Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11

Thread: Is this normal???

Post Thanks / Like

Is this normal???

To be completely scared **** less to pull the trigger on a complete kit? I mean, I know I want the car... I can turn wrenches. I don't have a full understanding of electrical or body work. I know I don't have the ability to make some of the custom parts that you guys make for these kits. I don't know the full history about the original cobra but I certainly plan on studying up.

What I do know is I want a kit that's as easy as possible to assemble. I will go without power steering, heat, radio... Any of the creature comforts. I just want an old school, big block 427 *** kicking monster. Guardsmen blue with white stripes.... Low back seats. Chrome drivers side only roll bar, chrome side pipes... Only modern things I want would be 18" halibrand wheels with a red wilwood brake upgrade. What do you think? Should I run? Or jump in the pool?

My current fun cars are a 2003 z06 H/C/I with 475whp/425wtq
    And a 2018 camaro ZL1... Stock motor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Likes Rotopod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! Yes it's normal to be nervous. I still remember when I saw my first build in person, a Mk3, and wondered if I had bit off more than I could chew. But just dove in and learned while asking a lot of questions. And making some mistakes. Goes with the deal.

You don't state which rear suspension you're thinking about. That's one of the bigger decisions. I highly recommend the IRS option. Best performance and most comfortable. I also highly recommend power steering, and I've had both. Not for lower effort necessarily, but for the ability to double the caster in the front suspension which improves how it drives. Don't dismiss it without really studying what it means. A big block 427 is cool and some build them. But small blocks have a lot advantages. A 351 block based 427 is what I would recommend if you're set on going that way.
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-05-2019 at 10:43 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

4. Likes ZL1_Matt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jump in, the water’s warm!
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

6. Likes ZL1_Matt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the insight! I'd like to try to stay as true to the 427 cobra as reasonably possible. It'll just be for car shows and the regular weekend cruise. I already have modern day muscle cars. I'm looking for something that truly feels "classic".

Post Thanks / Like
    Go for it! I built my car in my garage 17 years ago and have enjoyed every minute building and driving and working on it since. The guys on this Forum will give you a ton of help along the way. The fact that there was no welding was a big plus for me.
    Phil: FFR 3121, Frame #2050, Mk 1.5, built 2002, 1991 donor with Blueprint 302 long block and 1993 Cobra intake, BBK 70mm T/B, no smog, power steering, T-5 and 3.55 rear.

9. Likes ZL1_Matt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Building the MK4 Roadster has been a complete blast. Before taking on this project, I'd done a couple of brake jobs and other basic maintenance, nothing more. There are many builders here that have never done anything close to this before and have created amazing machines. Know your limits and if you aren't sure about a step in the manual, ask before making assumptions and you'll be fine. The roadster kits are very well engineered and require very little experience to complete a kit.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

11. Likes ZL1_Matt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love the Zo6!
    358 SBC, Winters QC, Sweet mfg, Coleman, AP Racing, ARS, TKO 600, Fuel Safe

13. Likes ZL1_Matt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pull the trigger! I have no regrets, working on my MK4 is great. Definitely go with power steering, its easy to install. IRS for sure. Just so you know, true old school would be ford small block 289. That is what the first cars were equipped with and is the engine which powered the Daytona coupe model at the 1966-67 Le Mans. They won the race those years.
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

15. Likes ZL1_Matt liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The Go-Dad Says Go For It!

Watch the assembly videos, all of them, and then get the manual and read it at least three (3) times.
    https://youtu.be/NnJdjMKDC_g?list=PL...VS-CVcPoK4x6lB

Also, consider going to the build school if you have any doubts after that because it will likely really help.
    https://youtu.be/MKsh3yTzGYA

If you want to stay on the Dark Side then contact me and I'll assist you as much as I can; however, I am a novice builder.
    In addition, it is not easy to go to the Dark Side so I'd suggest doing a SBF build to make this project easier.
    What ever you decide, you are welcome here!

