Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: First 100 miles logged

Post Thanks / Like

First 100 miles logged

I have turned over the first 100 miles in my Roadster. #9196 was built by TexasAviator and is now being finished by me. Some thoughts:

1) Everyone loves seeing the Cobra out there. Waves from people walking the dog, guys stopping what they are doing to watch me drive by, 18 wheelers hitting the air horns at lights, its amazing what a gel coat car can do for some people.

2) First gas stop had 3 guys come over and start asking the questions.

3) I've been driving in neighborhoods for the first 25 miles, so I've been setting off car alarms all over town. Can't wait to go to the Fashion Mall and set off all the Beemers.

4) I'm using the Fitech EFI and must have the Hanging Idle problem. There are a few Youtube videos about how to tune it, so hopefully that is gone tomorrow.

5) First inspection for Title on Friday, wish me luck!!

Rob
    Factory Five Racing Roadster MKIV -- #9196 -- 347ci, 475 HP, 5 Speed, Plymouth Prowler Orange Metallic

2. Likes Dewey McBride, Yama-Bro, ydousurf liked this post

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well done ... and it has just begun! Expect the same questions at each gas stop and be patient with each person as it's their first time to ask you about the car!
    But the smiles, thumbs up and waves makes it all worth it!
    And it a chance to meet new people that you never would have spoken to normally!
    Ralph Button
    FFR 1436 (PROUD Owner of an Original Mark I)
    400,013 miles as of 11/1/2009
    417,840 miles as of 8/12/2010
    435,021 miles as of 12/19/2011
    Now a well broken in 347 engine
    523,145 miles as of 7/29/2014
    601,165 miles as of 6/1/2018
    615,215 miles as of 4/23/2022

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

"... Not all who wander are lost!... --J.R.R. Tolkien

4. Thanks Todd Buttrick thanked for this post
    Likes RAMRobAZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck on Friday. My first ride was 900+ miles on Route 66 through several storms. The entire ride was Thumbs up, Cameras, Engine Rev's, Trucker Horns and everyone wanted to talk whenever I stopped. Time of my life.

It'll only get better. Don't get annoyed with the "Is it real?" question. That'll happen every time you take it out. The public really loves these cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, there are a lot of real Shelby’s in Phoenix, so people ask all the time. Especially at Cars and Coffee.
    Factory Five Racing Roadster MKIV -- #9196 -- 347ci, 475 HP, 5 Speed, Plymouth Prowler Orange Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    #4) an hour ago I just picked up another coolant temp sensor for my fitech because I have the same idle problem.
    When I got to the part store, I plugged in my fitech handheld to the throttle body and it showed more than a 30* difference (colder) from my water temp gauge. I haven't installed it yet (although i almost did in the parking lot until i fortunately remembered the"system under pressure" nugget of knowledge) but i think that will solve my high idle situation. Check yours too.20190404_123002.jpgAttachment 105033
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DadofThree; 04-04-2019 at 01:21 PM.
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Just tried the coolant sensor. They seem to match at 190 degrees.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DadofThree View Post
    #4) ... i fortunately remembered the"system under pressure" nugget of knowledge...
    Good thing you did. My cousin made the mistake of popping open his radiator cap after driving to a family picnic once. He spent the entire day with his hand in a cooler of ice water. That was an ugly & grievous injury.

And congratulations Rob. I just turned 600 miles myself.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    The Fitech Forum owner seems to think its a throttle cable sticking problem. The cable does have to make 2 S turns to get to the drivers side of the carb. Maybe I should rotate the carb 180 degrees to let the cable have a smoother radius?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes absolutely rotate the Fitech 180 degrees.
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just remember when you rotate, there's only 1 fuel return port, but 3 fuel inlet ports.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mark and Boydster. Will rotate tonight.

Post Thanks / Like
    "Rotate it" …….boy, been a few years.....sorry, struck me funny....da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Passed inspection. Now #45 in line to get a title.

Post Thanks / Like
    All legal now. I put 150 awesome miles on over the weekend. The heater needed a stop cap, made one of those today.

Painted the side exhaust a nice matt black with 2000* paint. Eventually will get them ceramic coated after the body paint is done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wander out when you get a chance.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Levy View Post
    Wander out when you get a chance.
    Yes, I will one of these Fridays. I will call first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DadofThree View Post
    #4)

until i fortunately remembered the"system under pressure" nugget of knowledge
    Force of habit on all my vehicles - Every time I fill up with fuel, I check the oil + squeeze the top radiator hose to make sure the system is holding pressure.

If it's not holding pressure I go hunting for why it's not...

Quote Originally Posted by RAMRobAZ View Post

Eventually will get them ceramic coated after the body paint is done.
    You're probably going to find that the front of the sidepipes are continually sandblasted from road debris coming off the front tires.

Ceramic coating may hold up longer - but a fresh coat of header paint every year or two makes me happier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hit 500 miles this weekend. Time to change the break in oil and do a safety inspection on a lift. Car is running great.

The only thing I need to figure out is the throttle cable. Too much resistance in the current one. I may have to get into the box and do a little bit of straightening.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations On Hitting The 500 Mile Mark!

Yes, I'm 100% Jealous!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! It's a stunner!
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

24. Likes RAMRobAZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! She looks awesome.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

26. Likes RAMRobAZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Two things to consider. For your throttle cable issue, you might consider Forte’s linkage kit. I’ve got it on mine and I’m also running fitech. As for the hanging idle, is it taking a few seconds to come down or is it just staying above your setting? Mine was hanging for about 4 seconds after I let off the gas. I adjusted the DFCO setting to remove fuel quicker and let it return to idle quicker.

Hope this helps.

Scott
    Built FFR9457. 351 Windsor, TKO600, 3.73. Fitech EFI. Russ Thompson throttle pedal, turn signal, and trunk pan. Carbon Fiber dash with Speedhut Revolution gauges. Paint by Jeff Kleiner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdonnel View Post
    Two things to consider. For your throttle cable issue, you might consider Forte’s linkage kit. I’ve got it on mine and I’m also running fitech. As for the hanging idle, is it taking a few seconds to come down or is it just staying above your setting? Mine was hanging for about 4 seconds after I let off the gas. I adjusted the DFCO setting to remove fuel quicker and let it return to idle quicker.

Hope this helps.

Scott
    Levy Racing figured it all out, and it’s running perfect. Took it for a ride today and it’s awesome.

29. Likes Gordon Levy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Inquiring minds want to know what the issue was? At least I do, anyway.
    Built FFR9457. 351 Windsor, TKO600, 3.73. Fitech EFI. Russ Thompson throttle pedal, turn signal, and trunk pan. Carbon Fiber dash with Speedhut Revolution gauges. Paint by Jeff Kleiner.

Post Thanks / Like
    New distributor, ignition system, rotated Fitech, larger fuel line, larger fuel pump, moved throttle cable away from brake booster, fixed some wiring sizes, balancer, alternator and some pixie magic from Levy Racing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Call me if you want to talk about what was found and the fix
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on your first 100.

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the car, but I need a new gas gauge. It shot so fast to E, compared to my other 4 cylinder cars.