram and I'll have to stop her and ask "where is the front". It is NEVER where I would have drawn it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    Automotive references are done as the driver seated in the car. Left / right and clock positions. If you wear a digital watch, we can't help you.

Whenever my wife an I discuss anything with reference points, we are always off. She'll draw some diagram and I'll have to stop her and ask "where is the front". It is NEVER where I would have drawn it.
    Back in the day when you traveled with a Rand McNally for direction, my sister would always turn the map so the direction they where driving was straight a head. The only time the map was correct was if they where headed North. Bout drove me nuts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Lets recall what the original purpose of the "racing gas cap" was: to allow the fast refueling of the car from a "jerry can". Generally this meant a 5 gallon fuel tank was placed on the right shoulder, the left hand would press the latch to release the cap and the right hand guided the nozzle into the opening. When completed the left hand closed the cap while the right hand carried the empty gas can back over the pit wall. Now of course a lefty would reverse this and thus would orient the cap in the opposite direction. Standing at the side of the car on the passenger side would require that the cap NOT have the hinge at the 6 o'clock (latch at 12) or you cannot go over the open and upright cap with the can spout. Latch to the rear allows the left hand to easily open the latch. So from many pit stops I think a 9 o'clock latch and a 3 o'clock hinge, although any small variance makes no difference. And besides when was the last time any of us has had to refuel in a hurry from a jerry can?Gascan.jpgGascan.jpgGascan.jpg
    Last edited by Desert Cobra; 04-05-2019 at 05:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn't the picture show the hinge at 9 o'clock and latch at 3? So that the the cap clears away from the side of the car for easiest refuleing access? Anyways, this is how did mine for this exact reason! Seemed most logical
    Tim
    FFR MkIV #7393 - LS3, TR6060, 8.8" - Registered 2015 - Painted 2019
    HSV Clubsport R8
    Kwaka ZX-14R

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It seems our o'clocks are all taken from a different perspective, or on clocks that have stopped. Besides you are on the bottom of the world. Even sinks and toilets flush in the wrong direction down under. Have a VB on me. PS: Love your country.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone seen these caps reproduced?

Patrick