Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: Brake/Fuel Line Clamps - rust free solutions

Post Thanks / Like

Brake/Fuel Line Clamps - rust free solutions

Looking at options to clamp down my brake and fuel lines. The supplied clamps appear to be steel. Are they coated? Will they rust?

What other options are you using? I have seen the Allstar two piece clamps Edwards used.
    MKIV #9542 Complete Kit, Coyote, IRS - Delivered - 2/19/19, First start - 9/8/19, Go Cart - 9/14/19
    1965 Mustang Convertible 4v 289
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Lodestone billetworks has line clamps.

http://www.lsbilletworks.com/
    MK2 #3319.... On the road since 2002 with a lot of upgrades

Post Thanks / Like
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    The FFR supplied cushion clamps that have been on my own car for over 12 years, 25K+ miles and dozens of rainstorms haven't rusted. Of course if you're the kind of guy who likes the idea of paying 5 bucks or more per clamp don't let me stop your fun

Jeff

5. Likes Aircontroller, Cobradavid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    The FFR supplied cushion clamps that have been on my own car for over 12 years, 25K+ miles and dozens of rainstorms haven't rusted. Of course if you're the kind of guy who likes the idea of paying 5 bucks or more per clamp don't let me stop your fun

Jeff
    You and your darn common sense.

7. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used these: American Shifter 61307 Stainless Steel Double Line clamp for my fuel/return lines and Inline Tube 3/16" Stainless Steel single line clamp for my brake lines

Both are available on amazon
    Mk4 #9165, Base Kit with lots of options, Delivery on 08/17/2017, Coyote, TKO600, 2015 IRS, 18" Halibrands, 12.99" Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm with Jeff, used all the clamps that came with the car. You'll have plenty of other things to upgrade (spend money on). Winter here is the best time to work and enjoy the build.

Jay
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the many ideas. Decided to stick with the provided clamps since there don’t appear to be any rust concerns. I’ll take the money saved an add it to the paint fund.
    MKIV #9542 Complete Kit, Coyote, IRS - Delivered - 2/19/19, First start - 9/8/19, Go Cart - 9/14/19
    1965 Mustang Convertible 4v 289
    Build Thread HERE

11. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzzz View Post
    Thanks for the many ideas. Decided to stick with the provided clamps since there don’t appear to be any rust concerns. I’ll take the money saved an add it to the paint fund.
    OR the engine fund or brake fund or the tire fund, etc etc.

13. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post

Jeff

Ditto, ditto, ditto. Most of the clamps cant be seen. Spend extra $$ on functionality or show. Upgrade some of the supplied black fasteners to stainless socket head cap screws
    MkIV #7854, Kit picked up September 2012, Coyote/BOSS 302 intake tuned at 488HP, TKO600, Center Force, Moser 8.8, driveshaft safety hoop, Stainless Header 4x1x4 headers, Gas-N-sidepipes, rad shroud, Wilwoods, NO PS/PB, heater/defroster, heated seats, wipers, Herb door panels, Dynamat Extreme sound/heat dampening, premium Rodtop top, Fast Freddie lexan wind screen, Nitto 555R, drop trunk battery, drop trunk storage,

Post Thanks / Like
    Upgrade some of the supplied black fasteners to stainless socket head cap screws
    Agree on the upgrade to the black socket head screws. Those things rust just by looking at them. I upgraded all of mine to stainless.
    Mk4 #9165, Base Kit with lots of options, Delivery on 08/17/2017, Coyote, TKO600, 2015 IRS, 18" Halibrands, 12.99" Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mlewis View Post
    Agree on the upgrade to the black socket head screws. Those things rust just by looking at them. I upgraded all of mine to stainless.
    Trading in rust for galling are we? Nothing in life is free.

A little FYI for anyone that doesn't know about stainless. They are very prone to galling.

Don't swap to stainless on anything that needs strength. Use anti-seize. Don't put a SS fastener where it would be impossible to drill it out or cut it off.

17. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used these nylon clamps from summit. They are pretty tough, and seem to work well. They come in a bunch of different sizes and configurations too.
    IMG_5685.jpg

19. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erstanl View Post
    I used these nylon clamps from summit. They are pretty tough, and seem to work well. They come in a bunch of different sizes and configurations too.
    IMG_5685.jpg
    I think those are wire separators. They may sell them as line and wire separators. If not, good thinking! I have a couple that are holding my throttle cable in place. The other side is clamped to a spark plug wire in a loom. Keeps it off the hot stuff.

Nice neat line installation, BTW!

21. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Avalanche325, this is the link to my fuel line clamps: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mfy-2037711
    These things are really tough, and the fit is really nice on the NiCopp lines. Impressed so far.

Thanks for the compliment by the way. That is quite a job making one piece fuel lines with AN flares. I am happy with the result though.
    Last edited by erstanl; 10-21-2019 at 04:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have some of these. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aww-500336
    Amazingly similar.

Post Thanks / Like
    There's an old HotRodder mantra...

"Chrome don't getcha Home"

Give a serious thought as to the REAL usage of these cars... Are you going to drive them in the salt/snow/muck?? NO... Will you get caught in the rain or on a wet road?? Probably. Will the clamps/fasteners EVER need to be removed in your lifetime or while you're the owner?? Probably not.

These things aren't the Space Shuttle or Mars Probe. They are CARS. Use the parts that are time-proven by the OEM's rolling around on millions of daily-drivers and spent your $$$ on something that genuinely will make the car more enjoyable.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Used clamps from Mcmaster-Carr. There called pipe routing clamps. drilled and tapped the frame for a stainless bolt.