Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Trunk Fitting on a MK III

Post Thanks / Like

Trunk Fitting on a MK III

I have a MK III that I purchased with all the cutout and holes done by FF. I trying to fit the trunk using the external hinges. I temporarily install the trunk seal and have the gaps pretty close. The top and left side of the trunk lays in place pretty good but the right side was raised about a 1/4" on the lower half of the trunk. I was able to remove most of the unevenness by adding one of the thicker bumpers on the left side (in addition to the water strip) and 2 smaller bumpers on the right side. Unfortunately there is still ablut 1/4" error on the lower right corner of the trunk. I don't see any way to adjust it out. Do I just need to live with it or should I try to build up the adjacent body section with body filler? I hate to slap on a 1/4" of filler but don't see any alternative. Any suggestions? Also when I turn the trunk handle, it raise the trunk slightly and makes the uneven sections worse. I'm pretty sure I can correct that by grinding some material from the throat of the latch. The trunk is so flimsily it hard to get it squared up when the only attachments are the two hinges at the top and the latching handle at the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like
    First , put a large rubber bumper on the R & L just past the crest of the radius of the opening. 2. Set the decklid in place and trim the lid to even gaps 3.You need to move the hinge holes forward. The 5/16( front peg) needs to be moved to 3/4 inch on center from the edge of the trunk opening. The other two move accordingly , this allows the trunk open properly instead of into it's own gap....da bat.....if you get stuck give me a shout. 951-676-0191(Jeff)