FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Radio will NOT FIT in center of dash with AC!

Post Thanks / Like

Radio will NOT FIT in center of dash with AC!

You can plan, measure, and guess all you want but sometimes it just don't help. I wanted my radio in the center of the dash below the guages. I measured the crap out of it with the body off (yeah, I know) and decided it would fit. Cut the hole and moved on. Now, during final assembly, I find it is not deep enough to accommodate the radio. In fact, it's about 1.5" to shallow.

I will fix this but wanted others to know the issue so they don't screw up like me. I will use an under dash mount for the radio and I will fit a pocket into the din 1 hole for my sunglasses and such.

This placement will not work with the AC unit installed:

1554581372046524879868.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably easier/better to find a radio that is not as deep. There are lots of them out there without CD/DVD that are shallower. That's the route I would go.

Post Thanks / Like
    I spent a few days building a center console to mount my double din radio/GPS in.
    I added some switches on the console and cut a hole for the shifter only to find out now with a console the shifter needs to be longer. The new longer shifter rod arrived yesterday.
    I'll update my build soon with pics.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, let me know when you find one that is less than 115mm deep. That's what I'll need. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    As long as you don't want a CD player (and to be honest who uses CD's anymore) this will fit your bill at 182mm wide, 53mm tall and 100mm deep. JVC KD-X360BTS digital receiver will do the trick, here is a link to the page at Cruthfield: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-jyda6D...D-X360BTS.html, here is the owners manual, the size is on page 43 https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Im...105KDX360B.PDF
    This will leave you 55mm to play with for your wiring behind it and at about $80 its a deal, you can even set the light of the radio to match the color of your interior as well!
    If you really want a CD player, mount it in the trunk remotely and make sure it can handle 5 CD's.
    Good luck!!
    Black & Copper #1028 ("The Mistress" according to my wife! )
    Brought home: Nov. 2017, GoKart: May 2018, will be Plated & on the Road April 2020
    Andreas

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a similar issue with my 1951 f1. Try finding a shorter radio without a CD player. Worked for me

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn! Who knew they made shorter radios? Now I feel super stupid spending the whole day fitting, priming, and painting the housing to mount under the dash. It''s a good thing I don't charge myself for labor.. I went ahead and ordered the shorter JVC which is same as my original choice meaning the harness, sirius, stuff will fit.
    Many thanks to the responders who got this old man out of trouble once again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AJT '33 View Post
    As long as you don't want a CD player (and to be honest who uses CD's anymore)
    Who needs CD’s.... my 8 track still works just fine...
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

9. Likes AJT '33, Mrallsport32 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SSNK4US View Post
    Who needs CD’s.... my 8 track still works just fine...
    Now that's funny................I don't care who you are

11. Likes SSNK4US, AJT '33 liked this post