Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ready to pull the trigger

Post Thanks / Like

Ready to pull the trigger

Hey everyone. I've been dreaming of building a factory five car since before my father died ten years ago. At the time I wanted to do a cobra. Fast forward to today and Oh my take look at that 818C. I've been drooling over the 818 for a few years. Now I find myself with a stage IV cancer diagnosis and no FFR. I'm 27 hours into the disassembly of a 2006 WRX donor. I hope to finish pulling it apart this weekend. I have watched the Grassroots Motorsports video's on you tube and the instructions on FFR's site. Being so close to having the shell towed away, is there anything that ends up being a commonly forgotten item in the shell that I will need later? This is the first of many questions as I take on this project. I'm a pretty mechanical guy. I did go to school for automotive tech many moons ago in high school. Tools are not a problem. My dad was the mechanic for the township police where I grew up. With his passing, his tool box is in my garage at home. Thanks in advance for all the help I'm sure you guys will give me in the coming months.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    'Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, and I wish you all the best.
    I didn't dis-assemble my donor, but had to scrounge for a few missing parts.
    Keep the hardware bucket! Door hinges. Door handles, latches, and interior trim rings. Door latch strikers. Horns. Rear-view mirror. E-brake parts, cables, and the little clips at the ends.
    Have fun with your build!
    818S #332, EZ30R H6, California licensed 01/2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave - Let me be the first to welcome you. I think you'll find many supportive people on this forum and I'm sure we can help with any questions you have along the way. I'm sorry to hear about your cancer diagnosis, but working on your 818C may be just what you need when you want to take your mind off your troubles for a while. And when you you finish your dream car, nothing feels better than that first drive!

Best of luck, and again, welcome to the club.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, welcome. Your 818C project is perfect for diverting your thoughts from your health challenge. Like DSR-3, I didn't disassemble a donor, but bought a pallet, but I can agree with his list, especially small brackets and fasteners. If you want air conditioning, save the compressor, condenser, and the lines. The under-dash donor HVAC unit is much too big to squeeze into the 818, so I went with Vintage Air. If power steering, save the PS pump, reservoir & lines. If ABS, save the donor ABS controller and wheel sensors. Power locks are easy to add if you save the donor lock actuators. Again, welcome and we are all eager to help spread what we've learned - even admitting some of our stupid mistakes. Well, maybe just a few mistakes.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, it's a big project but you can do it! The car has its issues but all things considered, it's a good little car. You will be tested, stretched, confounded but you will definitely learn something. Good luck & don't be afraid to ask for help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck with your future health m8 ... And just go for it .. you will be very happy building your car ,,,,,
    I really fancy building a 65 Coupe ....

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone. AZPete, I see you've built yours similar to what I plan, with power windows, locks, leather, etc. I'm keeping all the power steering pats but the idea of an electric PS set has crossed my mind.