Steve

My Dark Side Build Is Shown Below:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8m...=dd&shelf_id=1
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 04-06-2019 at 07:52 AM.

17. Likes ZL1_Matt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZL1_Matt View Post
    What I do know is I want a kit that's as easy as possible to assemble...I just want an old school, big block 427
    While "easy" and "big block 427" are not mutually exclusive be aware that although the roadster will accept an FE engine it does introduce a certain amount of additional complications and considerations and a significant amount of added cost. Otherwise, sure, if you can grab a wrench without poking yourself in the eye go ahead and jump in ---OR---if you have doubts attend the build school first.

Jeff

19. Likes ZL1_Matt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The fact that you posted this question on this forum (throwing red meat to wolves) means your decision has already been made. Congrats! I look forward to seeing the Stewart delivery pictures in 3 months...

(P.S. - looks like the hardest part of the build is already completed for you... Color choice.)

21. Likes ZL1_Matt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought about the BB 427 when planning my build, then planned on a 351 based 408, finally went Ford Crate engine Boss 351 / 427. Looks very classic in the Cobra and fits very well. You CAN do it!
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! I can't believe all of the positive feedback here! I really appreciate all of the insight! I wanted the 427 because that's what Shelby wanted after the Pete Brock designed Daytona coupe went faster. I actually had the pleasure of meeting Pete Brock a couple years ago and man he had stories to tell. What a great experience! You guys have me contemplating a lot now! I definitely look forward to this journey! I've been searching a lot and reading a lot on this forum. It gets quite intimidating how incredible some of these builds are.
    I have already decided that I will attend the build school no questions! I'm in the San Diego area if there's anyone out here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the pool...now start swimming!

It often takes me a day or two to start a task others have described as challenging. Then when I get into it, the task is much easier than what I had imagined. During my three-year build, there were only a couple of parts that I came close to heaving into the woods behind my house. But eventually I found the solution. I started with no knowledge other than how to change an oil filter; now I've got a car I pretty much understand.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    While "easy" and "big block 427" are not mutually exclusive be aware that although the roadster will accept an FE engine it does introduce a certain amount of additional complications and considerations and a significant amount of added cost. Otherwise, sure, if you can grab a wrench without poking yourself in the eye go ahead and jump in ---OR---if you have doubts attend the build school first.

Jeff
    I know I want the engine bay to scream "cobra" and sound like a raped ape! I am a die hard bowtie guy and I am only really familiar with ls engines. I'm crossing over to the dark side! I actually got a DVD and brochure on the kit like 8 years ago. I've been bouncing back and forth between the 33 hotrod and the cobra. I'm happy I'm finally confident with me decision. I had completely different plans for the hotrod lol
    Last edited by ZL1_Matt; 04-06-2019 at 11:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a note on safety. Low back seats are classic, but there is no headrest, and whiplash could easily be an issue. Consider high-back seats such as Cobra Clubman or Kirkey for safety.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ptstew View Post
    Go for it! I built my car in my garage 17 years ago and have enjoyed every minute building and driving and working on it since. The guys on this Forum will give you a ton of help along the way. The fact that there was no welding was a big plus for me.
    BTW, "The guys on this Forum will give you a ton of help along the way" also means that everyone will help you spend more $$ on upgrades, etc.!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I highly reccomend the build school . This is my third big auto project but first kit. It takes the mystery out of the build and the instructors are great. As a bonus you get $250 off the kit

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponymedic View Post
    I highly reccomend the build school . This is my third big auto project but first kit. It takes the mystery out of the build and the instructors are great. As a bonus you get $250 off the kit
    Yeah I remember the days the build school was only $500 and you got $500 off the kit... Oh well.. When is the best time to actually purchase the kit. I know FFR has deals certain parts of the year.

