Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: John’s Excellent Oil Pan Adventure

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is the reason for the shape of the pan bottom & how do you do am oil change with that pan?

BTW on the 8QT dipstick measure, do the measurement on the stick after the engines is run so the oil galleries & filter are full.

EDIT: Some very important comments have been posted to the "other" site, might save an engine.
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 04-12-2019 at 12:17 PM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

2. Thanks phileas_fogg thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I feel for you John. Sounds like my experience last year when I changed my oil pan. I still haven't tried to fix the rear leak. I did not enjoy the whole job. I will have to save the Royal Purple I used (that stuff ain't cheap). The QuickJack lifts should make the job a lot easier.
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

4. Thanks phileas_fogg thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
    What is the reason for the shape of the pan bottom & how do you do am oil change with that pan?
    The pan is basically stock except the rear sump has been cut out & a slightly shallower but much wider “box” has been welded in. That gives the additional capacity vs stock.

Just like stock, there are two oil drains on the pan: one at the front & one at the back. The rear drain is the pan’s low point & has a magnet on the pan side of the plug.

John

P.S. Yes, the responses on the other forum are very helpful. For starters, the 8-quart capacity is for a FULL filter & FULL oil galleries. I’ll be editing my initial post accordingly.
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

6. Thanks BEAR-AvHistory thanked for this post