Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Factory Fifty - MK4 Coyote/T56 Build by Rotopod

Post Thanks / Like

Factory Fifty - MK4 Coyote/T56 Build by Rotopod

Like most of you - I have been wanting to build a cobra for years. There is just something about the design that keeps it at the top of my list of most alluring cars.
    I don’t know if it’s the shape, or the speed, or the sound, or the combination of it all, but it has always been my favorite.
    I turned 50 this year and decided it was time to get started.

My background is in control systems, robotics, and magnetic communications. This will be my first automotive project, and I am looking forward to working on the car with my kids.
    I was originally intending to install a 427 (based on the 351 Windsor), but after discussing engine options with friends, family and several FFR engineers at SEMA, I was decided to switch to the Coyote. Truthfully, I don’t think there’s an engine configuration that I wouldn’t enjoy. One of the challenges of this build is that there are so many choices that aren’t necessarily right or wrong – but rather just different -- that I could contemplate the design and options for years. With that in mind, here are my high-level build plans and initial add-ons from my order.

High Level Build

MK4 Complete Kit
    Independent Rear Suspension
    Coyote 5.0 Liter Gen 2 Engine
    Tremec 6-Speed Magnum T56 Transmission
    17” FFR Halibrand Wheels
    Wilwood Brakes (Red)
    Hydraulic Clutch

FFR Upgrades:

Powder Coating
    Body Cut-Outs
    Leather Seats
    Power Steering
    IRS
    GPS Gauge Set
    Stainless Bumper
    Wind Wings
    Sun Visors
    Windshield Wipers
    Swaybar (Front and Rear)
    Brake Duct Mesh
    Vinyl Dash with GloveBox
    Chrome Roll Bar DS/PS with FFR Grommets
    Center Dash Supports
    Koni Double Adjustable Shocks
    Oil Cooler
    Adj Seat Track
    IRS Center Section and Spindles
    Floor Mats

Additional Upgrades (it feels never-ending):

3/8” Stainless Steel Fuel Lines
    3/16” Stainless Steel Brake Lines
    AreoMotive Cannister Fuel Filter (5 micron)
    AreoMotive Adj Fuel Regulator
    Breeze 255 lph In-Tank Fuel Pump
    Breeze -6AN Flex Line and Adapters
    Breeze Upper/Lower Radiator Mounts
    Breeze Radiator Fan Shroud
    Breeze Hi-Flow Vent and -6AN Return
    Breeze Radiator Cowl Cover
    Breeze Engine Bay Battery Box
    Russ Thompson Trunk Box Kit
    Russ Thompson Turn Signal Indicator
    Replica Parts Steering Column Bezel
    Replica Parts Harness Bezels
    Replica Parts Dash Support Bracket
    Nitto NT555 G2 Tires (245/45-17 315/30-17)
    Relocate Gas Tank Strap Mount Location
    Wilwood Rear Brake Bypass Switch

Possible Upgrades:

Heater
    Heated Seats
    Electric Parking Brake
    TBD…

My wife made some creative modifications to the Factory Five artwork for my 50th B-Day.
    I guess there is no going back now
    2018-11-09 08.24.43.jpg

2018-11-09 18.06.35.jpg

I didn't want to cut into this cool cake - but it is a cake after all...
    2018-11-09 20.22.33.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome. You’ve done your research and you obviously have the support and blessings of your spouse. You are going to have a blast. Keep us in the loop and reach out for help anytime.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice looking build plan and best wishes making it happen! Support on the home front is a big deal, so congrats on that as well. Three comments about your build plan: (1) An oil cooler is not needed for the Coyote unless you're building a track machine then everything changes. The Coyote runs very cool with the standard kit supplied radiator. Plus the extra plumbing is just another place for trouble. If you want to see an oil cooling in the body opening, go for it. But consider having it just be a dummy, and not actually connected. (2) Looks like you've done your homework so expect you know it will be challenging to have the glove box option plus a heater. There are possible workarounds, but out of the box don't play together very nicely. (3) Not sure what you mean by a "Wilwood Rear Brake Bypass Switch." A proportioning valve? If so, just added plumbing not really needed with the standard Wilwood pedal box and balance bar setup.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    ...Not sure what you mean by a "Wilwood Rear Brake Bypass Switch." A proportioning valve? If so, just added plumbing not really needed with the standard Wilwood pedal box and balance bar setup.
    Sounds like he wants to do tire-destroying burnouts, like turn off the rears, stand on the fronts and let er eat...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you have a very nice build plan. Very close to how mine came out. Couple of suggestions first get a hid of leather off ebay and do the dash, trans cover. Leather will show the quality of build you have much better then the vinyl. Also look at the Breeze Coyote fuel system set up with filter and regulator that would save you a few dollars with a slick OEM set up. Also take a look at doing the drop trunk, it frees up a lot of storage space in the trunk.
    MKIV #9122 Ordered kit 5/24/17 received kit 8/11/17 MK4 Base kit +,First Start 4/7/18, First Go-Cart 4/22/18, In gelcoat, licensed and driving 8/11/18. Coyote gen2, T-56, 2015 IRS 3.31, 17" Halibrand replicas w/Nitto NT555 G2, Withby Motorcars power brake kit W/Wilwood pedals, 04 Cobra front brakes, 15 Mustang rear brakes with mods, power steering. Paint Jeff Miller Da Bat, Lexus Spectra Blue Mica W/Toyota Silver Sky Metallic strips. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Paul2STL-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    Sounds like he wants to do tire-destroying burnouts, like turn off the rears, stand on the fronts and let er eat...
    Like what you can also do with a line lock. Got it.
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-06-2019 at 03:31 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

7. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a great build plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the feedback. I have been very impressed by the support and thoughtfulness of this group.