Post Thanks / Like
    RIGHT NOW!!! is the best time to buy a kit. This is one of the best sales you’ll see for the year.
    It’s $500 better than a normal sale plus more if your one of the first 10.
    So jump on in and pull the trigger! You won’t regret it.
    Welcome to the madness!!!!

https://www.factoryfive.com/whats-ne...ring-sale2019/

Kurt
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Could Paul or Jeff expand on the downside of using a FE engine? How much could these concerns be mitigated with an aluminum block and/or heads?

Post Thanks / Like
    Matt, I know where you're coming from. Like others have said, take the plunge. If you can read the FFR assembly manual, you can easily build one of these cars. Sounds like you're not interested in 'mods', so follow the FFR recipe and you'll have an amazing car. You don't need to be an engineer or tradesman to build these things. As for the FE 427...... my experience in 2012 was, you can still get used motors. Best place to look is marine applications. After factoring in machine shop costs, rebuild and go fast parts, and me doing the rebuild, it was still going to be a $15-20K hit to the budget. After much research, I opted for one of those new Coyote engines. A few had been installed in roadsters and FFR had most of the install bugs worked out. ( NOT ALL though). Regardles, it was an easy install. It may not have the impressive true to the original looks and sound you are looking for. Good luck and enjoy the build
    MkIV #7854, Kit picked up September 2012, Coyote/BOSS 302 intake tuned at 488HP, TKO600, Center Force, Moser 8.8, driveshaft safety hoop, Stainless Header 4x1x4 headers, Gas-N-sidepipes, rad shroud, Wilwoods, NO PS/PB, heater/defroster, heated seats, wipers, Herb door panels, Dynamat Extreme sound/heat dampening, premium Rodtop top, Fast Freddie lexan wind screen, Nitto 555R, drop trunk battery, drop trunk storage,

Post Thanks / Like
    Jump in! It's totally worth it

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyr View Post
    Could Paul or Jeff expand on the downside of using a FE engine? How much could these concerns be mitigated with an aluminum block and/or heads?
    Not Paul or Jeff, but here goes.

When I looked into it several years ago - it was going to be pick your HP / pay 3X the money / carry an extra 100-200 lbs forever.

So I built a 500hp / 500ftlb torque 393w.

Which I guarantee is no faster to 100 (on 200tw street tires, NT05) than it would be would be with 400 / 400 - but it does spin the (street) tires a lot better in 3rd gear from 70 - 100 (if you think that sounds like a good idea).

Choose your poison carefully.

So a mild 390 could work pretty well and might not be 3X the money.

Until you get into a bunch of aluminum parts - but there will be a weight penalty that route.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in Temecula......I paint these things.....I have two customer cars with body off and several bodies at dif points of completion . Gimme a call if you want to take a drive and take a look...da Bat 951-676-0191 (Jeff)

Post Thanks / Like
    To answer your original question, NO, its NOT normal... to want to be part of this group! I see da Bat is being especially genteel and polite in his post above but he's more often the leader of the abnormal parade. This place is full of whacked out gearheads chomping at the bit to encourage you to get on board and then help you spend MORE of your money! All in good fun.

This car may not be for everyone but it is THE car many of us (like you) fantasized about owning and driving. Building it was one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. Anyone can do it but all the successful builders I know are guys who persevere and stick with it when challenges pop up.

Sean
    MK 3.5 roadster (MK IV body retrofit to MK III chassis) 396W stroker, 4 bbl mass air EFI, QH (self-tuned), AFR 195CC Renegade, XE274HR, GP 4-1-4 SS headers, 3link, 3.73, 15" Halibrand replicas, SAI mod, bumpers, 2 X roll bars, I² electronics, PS, hydroboosted brakes: 95 GT front, custom MK VIII calipers/Cobra discs rear, FFR front, Levy rear LCA's, Forte front, VPM rear bars, CF dash, mod comp layout w/Auto Meter Ultra-Lites, Lucas tri-bar headlights, coupe taillights, painted by SRP (again!)

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are not scared, that means that you are not giving it enough thought. So you are on the right track. I actually had a sleepless night trying to decide on the rear suspension. Different suspension choices then. Now, I would choose IRS unless I was a drag racer. The other one is color, but you have that figured out so lucky you.

