Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: BF Goodrich riva s tire wear

Post Thanks / Like

BF Goodrich riva s tire wear

Given the few choices of tires for my Halibrand 18 FFR wheels, I installed the Rival S tires all around. Built using the 2015 Mustang IRS from FFR.

7000 miles later and the rear tires are in need of replacement. I seldom spin my tires, but given the chance accelerate hard. Our roads here in Western Maine are for crap I might add.

At $361 each, I am pretty much forced to buy another set, given the front tires are in excellent condition.

Looking for comments on tread life of the Rival S tires.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same tires, rims and IRS, but only 500 miles. Probably too early to notice any significant wear.
    Do you have a good alignment? Did they wear evenly? 7000 miles might be a little short. I would expect closer to 10,000, but there are a lot of factors involved in tire wear. I have to intentionally try, to get mine to spin on good road surface. They have very good traction. If I remember correctly, the tread wear rating is 200. That is probably as low as you want for street cruising, IMO.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    I honestly don't think you're too far out of line. Reality is that a 200 treadwear tire isn't going to be long lived (truth be told BFG is stretching the truth calling them 200 to begin with and only doing that so that they can run them in street tire classes that require 200 or higher). I currently run 100 treadwear and get less than 5,000 miles per set! When I ran Kumho XS they were used up before 10,000.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    The rears are worn more than the fronts..........What could possibly cause that???? Seriously, even hard acceleration increases wear over just cruising around.

I run NT05s (200TW) on 17s. 10k is it for tread, but 8k is where the grip starts to drop off. I'm due for a set and on my 4th or 5th "one more event" this weekend. Socially distanced autocross.

If they made the Rival S in the sizes I need, I would be all over it. Like Jeff said, "200" is often optimistic. I keep thinking about those NT01s.....more sticky.......more better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Get a Prius, tires will last you for years.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

Post Thanks / Like
    I can see the Rivals wearing out pretty fast

I race a car in the Champcar endurance series. I ran the rivals once but they couldn't last a 8 hr race. They used to be a good 200 treadwear tire, but they changed the compound and now they are much too soft for endurance racing. We switched to the Hankook RS4 (another 200 tread wear tire) and can now get three 8 hr races out of one set. Lap times aren't different enough to worry about.
    Factory Five Type-65 Coupe:"Race Spec" coupe, Ordered 1/12, picked-up 5/12, roller 5/12, first start 10/12, finished 4/13
    Factory Five Roadster: Sold 12/2011.
    http://www.25tires.com

7. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Loved the comment on switching to a Prius. And yes they did wear evenly. Now when I stop to think that here in Maine our driving season is shorter than I would like, the 7000 miles on those tires was spread out over three seasons. That makes the $360 a tire not too bad. Will be mounting up the new set tomorrow. Will put 150 pounds of weight in the drivers side when the alignment is performed. All that being said, this car has fully met my expectations of a bad *** street car.

Rick in Maine

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post

truth be told BFG is stretching the truth calling them 200 to begin with and only doing that so that they can run them in street tire classes that require 200 or higher
    I got to closely monitor a new set of Rivals on a Lotus Elise next to my new NT05s during a couple of autocrosses last year.

Less like "stretching the truth", more like "200TW??? LMAO"...

Quote Originally Posted by rickscobra View Post

the 7000 miles on those tires was spread out over three seasons. That makes the $360 a tire not too bad.
    Any performance tire you go over three years on is way past it's prime.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am of the opinion that the rival s tires are extremely sticky. I now have 2900 miles on mine and continue to pick up quiet a bit of road debris. The pinging noise from stones hitting the underside is the first thing passengers comment on when given a ride. I have insulated my wheel wells as much as practical with minimal success.

Anyone care to comment?
    Last edited by ThickCobra; 06-10-2020 at 07:24 AM.
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    The Rival compound appeared to me to be nearly as tacky as a Hoosier A7.

This was throughout the day on a summer autocross - but I did not have an A7 car handy to monitor side by side, I was mostly just evaluating my new NT05s against the Rivals.

My NT05s only noticeably throw gravel after a staging (drag race) type burnout - for a very limited time.

P.S. Anybody else ever notice that you can't drive the supercar line/apex in an autocross - because all the Miatas and such keep all the gravel + debris thrown off the Miata line/apex?

(and there aren't enough supercars running to keep that line/apex asphalt clean)

So you have to drive the Miata line or you're off in the gravel/tire debris thrown by all the other cars
    Last edited by mike223; 06-10-2020 at 07:33 AM. Reason: P.S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ThickCobra View Post
    I am of the opinion that the rival s tires are extremely sticky. I now have 2900 miles on mine and continue to pick up quiet a bit of road debris. The pinging noise from stones hitting the underside is the first thing passengers comment on when given a ride.

Anyone care to comment?
    Sure Jay, switch to a set of BF Goodrich Radial T/A. They’re like Teflon; nothing sticks to them and they don’t stick to anything

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    My PS2's are 200 treadwear, and even though they say 10,000 miles, the dealer said since they cannot be rotated to the front, their wear is only 5000. So at 7000, you have gotten more life than the 200 was made for.
    Complete Kit, Gen 2 Coyote w/Gen 3 Intake, and 3.55 IRS.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Rival S is the hot autocross tire right now along with RE-71Rs. I think BFG is aware of that. So it is pretty much an autocross compound, which would definitely not be an endurance compound.

Stones pinging under the car...........because race car. Why would you want to stop that?

Mike, If I am slinging gravel, it is because I made a mistake. My group has a lot of Camaros, Porsches, M-cars, etc. So maybe I just don't notice because we have a lot of high HP cars. You certainly never want to make the course even an inch longer by running wide in autocross.

Jeff,
    If you put on BFG T/As your horsepower goes up. "I can spin the tires in the first four gears!" Right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post

So maybe I just don't notice because we have a lot of high HP cars. You certainly never want to make the course even an inch longer by running wide in autocross.
    It may be that I'm wanting to take the wrong line.

I do not think the proper line / approach / apex for every autocross corner is necessarily exactly the same for our cars as it is for a 1600cc Miata - perhaps that's an error on my part.

But I definitely have found myself on courses where I had to run the Miata line because it was the only line that was clean - especially toward the end of a large run group.

Just food for thought and discussion.