Edwardb:
    I love the look of the oil cooler in the front. I have read that it really isn't necessary - but I am going to have a hard time leaving it non-functional. On the other-hand, I don't want to add failure points in my oil line. I will have to see how confident I am feeling when I get to that point in the build.

I may scrap the glove box in exchange for the heater. Or maybe add a low-profile glove box and try to squeeze it all in...

Boydster:
    You are correct Not sure how much use the brake valve will get, but I like the option
    Wilwood Valve.jpg
    I plan to mount it in the DS foot box so I can bypass it in the future if it causes too much trouble. The cut-off valve is like a line lock except it allows the brake line pressure to bleed back into the MC to prevent the rear wheel lines from holding any pressure.

Paul2STL:
    Great advice.
    I ordered both the prefabricated dash with glove-box, as well as a blank dash panel. I am not fully committed to the default gauge layout of the prefabricated panel, so I am strongly considering making a custom (race) layout.
    I will definitely look into the leather option.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Rotopod; 04-08-2019 at 02:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I swear the FFR truck is one of the longest trucks out there!
    2018-06-24 17.01.59.jpg

2018-06-24 17.09.53.jpg
    It took forever to get this kit!! Yes, that's my car... the last one off the truck. I think the transport went from MA to Canada, and the Mexico boarder before making it out to Utah.
    No worries, I was working to get my garage ready for this project.

2018-06-24 17.06.46.jpg
    The entire neighborhood came out to help unload the cargo (I have great neighbors!).

2018-11-10 10.45.05.jpg
    2018-06-28 21.44.58.jpg

BTW - I had started this thread on the other forum, but have decided to move it over here.
    Last edited by Rotopod; 04-08-2019 at 02:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard. Looks like a great build plan. Looking forward to following along. Dont have much to add but do have one question. What is magnetic communication?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    haha - Magnetic communication has similar (short range) applications to Bluetooth.

But instead of radiating energy into space...
    RF.jpg

the energy is contained in a modulating field.
    NFMI.jpg

This keeps the communications link secure. Good for military and medical applications - or anywhere you have a lot of wireless systems close together. It also works underwater.

Post Thanks / Like
    After drilling all of the aluminum panels,

2018-12-11 23.17.58.jpg
    I decided to removed the eBrake mounting bracket.

2018-12-11 13.55.33.jpg
    It was extending into the passenger area about 1/2".

2018-12-13 22.53.24.jpg
    Rather than grind down the excess material, or cut and re-weld, I decided to remove it and go with an electric parking brake.
    Also, I have heard that the T56 Magnum transmission is tight against the eBrake inside the transmission tunnel.

Really I just wanted an excuse to put some actuators in the car.

I plan to add some intelligence to the electric brake, like hill assist... not sure yet.
    R2 with Grant Imahara.jpg
    I minored in robotics so I guess I am just looking for a good excuse to do something robot-ish
    Last edited by Rotopod; 04-16-2019 at 04:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My son and I installed the differential. It is definitely heavy!

I had heard a lot of horror stories on getting this mounted - so I may have over prepared.

I used a transmission jack covered with a moving blanket to protect the finish and help keep the differential from shifting.

I lifted it with the shaft pointing straight up.

2018-12-19 01.16.39.jpg

I went up as high as I could get it and then rotated the shaft forward as my son lifted the jack up until the holes were lined up.

2018-12-19 01.28.08.jpg

I used some smaller bolts to get it aligned and held in place, and then replaced each temporary bolt with the final bolts one by one.

2018-12-19 01.54.46.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    When I went to mount the driveshaft adapter, I noticed that it does not seem to fit properly with the differential.

IMG-4079.JPG

The diameter of the gold adapter plate is too big to fit inside of the flange of the differential input shaft.
    2019-04-03 13.49.37-1.jpg

IMG-4078.JPG

2019-04-03 13.49.13.jpg

The manual states:
    "**There are two different Driveshaft adapters, one for center sections from automatic cars which is coated clear zinc.
    The Driveshaft adapter for center sections from manual cars is coated yellow zinc."

Strangely the Silver/Clear coated adapter plate fits, but the Gold/Yellow does not fit.

I guess it might be possible that one of the flanges was finished in the wrong color. But not both...
    What am I missing?

I cant see any reason not to use the Silver Adapter.
    Last edited by Rotopod; 04-16-2019 at 04:39 AM.