BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Header bolt difficulties

Post Thanks / Like

Header bolt difficulties

Any words of wisdom?
    I have the FFR headers for the Coyote engine.
    Bottom bolts are tough to reach, can’t even get the two center bolts started.
    Any special tools or do I need to find someone with longer fingers😁
    Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a link to the "fun" it was on #9365... it's really not too bad!
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks John for pointing out the obvious. Reuse some of the existing studs.
    Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Header bolt strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Ray View Post
    Any words of wisdom?
    I have the FFR headers for the Coyote engine.
    Bottom bolts are tough to reach, can’t even get the two center bolts started.
    Any special tools or do I need to find someone with longer fingers😁
    Ray
    I have the Daytona coupe with Gen 3 Coyote. What worked for me on the header bolts is this:
    I had to remove them after engine install as the headers will not fit into place with the factory header studs in. Also, header bolt holes did not all align to allow for exact fit - soooo:
    I widened the bolt holes as needed in the headers using a drill and file. Install the header studs back in with header and gasket in place. If you have any trouble getting the header studs back in, then use flange head M10 x 1.25 x 30mm bolts. Use whatever tools you have that will fit. I used a variety of rachets, tight space wrenches and whatever could fit. As mentioned by another thread there is at least one that allows only the open end of the wrench with 1/8 turns at a time. Its a PITA job and caused a lot of bad language!! In the end I spent many more hours than I thought on this.....Just like on most other aspects of this project - good luck!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigShooter View Post
    I have the Daytona coupe with Gen 3 Coyote. What worked for me on the header bolts is this:
    I had to remove them after engine install as the headers will not fit into place with the factory header studs in. Also, header bolt holes did not all align to allow for exact fit - soooo:
    I widened the bolt holes as needed in the headers using a drill and file. Install the header studs back in with header and gasket in place. If you have any trouble getting the header studs back in, then use flange head M10 x 1.25 x 30mm bolts. Use whatever tools you have that will fit. I used a variety of rachets, tight space wrenches and whatever could fit. As mentioned by another thread there is at least one that allows only the open end of the wrench with 1/8 turns at a time. Its a PITA job and caused a lot of bad language!! In the end I spent many more hours than I thought on this.....Just like on most other aspects of this project - good luck!!
    Ditto...best to mock up headers prior to engine install. Bolt holes on the flange don’t line up perfectly and need a little massaging. Ratchet wrenches were a lifesaver along with an array of extensions and universals.