Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Polishing the Breeze...

Post Thanks / Like

Polishing the Breeze...

Hey guys. I've decided to get my Breeze stainless roll bars (2) polished. I've tried it myself and decided I'm either doing it wrong or it's gonna take way more time than I would reasonably expect. I've gotten 2 quotes to get them polished, both were in the neighborhood of $500 for the pair. I've already borrowed a tube sander and even with this, I think I'm looking at 10 hours per roll bar. That's just sanding to a level that will accept polish. I have no idea how long actual compound work will take.

Anyone have a good shop to get them done? Anyone else done it themselves and wanna share the tips to prevent it from becoming a 20+ hour job?

If it's gonna cost $500, I may be willing, but only with great recommendations.

Thanks in advance...
    Last edited by Boydster; 04-09-2019 at 02:50 PM.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Boyd.

Here in So. Calif, birth place of the hot rods, there are lots of places. You may have a harder time locating a shop in the east. I would try contacting chrome shops for referrals. Maybe even some powder coaters may point you to someone. Got any car clubs in MD?, they may have some ideas. Don't forget Google as well. I found some little hole in the wall shop here to do my one roll bar, the little sleeves for the quick jack bumpers, and touch up the quick jacks for $150. They did an excellent job as well. It's a nasty, exhausting, dirty job that polishing, but keep looking.

PS The new little dog is a handful. 10 megatons of energy and mischief. A good dog, but a handful.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

3. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Check with some shops that do TIG welding and fabrication. They should have the equipment to do a quality job. It is a lot of labor. My son-in-law worked at a metal fab shop and did my SS rollbars for me. When I asked him how many hours it took him he just shook his head and said a LOT!
    Mk IV Roadster, 347/516 HP, 8 stack injection, Holley HP ECU, Astro Performance T5, 3-Link 4.10 gears, A/C, PS, PB Purchased 08/2015, Graduated 02/2017

5. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boat737 View Post
    Hi Boyd.

Here in So. Calif, birth place of the hot rods, there are lots of places. You may have a harder time locating a shop in the east. I would try contacting chrome shops for referrals. Maybe even some powder coaters may point you to someone. Got any car clubs in MD?, they may have some ideas. Don't forget Google as well. I found some little hole in the wall shop here to do my one roll bar, the little sleeves for the quick jack bumpers, and touch up the quick jacks for $150. They did an excellent job as well. It's a nasty, exhausting, dirty job that polishing, but keep looking.

PS The new little dog is a handful. 10 megatons of energy and mischief. A good dog, but a handful.
    I did a lot of searching by Google... thats where I found the 2 shops so far that want about $500. Contacted 2 more this weekend, but they have not gotten back to me. Just went on the Cap Area Cobra Club forum and found 2 suggestions for metal polishers, emailing those guys now. There is a local huge club that limits to pre 1989 cars, but I'll reach out to them. They gotta know a good local polisher...

Thanks Boat. I remember the days of the energetic puppies. Whew. My girl is 6 this month... we're getting cheeseburgers.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bobl View Post
    Check with some shops that do TIG welding and fabrication. They should have the equipment to do a quality job. It is a lot of labor. My son-in-law worked at a metal fab shop and did my SS rollbars for me. When I asked him how many hours it took him he just shook his head and said a LOT!
    Good idea for another way to work the search engine. Thanks.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got 2 new quotes last evening. 2 roll bars. One quote for $550 to simply clean, machine apply polish and 1 coat lacquer for a current finish, high luster shine, and the other for $950 to grind / sand through different levels to a #7 or #8 mirror finish, also with 1 coat of lacquer.

So I guess they want about $50 - $100 per hour.

Still have some quote requests out there, but its looking like I'll be spending some serious amateur hours in the backyard.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    $500 was what I paid for 2 roll bars plus 4 small aluminum strips.
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

10. Thanks Boydster thanked for this post