The BIG thing is figuring out how you will use the car and build for that. I drive on the street and autocross. P/S is a must for autocross. I highly recommend a heater, and I live in Florida. You mentioned car shows. You may have to head out early in the morning. That is when a heater comes in handy. Original Cobras have heaters.

I am definitely a fan of Wilwood brakes and ultra performance tires. You will be straying pretty far from original on this.

A couple Cobra facts. The 289 Cobras are the ones the really won everything. When the 427 came into existence, aerodynamics was coming into play, which these cars do not have. Most 427 Cobras actually had 428s in them.

There is tons of help here for every aspect of the build. We are especially helpful with spending your money. You can do it and we will be happy to help when questions come up.

If an FE 427 is what really does it for you, then go for it. Just do some reading to make sure you know what you are really getting into. They are not good for handling. Great for car shows though.

Here you go. Only $25,000 - $36,000: https://www.shelbyengines.com/collec...lby-fe-engines

38. Likes Mark Eaton liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck1 View Post
    To answer your original question, NO, its NOT normal... to want to be part of this group! I see da Bat is being especially genteel and polite in his post above but he's more often the leader of the abnormal parade. This place is full of whacked out gearheads chomping at the bit to encourage you to get on board and then help you spend MORE of your money! All in good fun.

This car may not be for everyone but it is THE car many of us (like you) fantasized about owning and driving. Building it was one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. Anyone can do it but all the successful builders I know are guys who persevere and stick with it when challenges pop up.

Sean
    Hey Sean......BITE ME ! or I'll bite you...… WAIT TILL HE'S IN THE TRAP BEFORE YOU SPRING IT.... Pull the pin, through the grenade......pull the pin, through the grenade …..follow procedure for crying out loud !...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
    Hey Sean......BITE ME ! or I'll bite you...… WAIT TILL HE'S IN THE TRAP BEFORE YOU SPRING IT.... Pull the pin, through the grenade......pull the pin, through the grenade …..follow procedure for crying out loud !...da Bat
    Not me, I'm going to throw the sucker.

Post Thanks / Like
    I build mine in 2015/2016 using a cast iron 390 FE and have been very happy with the results it put out 400hp and 475ftlbs some of the costs exceeded the price of installing a SBF but you can also spend a lot of money building any high performance motor

If you are going to spend the money necessary to build a nice roadster build what makes you happy because in the end the smile on your face as you drive down the road is the best return on your investment

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    You’ve got a lot of good advice so far! There are many first time builders that built outstanding cars. My advice is study the forum (why not learn from other’s experience), don’t get in a hurry and take it one system at a time. I didn’t go to the build school since I’ve built other cars but if you’re really green I’ve heard lots of good things about the school. Don’t be overwhelmed...if you think you can, you can!
    MK IV complete Kit - 1st time builder started Sept 2016
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS
    Power steering - Levy setup, Breeze roll bars, Thompson trunk box
    fuel injection, powder coating, sway bars, heater, wipers, 17 in wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    If you get worried about building an entire car, remember this.....

All you ever have to do is install ONE part. When that one is done, you install another one.
    All you have to do is hook up one wire. Then another one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    If you get worried about building an entire car, remember this.....

All you ever have to do is install ONE part. When that one is done, you install another one.
    All you have to do is hook up one wire. Then another one.
    How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. You are building a system of systems. Suspension, steering, brakes, cooling, fuel, etc. Focus on one at a time and before you know it, you're looking at a car that you built!

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    For someone doing their first build ever, this can be some of the most frustrating, and rewarding experiences you'll ever have. One of the best tools you have at your disposal are the two forums devoted to the FFR. A wealth of information. The guys on here are the best.
    Rick

Mk4 with Mr. Bruce FIA body, 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, Full Width Roll Bar with high brake lights by i.e.427, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI, First start 3/30/20, First go-kart 7/5/20, paint by Ken Pike